Strange Issue (permissions?)

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
mafaldatv

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange Issue (permissions?)

Post by mafaldatv » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:01 pm

Sort of an FYI for Gary with a question....

This morning noticed an ERROR that mxf file was 48 hours old. Decided maybe I needed to update EPG123 (had been awhile). When I tried that it said there was an error in updating EPG123. However the log file was not updated. I renamed the log file and ran install again. Same error AND when clicking on link to log file, WIN7 couldn't find it. I created a new trace.log and was able to write to it with notepad. But again, EPG123 wouldn't write to it. Rebooting didn't help. I had been running the install as administrator, but it certainly seemed like a permissions problem.

Eventually I came across the SECURITY/PERMISSIONS for the epg123 folder. As I am used to, EVERYONE had full control. However, "authenticated users" did not have full control. I updated the permissions for authenticated users to full control and tried install again. This time it worked and the log file was updated. I then did a guide update and it appears to have worked property.

The PC is only used for EPG123 and nothing had been done with it in ages but some how two days ago it appears that EPG123 lost ability to write to folder.

So... problem with the PC? Some strange bug in EPG123? And was giving full control to authenticated users a bad idea (suggestions)?

Thanks again to Gary for all his great work.

mafaldatv

Post by mafaldatv » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:23 pm

Correction... Should have said this PC is used only for Media Center and EPG123... FWIW

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:24 am

Authenticated Users is a more secure subset of Everyone. So you have not made the folder any less secure by doing that.

If the permission had got corrupted on the folder then it can stop them being evaluated correctly.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1