Old version: manually delete?

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
bdipert

HTPC Specs: Show details

Old version: manually delete?

Post by bdipert » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:55 pm

Gary, echoing what many have already said, thanks ever so for developing and maintaining EPG123! Your program (and the channel guide service it taps into) are a godsend for those of us stubbornly clinging to Windows Media Center.

After recently encountering my first (and only? Fingers crossed) Guide data loss situation:

viewtopic.php?t=11185

I realized that I was still running EPG123 v1.0.2 ("if it isn't broken, don't fix it"). I did an in-place upgrade to v1.6.3.0 per your instructions, and noticed afterwards that the new version of the software was installed at C:\Program Files (x86)\epg123. I assume it's this new version that's now running (I recall there was an "this program has stopped" message related to EPG123 mid-upgrade, which I assume was your setup software shutting the old version down), however the old version still resides on the HDD at C:/epg123, and there's still a shortcut to it on the Desktop.

Can I just manually delete all this old stuff?

bdipert

Post by bdipert » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:14 pm

Gary, as followup, turns out it actually looks like I'm still running the old version of epg123.exe located at C:/epg123. When I pull up the v1.6.3.0 configuration utility from the menubar icon it gives me a Configuration Warning that:

"The location of this program file is not the same location configured in the Scheduled Task.

This program: C:\Program Files (x86)\epg123\epg123.exe.

Task program: C:\epg123\epg123.exe."

Looks like the earlier upgrade attempt I did wasn't complete, and left me with two copies of everything (and the old version still running). Thoughts? All is working fine at least for now; my earlier database rebuild restored not only the Guide but all of my upcoming recordings, including my series entries, so I'm reluctant to re-do everything from the very beginning unless I have to.
Last edited by bdipert on Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:18 pm

Since you had an old version (before I created the installation file), the setup didn't know where your existing install was and defaults to the program files location. If the new version is working for you, then yes, just delete the old.

Just to verify, you deleted your old scheduled task and created a new one for the new location, correct?

EDIT: You posted the answer to that question. You don't need to redo anything, just need to delete your current scheduled task and create a new one.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

bdipert

Post by bdipert » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:34 pm

That's reassuring to hear, Gary, thanks! I'll dive in posthaste and redirect the task to the new version.

Does it make sense that I still seem to be seeing daily Program Guide updates within WMC as currently configured, BTW?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:54 pm

Yah, it makes sense. epg123 doesn't run in the background or anything like that, so the scheduled task pointing to the old install is simply running the old version. Once it points to the new location, it will run the new version.
- Gary

bdipert

Post by bdipert » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:06 pm

Gary, thanks for your patience. I've deleted the old task (exported it from Task Scheduler first, for just-in-case posterity), and am in the process of creating the new one within EPG123 Configuration. It's been a few years since I last did this ;-); I want to enable "Automatically import guide data into WMC", correct? And what about "Automatically match stations to channels"? I don't "think" this was enabled last time. I'm using Comcast/Xfinity in Denver, CO via a CableCard and SiliconDust HD HomeRun Prime.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:11 pm

I would suggest enabling both. The first one, of course, is to import the listings into WMC. The second is to automatically map the listings to the channels based on the channel number.
- Gary

bdipert

Post by bdipert » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:15 pm

All set, Gary. I'll let it auto-run tomorrow morning and assume all will be well. How can I send you some $$$ to show my gratitude? Do you have a PayPal account?

bdipert

Post by bdipert » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:16 pm

Found the PayPal link on the install page! (might want to put upfront on the home page, too?)