Windows Store containers in WMC?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Blacktimes

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Store containers in WMC?

Post by Blacktimes » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:45 am

Hi forum, I have tried everything, Kody, Plex, Media Portal, Embry and god know what else but for me Windows media Center is still the best, simple interface, practical and "clean". I am running 8.8.5 on Windows 10 and no issues, have customized with MCE Toolbox and have even got the old Netflix WMC app up and running.

What would be absolutely perfect is the ability to add Windows Store apps, what I´m really looking for is Prime Video, latest Netflix, etc. The problem is that I am able to install and they run perfectly from Windows but cannot get them to run from WMC. They are containers and do not have executables. MCE Toolbox only works with executables and I have tried manually adding app containers to WMC through the registry but have not managed to make any work.

Does anyone know how to make a Windows Store app container run from WMC?

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:24 pm

WMC does not support the new codec format, Media Foundation. It uses DirectShow codecs.

I'm pretty sure anything from the store is based on the Media Foundation codecs.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

Blacktimes

Post by Blacktimes » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:01 am

Thanks Shark007, what a shame that development was dropped for this fantastic software...

Blacktimes

Post by Blacktimes » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:09 pm

Ok, very close to getting Windows 10 Store apps working from MCE. For example for Amazon Prime, installed app from Store, and created Application point with MCE Reset Toolbox with the following:

Path c:\windows\explorer.exe
Arguments shell:appsFolder\AmazonVideo.PrimeVideo_pwbj9vvecjh7j!App (obtained from shortcut properties, each PC may be different).

Amazon Prime will start from MCE but MCE does not close even though "When launched do the following" is marked as closed.

Any ideas? Prime (and other apps) works but MCE does not close. If this could be solved and MCE closes and reopens after App use I think it could be an important turning point for the software and users!!!