EPG123 Bug Reports

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by IT Troll » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:12 pm

v1.6.1.3 wrote:[update] will not log, or try to fix, any merged channels that have a nul primary channel
Thanks, log is nice and tidy again now. :thumbup:
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:16 pm

Downloaded Logo Image Naming

It used to be some time ago that the downloaded logo images were named <callsign>_d.png.
Then recently (few months ago) it changed to just the <callsign>.png.
Now with version 1.6.2.0 it is back to saving the downloaded logo images as <callsign>_d.png.

So now there are both (double) the downloaded logo images (with and without the _d suffix).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:42 pm

Right, I noticed shortly before this last release that the server wasn't respecting the preferred logo choice and would always download the "without" suffix. I believe I broke it in v1.6.0.6 when I did a lot of code changes using JetBrains reSharper program and ended up changing the capitalization of the logo choice enumeration. Since the setting in the config file was all lower case, and the enumeration ended up being all uppercase, it would default to the non-suffix logo.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:31 am

How about making it so that if a non suffixed logo file exists it will override the downloaded (_d suffixed file)?
Something like that I think would be handy for our custom logos.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:32 am

I you select to include SD logos, but tell it not to download as primary and none as secondary, it will use the non-suffixed logo that is present in the .\logos folder.
logos.PNG
logos.PNG (2.86 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:02 am

I haven't looked too closely at how the logo's work, but I do know that I spent some time finding/creating all the perfect logos for my system, and then I installed the version of EPG123 with the new Preferred/Alternate logos and it completely changed all my logos. So I think that shouldn't happen.

Perhaps it can use the non suffixed logo if it exists, and if not, then use the suffixed logo? This way you can have manually set logos for some channels and still have the other channels (newly added channels or ones for which you don't have your own logo) use the logos from SD. Then if you want to revert to the SD logo from you own logo, you just delete or rename the non-suffixed logo and it will revert to using the existing suffixed logo.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:14 pm

Here is what I am going to do. Custom logos will override the preferred/alternate logos but the filename will have to be "{CallSign}_c.png". If the file exists it will be used, if not, then the same logic will be used to download logos from SD. The problem is that currently SD can offer up to 5 logos; dark (_d), white (_w), light (_l), gray (_g), and a default (no suffix). These are the possible files that a user has in their .\logos folder currently. If I make the custom logo name the same as the default logo from SD, then I will be changing a whole lot of folks current logos.
- Gary

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:10 pm

This sounds good Gary. Looking forward to it.
I'd request one thing though. Download the SD logo even if the _c logo exists. At some point the SD logo may get updated and be better than our custom logo and we may decide to use that.
Thanks

P.S. I'll get busy adding the _c suffix to my custom logos. Actually it will only take minute. Only have maybe half dozen custom logos.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:03 am

NOYB was reading my mind. Yes, please download logos even if there is a custom logo (for the same reason given by NOYB). I would think download the preffered logo it it exists, otherwise the alternate. I don't think you need to download both, although others may have other opinions.

If there is a new version of a previously downloaded logo on the SD server, will it be re-downloaded? If so, will it only download it if it is new, or will it just blindly re-download periodically (because it can't tell if there is a new one). When a station completely changes branding with a new logo, I'd like that situation to result in the new logo being downloaded and automatically used (if no _c logo exists) or appear in the logos folder so that I can manually delete the _c logo if I like the new one.

I currently have both _d and non-suffixed logos in the logos folder. I assume the ones that are being used are the _d since I have dark backgrounds/white set in the settings.

It's been about a year since I set up my custom logos. I used a non-suffixed name for them all. When I look at the ones in the logos folder now, many of them all have the exact same modify date/time, so I assume they were all overwritten and my custom ones are gone. I don't think I saved them separately, so I guess I'm out of luck to get them back. It's not a big deal, most of the logos in use now are fine, although there are a few that are too small and I would like to set up a custom one for those.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:54 am

I'm testing out the code right now, when I can, in that it will download the preferred logo even if a custom logo exists... and still use the custom logo for WMC.

EPG123 has never copied over any file in the .\logos folder. All those that you see with close to the same timestamps were all downloaded because a file of that name didn't already exist; which leads to the idea of checking to see if there is a better logo available to download. Because I never copy over a file that already exists, you will have to delete the non-custom logos for the stations to see what you get on next update. The discussion today has started me thinking of adding another form to the server that you can right-click a station and see the logos currently in the folder along with the logos available for download. Of course your next question would be can I make it so I can save the available download to the .\logos folder and copy over the existing one. My response is one step at a time, please.

The method I put in place for all this, though quite manual, is the [Collect all station logos for subscribed lineups from SD] button on the server. It will download every single available logo from every single station in your subscribed lineups, not just the INCLUDED ones. I just did it earlier for 2 lineups (1-OTA and 1-cable) and it downloaded 2,616 logos all named by the station with a numeric suffix. Obviously a shotgun approach.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:11 am

Okay, everything looks good here. Version 1.6.2.2 is available for using custom logos.
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:36 am

I'll have to take a closer look at my logos then. I'm guessing that all the non-suffixed ones that had the same timestamp were the ones I didn't customize and there are also non-suffixed ones that have a different timestamp which are the customized ones (not that many).

I assume right now, none of the customized ones are being used since I have it set to use the dark background SD ones (_d). So all I have to do to get them back is rename the ones I modified to have a _c suffix. I think what I'll do is rename all those to have _c, then delete all the other non-suffixed ones. That should make EPG123 use the _c ones (for those that have them) and the _d ones for the remaining ones.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:12 am

Gary,

Capture2.JPG
I installed the latest version of EPG123 (1.6.2.2) and got the above error. I was recording two shows and was viewing live TV in a window within WMC at the time, so I am guessing this may be the reason. It appeared to be creating a shortcut at the time. I pressed the "OK" button and the install appeared to complete without any further error.

I exited WMC and re-ran the install just to be safe, and it did not give an error the second time.

Just wanted to report this to see if you could confirm the reason for the error.

Thanks.

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:29 am

I've been getting out of memory error on notebook machine when installing the last few updates. Task manager shows less than 50% usage. Reboot solves it.

Installs without error on the HTPC machine.

Both machines are Win 8.1 with 8GB RAM.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:04 am

Space wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:12 amJust wanted to report this to see if you could confirm the reason for the error.
Neither the installation package or epg123 cares what WMC is doing. It certainly looks like the problem happened when trying to save the start menu shortcut. I don't have an explanation.
NOYB wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:29 am I've been getting out of memory error on notebook machine when installing the last few updates. Task manager shows less than 50% usage. Reboot solves it.
The only thing I have changed in the installation package for 1.6.1.3 (1/27/2021) was to include the epgTray.exe.config file when I included the option to notify on ERRORs only, and to start the tray application as the current user rather than the same elevated user the installation package is running under. I can't imaging the .config file would have anything to do with it, but maybe starting the tray application? Weird if it is, unless it is a user issue I didn't think about.

Prior to that, the last change to the installation package was with 1.5.0.0 back on 10/25/2020.
- Gary

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:26 am

It's only been very recently. Don't recall which update it began but seems like maybe 3 or 4 or so ago.
Soon as I click the install button it hangs for a few seconds then pops up out of memory dialog box.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:10 am

Do you recall if after a reboot the tray application was running before trying to install again? It should kill the tray process before deleting it and copying over the new version.
- Gary

NOYB

Post by NOYB » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:01 am

Just now checked. Yes the tray application is activated shortly after the reboot.
Attachments
Snap1.jpg

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:36 am

Thanks. I'll try to see if that means anything. The Inno help isn't very useful.

Code: Select all

3	A fatal error occurred while preparing to move to the next installation phase (for example, from displaying the pre-installation wizard pages to the actual installation process). This should never happen except under the most unusual of circumstances, such as running out of memory or Windows resources.
Having memory problems on the laptop with anything else?

EDIT: This is interesting. https://stackoverflow.com/questions/277 ... indows-8-1
- Gary

Gripweed

Post by Gripweed » Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:55 am

I'm 1000% sure that this has nothing to do with EPG123 but I just want to warn Silicondust Prime users (and there are a lot here) that when I updated 2 of my 3 Primes today to the very latest firmware (20210210) I lost all of my channels except for the Emergency Channel (EAS). My last Prime I did not update and all the 500+ channels are still there. My 2 Connects weren't harmed either. Nothing is written about it on the Silicondust forum yet. Maybe it is just me. Be cautious if you do update.