Opinions sought: Moving to Windows 10 WMC?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
RodBarnes

HTPC Specs: Show details

Opinions sought: Moving to Windows 10 WMC?

Post by RodBarnes » Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:28 pm

I've been running WMC 6.1 on my original Win7 HTPC for over 10 years. It all still works pretty well but, hardware-wise, it's getting a little old. Certainly, there is some merit to just keeping this system as it is (no worries about MS updates ruining things) but I'd like to prevent my having to scramble when it just dies on me some time in the future. This system uses WMC for DVR of OTA broadcast and Plex for managing my music, photo, and movie libraries. I understand that Plex is supposed to support my old Hauppage tuners but before I go down that rabbit hole:

I'm wondering how well the WMC on Windows 10 is now working, whether it is reliable, etc. I still like very much the way WMC works for DVR.

technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by technodevotee » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:15 pm

WMC 8.8.5 works well for most people even on Windows 10 20H2 but there are some issues.

It is only available for 64bit versions.

Some people have reported issues with using older tuners.

The feature that downloads metadata for the music library causes WMC to crash and needs to be disabled. Microsoft discontinued this service some time ago anyway so it doesn't really make much difference.

Microsoft discontinued the Guide Data so an alternative sources such as EPG Collector or EPG123 is needed.

Cable cards and extenders haven't worked since V 1511.

Major update 'break' WMC and it needs to be removed and reinstalled.