While recording show hit pause, does it pause recording?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
sdowney717

HTPC Specs: Show details

While recording show hit pause, does it pause recording?

Post by sdowney717 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:07 am

I did not think it did. We were recording the football game, I had hit the red button. Then clicked pause.
It recorded about 26 minutes of the game.

I ate dinner, then went back to view it and recording was off.
So why would it not continue to record the after game was over stuff?
Was that some kind of broadcast break, like the end of the event and it quits?

Watching it now to see where it actually stops recording.

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:25 am

It must be the block ended like at the 30 minute mark etc... Because it quit recording the last 5 minutes of the game.

Is there a way to make it record past that point? It was live, its not a prerecorded show you know.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:17 am

If you view it live it will just keep recording up to a certain amount (you can configure the "pause buffer" using the Tweak tool that comes with EPG123, even if you don't use EPG123 for you guide data). Once it hits that amount of recording time, it unpauses the video.

If you hit the record button, then you are no longer watching "live" and are watching the recording, and the recording will only be for the block that is in the guide (like you indicated). You can add padding to the recording (even while it's recording) to extend the recording to several hours past the normal end time.

Note that if you hit record while watching live, you may still be watching the "pause buffer" version and not the recording. In that case it will not end when the recording ends, but I am not sure of the exact conditions under which this occurs. I very rarely use the pause buffer so am not that familiar with it's idiosyncrasies. But I think if you are watching the pause buffer but are behind (used skip back or rewind) when you press the record button, the recording will start in the background and you will still be watching the pause buffer, but you would have to test that out to be sure.

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:11 pm

So you can not record a full live event since the end is unknown? Unles your sitting there watching it to click record again?
You mention adding padding to the recording to the recording while it is recording, how do you do that?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:43 pm

sdowney717 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:07 amI ate dinner, then went back to view it...
In these situations (where I may be away for an hour or so) I hit pause because (years ago) I set my "Live TV Buffer" to 2 hours. So if I'm gone for two hours, or more, I really don't miss anything.

It's been my experience that the "buffer" discards the oldest frames and keeps the most current two hours of content. Worst case scenario? You have the most recent two hour segment of whatever channel you've paused. If you switch to another channel, the buffer clears and restarts.

How to manually set your buffer.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Nov 27, 2020 6:17 pm

sdowney717 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:11 pm So you can not record a full live event since the end is unknown? Unles your sitting there watching it to click record again?
You mention adding padding to the recording to the recording while it is recording, how do you do that?
I don't have access to WMC at the moment, but if you go to the "Actions" page of a recording program there should be an option there that allows you to add more recording time to the end of the program.

I can't find a picture on-line of the "Actions" page, but you get to it by going to the Synopsis page and then using the right arrow. Here is a picture of the Synopsis page for a recording: