WMC Doesn't Record

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
DanCallaghan

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Doesn't Record

Post by DanCallaghan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:35 am

Gary, I've been running EPG123 for months with no problem. Then today WMC simply stopped recording anything scheduled to record in the guide. I made sure to upgrade EPG123 to v1.5.1.0 and ran the client install over again. Lineup was blank when I finished so I was forced to use the Restore Database Utility to restore the most recent backup but WMC still isn't recording. Manually clicking the record button while watching any program also fails to record anything.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:29 pm

Can you watch live? What OS are you using?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

DanCallaghan

Post by DanCallaghan » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:12 pm

Yes, I can click on any current show (live) from the guide and watch it, but clicking the record button (bottom of WMC watch screen) does not record anything (although the guide indicates the show is being recorded). Clicking on Live TV from the main TV menu works to watch programs too. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I've also been doubling checking the Recorded TV folder on my hard drive to confirm no new shows were recorded just in case the Recorded TV WMC screen wasn't updating. I would send you the log file(s) but clicking on View Log from EPG123 Open Client GUI screen just appears to close the client without showing any log files.

I have two OTA tuners. I live in the DFW Metroplex BTW. From the guide I can still schedule up to two shows to record at one time before the guide shows a scheduling conflict so that aspect is working normally as well, just nothing recording.

PS love EPG123. You've made a super great product!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:37 pm

Someone a month ago had, what appears to be, the exact same problem. It turned out that the WMC "StartRecording" and "mcupdate_scheduled" tasks were corrupted. Removing WMC and adding it back in didn't help, but deleting the task did. Take a look at viewtopic.php?p=102301#p102301 to see if this works for you.

After deleting the task, WMC will recreate them and that user's problems went away and everything worked after that.
- Gary

DanCallaghan

Post by DanCallaghan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:15 am

Gary, I followed the instructions, deleting the "mcupdate_scheduled" file in "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center" directory after closing WMC. I then relaunched WMC. The file was successfully recreated and shows 'Date created' of 11/19/2020.

Unfortunately the problem persists, cannot record anything. I decided to reboot the PC. Then launched WMC again. No change, problem persists.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:29 am

Did you delete the StartRecording task as well. I mentioned mcupdate_scheduled because that user had 2 corrupted tasks.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

- Gary

DanCallaghan

Post by DanCallaghan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:05 am

OK, I closed WMC and deleted "StartRecording" file then relaunched WMC. Still not recording, but when I checked the directory the StartRecording file hasn't been recreated.

FYI, "Automatically download Windows Media Center data between the following times:" isn't/wasn't checked in Settings -≥ General -≥ Automatic Download Options if that matters.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:25 am

Try to schedule a recording in the future to see if StartRecording gets recreated.

I'm running out of ideas, but lets check the recorders. Go to settings->TV->Guide->Edit Channels, select a channel you are trying to record on and click [Edit Sources]. Make sure your tuners are checked/enabled.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:32 am

Well this is interesting. viewtopic.php?p=142639#p142639
- Gary

Space

Post by Space » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:11 am

Yes, I would say that the symptoms here are pretty much the same as my issue. A reboot did clear the problem, not sure if that was tried here.

If this happens again, I would like to maybe try stopping/restarting processes or run one of the recovery processes in the task scheduler, but I am not familiar enough with these things to know which ones to try.

DanCallaghan

Post by DanCallaghan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:38 am

Gary, I read that article. Is it talking about the EPG123 log files? Not sure what that article is suggesting I do. I'd love to supply you with my EPG123 log files if that would help but I'll need some instructions on how to do that.

Yes, I reboot the PC every time I make changes to WMC files or tasks, just to be safe. Rebooting hasn't resolved anything, at least not yet.

I came across the following article:
http://windows.fyicenter.com/4321_Start ... ows_7.html

Based on that article I checked for:
Task Scheduler -> Task Scheduler Library -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Media Center -> "StartRecording" task.

It was missing. Based on the article I did my best to recreate the task, then ran it and launched WMC. I then checked the "C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\Media Center" directory and lo and behold the "StartRecording" file had been recreated. We previously managed to recreate the "mcupdate_scheduled" file.

I then attempted multiple methods to start a recording but all failed. At least now both tasks "mcupdate_scheduled" and "StartRecording" are present and both files "mcupdate_scheduled" and "StartRecording" have been recreated in the Media Center directory.

I know that doesn't resolve my recording issue but at least the possibility of corrupted files in the Media Center directory can be put to bed now, right?

I hope you won't stop checking with friends and associates regarding possible resolutions to fix this problem. I know with complex issues like this it's not a matter of a day or two, but more often much longer waiting for people to get in touch.

If you just run out of ideas I understand. I know (from my years in computer tech support) that the garden variety resolution that would normally be given to a customer in my situation is: "Uninstall WMC and EPG123 then reinstall both and start over. If that fails reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate x64, WMC, and EPG123. If that still fails then it's likely WMC and EPG123 are incompatible in your current configuration."

LOL, I've been around the bend a few times. If there's any other info or data that you need from me please just let me know. I still appreciate your product even without recording because it allows me to view the guide in WMC even if it's only for watching live programs.

Thank you, Dan

DanCallaghan

Post by DanCallaghan » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:54 am

You spoke about starting/stopping processes (Windows Services?) and running some of the 'recovery processes' in the task scheduler. I checked into that. Two tasks in the task scheduler are "disabled"; "PeriodicScanRetry" and "RecordingRestart". Should I re-enable these and run either one or both?

FYI, I opened services.msc and stopped/started; "Windows Media Center Receiver Service", "Windows Media Center Scheduler Service", and "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service".

No help unfortunately.

PS "InstallPlayReady" task has never been run. If PlayReady isn't installed could that prevent WMC from recording due to copyright infringement?

- Dan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:41 pm

PlayReady is only needed for cable and DRM. There is no DRM for OTA so that is fine.

Not sure on the PeriodicScanRetry, but I believe this in only to download package updates from MS servers which are down now. That being disabled is not a problem.

RecordingRestart is enabled by WMC whenever you have an active recording. This is in case when your machine reboots during a recording, when it comes back online it will start recording again.

Unfortunately, EPG123 has no control/influence on WMC recording. It only provides the guide information which by all indications is working properly. Your guide is populated and recordings are being properly scheduled. Whatever this is, it is something with WMC itself or Windows. I'd hate to say it, but my only next idea is to remove WMC and add it back in. The good news is if you do that, your WMC database is untouched and you won't have to do any additional setup.

If you watch a live program, can you pause and rewind? If you can, then at least it is saving the live stream to your drive.

The client closing when you click the [View Log] button is disturbing. Could you send me the log file (c:\programdata\garyan2\epg123\trace.log) to support@garyan2.net? That is just weird. Does everything else look okay in the client? Both sides are being populated?
- Gary

DanCallaghan

Post by DanCallaghan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:15 am

OK, I've opened Windows 7 Programs and Features (from Control Panel) and clicked on the sidepanel link "Turn Windows features on or off". I then expanded "Media features" and unchecked "Windows Media Center". That gave me a warning message that turning off Media Center might affect other Windows features and programs. I clicked YES anyway, then clicked OK. Windows acknowledged making the changes offering to "Restart Now", which I clicked.

I'm just putting the uninstall comments in here just in case any other users have questions in the future for how to do this, LOL. PC rebooted.

Once Windows was up again I reopened Programs and Features and reenabled Media Center then rebooted the PC again.

Upon launching WMC received an error msg "Windows Media Center has corrected a problem with your recording data and will download the Guide again. You should review your recordings to verify they are still scheduled correctly."

Followed by a second error message "Windows Media Center experienced a serious problem. Before you can watch and record TV, you must set up your TV signal again (go to TV > Live TV Setup)."

Followed by a third error message "Windows Media Center experienced a serious problem. Before you can use Windows Media Center, you must run Windows Media Center Setup again."

I ran WMC setup again, making sure not to agree to install the Guide, just installed 2 OTA tuners and ran TV Channel Scan successfully. No guide was present so I was forced to open EPG123 Configuration v1.5.1 and "Save & Execute" again.

Gary, EPG123 system tray task showed "Downloading - 10/10 Clean and save cache file...", but when I open EPG123 Client Guide Tool v1.5.1 Guide Channels display properly on the left side but Lineup on the right side is blank. This has happened to me before - and I just chose to "Restore" a backup.

What do you want me to do now? Should I restore a backup again or do I need to rerun "Client Setup" in order to repopulate the Lineup or run "Rebuild WMC Database"? WMC doesn't show a guide and recording Live TV still doesn't work.

Gary, I've emailed you the log file(s). Hope that helps you with the View Log issue. Again please let me know if there's anything else that I can do to help? Yes, everything else on EPG123 client looks correct, as far as I can tell.

PS, I'm a rural Texas cattle/sheep/goat rancher and it's lambing season for us on the ranch (happens twice yearly), not to mention dealing with covid-19 and all the restrictions (we're classified as an 'essential business'). WMC acting as my DVR for OTA is one huge stress reliever although I also stream Netflix/Hulu/Amazon Prime/Disney+/CBS All Access/ESPN/Hallmark. I'm in a ranch outlying building so unlike the main house I don't have DirecTV.

- Dan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:38 am

If the tray icon was only showing "Downloading - 10/10 Clean and save cache file...", then it looks like it did not start an import of the MXF file. Open the client and verify your Scheduled Task is set for "Full Mode". If not, that is why you didn't have anything on the right side of the client.

Please do not use a [Restore] unless other options have been used.

In the client, since it did not import the guide, you can click the [Manual Import] button and select the epg123.mxf file. When that is done, click the Match by: [# Number] button and the right side should be populated and you should have a guide. At this point, you can open WMC and check the guide, Live TV, and recording.

I did respond to your email and it looks like you have a permission problem starting around 11/18. Let me know if you didn't receive the email.
- Gary

DanCallaghan

Post by DanCallaghan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:29 am

Full Mode is greyed out. So I imported the epg123.mxf file successfully. I clicked the Match by "# Number" botton, however Lineup was populated again as soon as I finished the Manual Import.

Guide is working properly.

I replied to your email Gary. Record of Live TV or from the guide still doesn't work. Based on your email comments I'm making sure all my Windows User Profiles have Full control of both my C drive and my D drive (where recordings are stored) even though that should be unnecessary as all profile are Administrators.

- Dan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:32 am

I think I see what is not working for the [View Log], seeing what you find from my email.

For Live TV, can you pause and rewind a live broadcast? Watch for a few minutes and then see if you can rewind to where you started.
- Gary

DanCallaghan

Post by DanCallaghan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:59 am

Yes, per your email I changed trace.log file association from "unknown application" to "notepad.exe". That fixed the View Log button which does display the trace.log in notepad now and doesn't close the Client.

Yes, while watching Live TV I can pause/rewind/fast-forward/etc. Only Record doesn't work, although clicking it does show/stop the record icon showing on the program in the guide.

- Dan

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:09 am

Still don't have an idea, though there is still the issue of epg123 not being able to write to the event viewer. So let's check whether WMC can write to the event viewer.

Open WMC, go to Recorded TV->view scheduled->History. Are there entries for when you have tried to record something that didn't? If so, click on the entry and see what it says.
- Gary

DanCallaghan

Post by DanCallaghan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:40 am

History was blank, likely because I reinstalled WMC.

However, I was finally able to fix my recording problem based on this article: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... 5b442ff26f (Method 2).

In case this link ever disappears I'll put the instructions here:

Method 2. Lets try the following fix to register a missing portion of media center
1. Click on Start and type cmd.exe in the search bar.
2. Right click on cmd.exe in the programs pane.
3. And click on Run As Adminsitrator.
4. In the elevated command prompt type the following commands and press Enter after every command.

regsvr32.exe atl.dll
cd \
cd windows
cd eHome
ehSched /unregServer
ehSched /service
ehRecvr /unregServer
ehRecvr /service
ehRec.exe /unregServer
ehRec.exe /regserver
ehmsas.exe /unregServer
ehmsas.exe /regserver
exit

5.Now restart the Media Center.

I followed the Method 2 steps shown above and tried opening WMC, but the Live TV Setup kept showing a fatal error afterwards so I was forced to uninstall WMC and reinstall it (for a second time). After rebooting the PC I was able to successfully run Live TV Setup.

I then closed WMC and opened EPG123 Client to be sure Lineup was there this time. It was. I opened WMC and the guide was populated. I successfully recorded from the guide and from Live TV.

FYI, I found a second suggested solution for 'WMC not recording scheduled recordings':

viewtopic.php?t=11367

I could have done this, as "Windows Media Center Schedule Service" properties doesn't show Log in as "Local System account" but instead shows "Network Service" with a hidden password but since I don't know the password for this account, and since the other method fixed the recording issue, I left this alone.

- Dan