Rebuilding library every time

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
junyan2000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Rebuilding library every time

Post by junyan2000 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:23 am

I am using WMC8.8.5 on Windows 10, and RecordedTV library rebuilds from scratch every time the computer wakes up. Is anyone seeing the same problem?

This is simply unacceptable because I have a large number of recordings. My recordings are stored on a usb drive.

This is a long existing problem dating back to at least 2017. I had to forego Windows 10 then, and it appears I have to forego Windows 10 now.

junyan2000

Post by junyan2000 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:45 am

I am pretty sure this has to do with the sleep function of my external hard drive.

The particular model I have goes to sleep when the computer goes to sleep, but there is a delay between the time when computer wakes up and when the hard drive becomes ready. During this time the directories on the hard drive become unavailable, causing the library to be cleared.

I see no solution to this. Getting an enclosure that does not sleep can help, but that wears the hard drive unnecessarily.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:50 am

I know there are solutions for PCs that do not sleep but the external drive sleeps (you prevent the external drive from sleeping), but I am not sure if there is a solution for PCs that sleep and have libraries on external HDs.

The only solution I know of is to just keep you PC awake all the time or to move the external drive to be an internal drive.

I am unaware of any setting in WMC that might make it "wait" for a drive to become available before declaring it "gone". which is what I assume is happening here.

Anoniem

Post by Anoniem » Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:05 am

maybe this helps

https://www.google.nl/amp/s/www.windows ... ices%3famp

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk