Recording Start Time

vir2oso

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recording Start Time

Post by vir2oso » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:39 pm

I just noticed recently that my recordings are starting with no padding. I went to the Series setup and noticed that the option to specify when a recording starts is no longer there. The Stop when possible option is there but not the Start when possible. I went to the Recording Default settings page and the Start When Possible setting is there and it's set to 5 minutes before, but that doesn't appear to be working. Any ideas?
Attachments
Series Settings.PNG
Series Settings
Recording Defaults Setting.PNG
Recording Default Settings

Space

Post by Space » Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:10 pm

That setting is the default and is what is used when you create a new Series. Unfortunately, there is no way through the WMC GUI to view or change the "Start when possible" setting for an individual Series that already exists.

The EPG123 tool (I assume you used this) that transfers the old Series to the new ones does not retain this padding from the old Series, so any "Start when possible" padding that was associated with your Series is gone. To get it back you would need to set the default "Start when possible" to what you prefer, and then delete and recreate your Series (that value is set in the Series when you create the Series).

It is probably possible through a third party tool to modify this padding on existing Series, but I know of no such existing tool. You can also modify the backup (XML) file of the Series to include the padding then import it, but doing it this way requires you to delete all Series then modify that file, then import it.

I mentioned this issue with the transfer tool to Gary a while back, but I am not sure if he ever did anything about it since the tool isn't used by many people anymore (since most who planned to migrate to EPG123 have already done so).

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:26 pm

The only thing the Transfer Tool changes in the backup recordings file for import into WMC is the series ID... everything else is left untouched to include prePaddingRequired, prePaddingRequested, postPaddingRequired, and postPaddingRequested. If those values don't make it back into the recording requests, then it is being dropped by loadmxf.exe and/or WMC. I don't think there is anything I can do about that.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:17 am

Well, when I used the tool it did not seem to retain the pre-padding on any of my Series which was 15 seconds on all of them (I had used the registry to change the default to 15 seconds, which is not normally possible since the WMC GUI only allows 1 minute increments). Perhaps the loading of this value with loadmxf.exe does not work at all, or maybe it only works if it is at least 60 seconds (although I see no reason why it would limit it).