Recorded TV HD Addin

IT Troll

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by IT Troll » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:41 pm

For custom themes there is Media Center Themer and the ModernMedia UI, but neither of those have the functionality of Recorded TV HD which is more of a media manager.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Marty_S_McFly

Post by Marty_S_McFly » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:46 am

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:30 am

If this PC is a dedicated HTPC you might be best to roll back as Media Center and associated apps will work much better.

However, if you are using the PC for other things then I appreciate that running the latest version might take priority.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Marty_S_McFly

Post by Marty_S_McFly » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:03 pm

It's not a dedicated HTPC or I would have stayed with the previous Windows. :(

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:59 am

Some great news for users of Recorded TV HD! I was recently approached by another RTVHD user who is a programmer and offered to take a look at some of the bugs which are present in the v2.0.3 release. They have done some amazing work without access to the original source code; decompiling the executables, wrestling with the architecture, fixing bugs and even adding new features!

The initial focus has been on the RecoredTVHDSettings utility. However, improvements to the background service may be possible in the future.

Fixed
  • Search button on Edit Series screen will now show results from a web search of the series name at TheTVDB.com.
  • Default artwork (highest ranking) can once again be downloaded based on the provided TheTVDB ID (no more 404 error).
  • Miscellaneous image handling bugs.
New Features
  • New Select Backdrop and Select Poster buttons which allow you to preview and select your preferred artwork for the TV series from all those available.
  • Similar artwork functionality has been added to the Edit Movies screen, so you can now:
    • Perform a web search of the movie name at TheMovieDB.org.
    • Use the TMDb ID to preview and select your preferred backdrop and poster for the movie from all those available.
Known Issues
  • Unfortunately, it is not possible to save the TMDb ID for movies. The database was never designed to hold this information, so it must be input each time you go to the Edit Movies screen.
  • Whilst changing artwork, you may occasionally encounter a file in use message. Closing and re-opening the RecordedTVHDSettings utility normally resolves this. This is due to a file locking conflict with the background service. A more thorough fix will require changes to the background service.
Installation
  1. In your RecordedTVHD program folder rename RecordedTVHDSettings.exe to RecordedTVHDSettings.exe.bak (so you can revert back to the original if you encounter any problems).
  2. Copy the new RecordedTVHDSettings.exe and RecordedTVHDSettings.exe.config file into your RecordedTVHD program folder (the config file is a new addition).

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:55 pm

Oh my goodness... This is AWESOME!

I see that one of my constant annoyances has been fixed!

I run my "display settings" at 150% and ALWAYS had to change it to 100% in order to see the "Edit" button on the Episodes tab. After editing an episode (or two) I'd have to go back and change it to 150%. Like I said... annoying!

Not any more... Now I can see (and use) the edit button at 150%!

Thank you IT Troll and please thank the programmer that made this possible! :clap:

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:08 pm

Glad you like it. I suspect the size thing was an accidental benefit and perhaps came as a result of updating the framework used. The programmer does occasionally visit the forum and so will see your thanks.

I am hoping we can get some fixes to the background service next. Particularly fixing the image downloads for TV episode thumbnails and TV season specific posters. This does then also bode well for supporting any future API updates that come along. :thumbup:

mogulman

Post by mogulman » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:47 am

Trying it now. Not much recording for me, since TV basically sucks, but hopefully soon.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:10 am

I am currently testing a new version of the background service which fixes many of the residual issues and shortcomings. These changes are much more significant, but so far things are looking really good. Hopefully we can get it into your hands soon.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:57 pm

We have been fine-tuning a more significant update to Recorded TV HD which is now in final testing. This will include and supersede the previous updates made to the Settings utility.
If no issues are found I will release it at the weekend.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:03 am

The programmer who contacted me previously has generously continued to spend significant time decompiling and redeveloping Recorded TV HD and in the process working their beta tester hard. ;)

The culmination of that effort is Recorded TV HD v2.1.1 which fixes many legacy bugs in the old code, restores all the fuctionality lost after TheTVDB.com updated their servers, and even adds several new features! This patch includes new versions of both the RecordedTVHDSettings utility and the RecordedTVHDService background service which does all the heavy lifting behind the scenes. As a result, I think Recorded TV HD is now working better than it ever has!

Fixed & Updated
  • [Settings] Search button on Edit Series screen will now show results from a web search of the series name at TheTVDB.com.
  • [Settings] Default artwork (highest ranking) can once again be downloaded based on the provided TheTVDB ID (no more 404 error).
  • [Settings/Service] Total overhaul of artwork file handling to fix file locking issues.
  • [Service] Updated database engine libraries.
  • [Service] TV artwork downloads fixed for season specific posters and episode thumbnails.
  • [Service] Fixed mismatched case issues in filenames and titles.
  • [Service] Additional database health checks and housekeeping. Including repair of orphaned movie titles broken by previous bad TMDb API calls (you may find some missing, but not deleted, movies will reappear in the Media Center GUI).
  • [Service] Even better handling of Media Center Manual recordings.
  • [Service] Resolved permanent database locking by background service.
  • [Service] Improved search logic when matching series/episodes.
  • [Settings] Improved error handling for bad artwork URLs.
New Features
  • [Settings] New Select Backdrop and Select Poster buttons which allow you to preview and select your preferred artwork for the TV series from all those available.
  • [Settings] Similar artwork functionality has been added to the Edit Movies screen, so you can now:
    • [Settings] Perform a web search of the movie name at TheMovieDB.org.
    • [Settings] Use the TMDb ID to preview and select your preferred backdrop and poster for the movie from all those available.
  • [Settings] Artwork override selections can be filtered to show just English & Unspecified or All Languages.
  • [Settings] Artwork which has been overridden now has a visual indicator (download the default artwork again to clear the override).
  • [Settings] Add Movie dialog for unidentified files now supports Title or TMDb ID search and downloading of metadata and default artwork.
  • [Service] TMDb ID is now stored in database for movies when automatically identified or if input manually.
  • [Service] Added background service logging. Defaults to INFO level and logs to C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\Logs, DEBUG and OFF levels can be configured through GlobalSettings.ini, [Settings] section; e.g. LogLevel=DEBUG
Known Issues
  • The Media Center GUI reports as v2.0.2. This is because changes have only been made to the background service and settings utility.
  • Recorded TV HD was designed for Windows 7 & 8. It may or may not work in Windows 10 depending on build and configuration variances.
Installation
  1. This is a community-made update patch, you must have the last official MJT release of Recorded TV HD (v2.0.3) installed before applying the patch.
  2. As a precautionary measure, take a backup of your existing Recorded TV HD database using the Backup function within the Recorded TV HD Settings utility.
  3. Simply run the setup executable and click through the screens.
  4. The installer will stop the background service, install the new files and restart the service. Supports both 32-bit and 64-bit installations.
  5. It is recommended to disable checks for new updates. There will be no official updates and the old recordedtvhd domain now redirects to an ad site. Updates can be disable in the Settings (spanner icon) within Media Center. This then sets UpdateCheck=False in GlobalSettings.ini.
Attachments
RecordedTVHDPatch_v2-1-1.zip
(4.23 MiB) Downloaded 322 times
Last edited by IT Troll on Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:39 pm

I don't use wmc anymore but i think it's really cool that someone is updating this. I also never know when my cable company might implement DRM or I might decide to move so it's great to have wmc as an option still.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Absolutely FANTASTIC!

Question -> For the past few years I've been manually "fixing" the RecordedTVHDdb.s3db database. If I were to rename the existing database to RecordedTVHDdb_OLD.s3db would it build a new one from scratch?

I'd love to have a fresh, new database!

To the Benevolent Programmer... THANK YOU! :thumbup:

dopdahl

Post by dopdahl » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:48 pm

Yes it will. Shouldn't be a problem...

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:21 pm

Worked like a charm! The only thing I needed to do was correct two TVDB ID's and then set up my favorites.

I did find one anomaly... In the Recorded TV HD Settings I have episodes of "The 100" and they show up in the "Episodes Override" tab but there isn't a related series in the "Series Override" tab. Therefore they don't show up in the WMC interface.

Stopping and restarting the service and hitting the refresh button aren't making it show up. They also don't show up in the unidentified files...

How do I add a series?

dopdahl

Post by dopdahl » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:44 pm

Let's do this... Post a few episode filenames (don't need the files, just the filenames...) that you have for that Series and I'll have to take a look to see if I can replicate it. Sounds like a bug.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:02 pm

The 100_KDAFDT_2020_07_15_18_57_00.wtv

The 100_KDAFDT_2020_08_05_18_57_00.wtv

dopdahl

Post by dopdahl » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:06 pm

Seems like my PMs aren't working well... Anyway, PM me your database and logs from C:\users\public\RecordedTVHD\Logs.
thx

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:14 pm

Done! Check your email for the (modified) database and logs.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:37 am

Sorry... It's been a very busy day. Please note that one of the episodes was deleted this afternoon and that's why there's only one now.

Here's what I did:
  1. Stopped the service.
  2. Removed the series I added to the database.
  3. Set LogLevel=DEBUG in GlobalSettings.ini
  4. Replaced the existing RecordedTVHDService.exe with the one from your zip file.
  5. Started the service.
The debug log should be in your email.

Results:
No series for "The 100" found or added.

Interesting log entries...

Code: Select all

2020-08-09 20:26:59,380 INFO  - Starting ... CheckForMissingSeriesEvenWhenEpisodeIsThere
2020-08-09 20:26:59,395 INFO  - Found orpahned Episode!  Calling FindSeriesAndWrite to re-create Series:  SeriesName: The 100 MCID: !Series!01740398
2020-08-09 20:26:59,455 INFO  - >> FindSeriesAndWrite...
2020-08-09 20:26:59,459 DEBUG -  -- MCID: !Series!01740398
2020-08-09 20:26:59,462 DEBUG -  -- SeriesName: The 100
2020-08-09 20:26:59,465 DEBUG -  -- EpisodeName: A Little Sacrifice
2020-08-09 20:26:59,468 DEBUG -  -- Sport: False
2020-08-09 20:26:59,471 DEBUG -  -- Movide: False
2020-08-09 20:26:59,474 DEBUG -  -- TVDBIDOverrid: 
2020-08-09 20:26:59,478 DEBUG -  -- isOtherFileType: False
2020-08-09 20:26:59,481 DEBUG - Not Movie or Sport, searching TVDB...
2020-08-09 20:26:59,686 DEBUG - Searching TVDB for SeriedByName: The 100
2020-08-09 20:27:00,468 DEBUG - SerachSeriesByName Success!
2020-08-09 20:27:10,636 ERROR - Unexpected error during FindSeriesAndWrite: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at RecordedTVHDService.Service1.FindSeriesAndWrite(String MCID, String SeriesName, String EpisodeName, DateTime OriginalAirDate, Boolean Sport, Boolean Movie, String[] CastArray, String TVDBIDoverride, Boolean isOtherFileType, SQLiteConnection sql_con)