WMC Crash on Playback

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
ejvoetberg

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Crash on Playback

Post by ejvoetberg » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:31 pm

I've built a Win10 machine and have WMC installed and running. I'm using a dual Hauppauge tuner connected to an OTA HD antenna. I get guide data via EPG123 and everything works pretty well. I can set recordings and they get stored fine on the local drive. My problem is that when I try to play a recording, or play live TV WMC crashes and restarts. Oddly, this happens with local music files as well which are ripped MP3s with no DRM. Both the .WTV recordings and MP3 files play fine in WMP and VLC.
After reading some posts I thought I had a codec problem and tried installing K-lite. That did not fix the problem and also installed a lot of extraneous stuff I did not want and so I uninstalled it. For now I use WMC as the DVR scheduler, recording I playback in VLC which works but not a great experience.
Any pointers on posts about this problem or tips on a fix are much appreciated.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:55 pm

Please provide version numbers for Windows and WMC.

This reads like CPFilters.dll need rolling back to me.

ejvoetberg

Post by ejvoetberg » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:21 am

These are the versions running on this machine:
WMC 6.3.9600.16384
Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18362 Build 18362
Thanks for your quick reply.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:07 am

Which WMC installer did you use?

ejvoetberg

Post by ejvoetberg » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:24 am

It has been a while but I am pretty sure I got it from Chris Hoffman's link on How-to-Geek
https://www.howtogeek.com/258695/how-to ... indows-10/

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:25 am

That is a really old version. I recommend that you install the latest one, which can be downloaded here: https://mega.nz/#!eHh10AyC!rACoUNaJYMqm ... dx5Hp6nNkc.

ejvoetberg

Post by ejvoetberg » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:49 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll give this a try.

ejvoetberg

Post by ejvoetberg » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:11 am

The installer from mega.nz worked perfectly; clear instructions in the read me and no issues along the way. The DVR and playback are functioning perfectly with the EPG123 guide data. Thank you!!!
The music experience is not working, opening an album will crash the app. Mostly we stream music these days so this is less of a priority, but it would be nice if it worked for playing the MP3 collection. Not sure if others have encountered that or have tips.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:15 am

Unfortunately, Microsoft Changed something in Windows and no one has found a fix for the problem, which is caused when WMC tries to download Media Metadata and currently, the only way round it is to disable it in Automatic Download Options.

juiksle

Post by juiksle » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:06 pm

technodevotee wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:15 am Unfortunately, Microsoft Changed something in Windows and no one has found a fix for the problem, which is caused when WMC tries to download Media Metadata and currently, the only way round it is to disable it in Automatic Download Options.
Its pretty awesome and cool.

pthaack

Post by pthaack » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:54 pm

I have a follow up question for ejvoetberg or anyone else. When you installed the upgrade, did you have to reprogram all of your series?
I have over 100 series programmed in and it took me less time to copy them down by hand than it took me to search and not find out how to back them up.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:28 pm

pthaack wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:54 pm I have a follow up question for ejvoetberg or anyone else. When you installed the upgrade, did you have to reprogram all of your series?
I have over 100 series programmed in and it took me less time to copy them down by hand than it took me to search and not find out how to back them up.
There is a transfer tool included with EPG123 that allows you to pull scheduled recording data from an old installation into a new one. It isn't much use if you don't have a backup or copy of the folders in programdata\ehome (may also be in a system backup, shadow copy, Previous versions, etc.) made before uninstalling and reinstalling WMC of course.

pthaack

Post by pthaack » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:55 pm

technodevotee wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:28 pm
pthaack wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:54 pm I have a follow up question for ejvoetberg or anyone else. When you installed the upgrade, did you have to reprogram all of your series?
There is a transfer tool included with EPG123 that allows you to pull scheduled recording data from an old installation into a new one. It isn't much use if you don't have a backup or copy of the folders in programdata\ehome (may also be in a system backup, shadow copy, Previous versions, etc.) made before uninstalling and reinstalling WMC of course.
Thanks for the hint. I didn't know that there was a BackupRestoreSettings right there in the WMC install provided in Kévin Chalet's distribution of WMC 8.8.5. I had to plug my nose and dive in and just try a reinstall.
And thanks to everyone on this board. I've used the software included with the cards, ArcSoft TotalMedia and Hauppauge WinTV, as well as VLC, and WMC is superior on all counts. When my Windows 7 computer failed and I couldn't get a replacement power supply, I was sure I was royally out of luck.