HOW TO: Install 8.1 WMC with just the WMC key

12noon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by 12noon » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:23 am

Oh, great! But then I don't think you need DCA. (I didn't run it myself.) I made a mistake about PlayReady though. (I'll correct my previous post.) You will almost certainly need PlayReady though. Mine failed the first time I told WMC to install it, but the second time worked.
USA 60005
WOW Chicago Suburbs - Digital
USA-IL58819-X

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:27 am

I don't think the 6 tuner prime is out yet and also I don't think the SiliconDust software allows recording/later playback of DRM content yet. At least last I heard that was the case.

12noon

Post by 12noon » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:20 am

Yup, it's still in devlopment. Well, you already have a network tuner, so you should still be able to skip DCA. I didn't mean to suggest you should use SD's DVR. I don't think they're CableCARD-certified yet (if ever). For example, I use my Windows 8.1 WMC with a SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 3, never ran DCA, installed PlayReady, and I can record/play DRM successfully. I can even copy the WTV files to a Windows 10 box and play them there in VLC.

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-prime-6/
USA 60005
USA-IL58819-X

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:08 am

6athome wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:33 am
12noon wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:27 am This might not be appropriate for this thread, but I recommend SiliconDust's network tuners. The HomeRun Prime 6 includes six tuners and uses one CableCARD. It basically "broadcasts" the tuners on your network. After you install the SiliconDust drivers on your WMC machine, WMC will see the tuners. You won't need PlayReady, and you'll get the DRM channels just fine. I realize it's adding more hardware and expense to your build, but IMO, in the long run, it makes things much easier.
I have HD Homerun prime with 3 turners, I didn't know they finally came out with the 6 turner!
They didn't release is yet, will they ever release it? Who knows?

There are a few posts on here regarding how to get PlayReady working, just search for PlayReady.

cleothyme

Post by cleothyme » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:02 pm

12noon wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 6:32 pm FYI, I can confirm that a "Windows 8.1 Pro Pack (Move up from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center)" does not work with this install.

I purchased this key on eBay (which is the same as the one linked to earlier, but cheaper):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Wind ... 3353256112

I installed Windows 8.1 WMC using the ESD/ISO process detailed in this thread. I definitely DISABLED Internet during the installation and enabled it only after the install. I went to the Activate Windows page, where it said the install key I used was blocked. (This is probably expected.) However, when I entered my Windows 8.1 Pro Pack key, it said it wasn't valid. I don't think the seller is defrauding me (since they refunded the $54 shipping and e-mailed me a picture of the key). I think the W8PP keys just don't work for this edition of Windows. Can Microsoft make their SKUs any more confusing?

I guess I'll try installing Windows 8.1 and "upgrading" to Windows 8.1 Pro Pack then add the Media Center feature.

Update: I downloaded the Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft (x64) and installed it as a bare-metal install. I entered a Windows 8.1 key during the installation. After Windows finished installing, I went to "Add features to Windows 8.1" and entered my "Windows 8.1 Pro Pack key. Success. I don't think it needed to download anything--it just "unlocked" the features that were already on the drive.
I'm looking to buy the Pro Pack on eBay for a new build. Thanks so much for your posts on getting it working. I have one question though. Was Windows 8.1 vanilla activated when you used "Add features..." to upgrade? In other words, what was the nature of the Windows 8.1 key you used for the initial install? Was it an off-the-shelf PC with a valid key on a sticker on the case (which would activate) or was it just a random key off the internet to get the installer to proceed (which would not activate)?

I am trying to determine beyond any doubt if I need to have Windows 8.1 vanilla activated before using "Add features....." with the Pro Pack key to upgrade. I do not know if I can get Windows 8.1 vanilla activated on a new build. I can get Windows 8.1 Pro activated with a grey market key but I don't know if that will work. Thanks in advance for any input. :thumbup:

12noon

Post by 12noon » Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:31 pm

You must have an activated install of Windows 8.1 in order to add the Windows 8.1 Pro Pack. So, yes, I used an actual Windows 8.1 key to activate Windows before using Add features to Windows 8.1 to install Windows 8.1 Pro Pack.
USA 60005
USA-IL58819-X

cleothyme

Post by cleothyme » Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:00 am

12noon wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 8:31 pm You must have an activated install of Windows 8.1 in order to add the Windows 8.1 Pro Pack. So, yes, I used an actual Windows 8.1 key to activate Windows before using Add features to Windows 8.1 to install Windows 8.1 Pro Pack.
Thanks so much for the reply.

Now it's time to figure out how to get Windows 8.1 vanilla activated on a "new" build (I'm using a platform old enough that Windows won't nag me that it is incompatible with a such a new CPU, I think it does this on Kaby Lake [7th gen I think] and newer Intel CPUs).

Curiously, it is quite easy to buy a grey market key for Windows 8.1 Pro, but not vanilla.

12noon

Post by 12noon » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:03 pm

I haven't tried it, but I would think Windows 8.1 Pro would also work. If the key is cheap enough, it might be worth the risk.
USA 60005
USA-IL58819-X

The Mac

Post by The Mac » Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:08 pm

Pro Pack with WMC definitely doesn't work.

Trying to change they through SLUI 3 also fails.

Trying to change they key through slmgr.vbs -ipk says it cant upgrade non-core 8.1 (basically the actual error slui 3 doesnt report)

as a side note, you can bypass the whole fake key thing by adding a file in the sources directory called ei.cfg

then add the following text

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

leave the edition blank if you want the installer to ask.

it does not install media center however