TV recordings play for awhile then freeze randomly

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
caliskier

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by caliskier » Mon May 25, 2020 2:53 am

I don’t know if I should post a new thread title, or just continue with this one but I’m seeing the same issue again where we are watching a video and it just freezes. I don’t think this is a hardware thing. Was doing fine now it’s doing it again, is there a way to diagnose it if it’s a software issue?

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Mon May 25, 2020 3:05 am

Could it be my hard drive? This is a new hard drive it’s a western digital Purple Hard drive

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071K ... UTF8&psc=1

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Mon May 25, 2020 4:45 am

It’s weird, When I posted this, copying a file to another drive was up and down, now it’s fine. Really odd sporadic behavior.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon May 25, 2020 6:06 am

Well, it could be bad blocks on the drive - it isn't really common on brand new drives but it wouldn't be the first new drive with surface defects either.

Is the WD only used for recorded TV or is there something else on there that Windows could be reading/writing?

Is the PC only used for WMC or are there any processes that are disk intensive?

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Mon May 25, 2020 2:11 pm

When I copy the files over to my raid drive, it works fine. So it’s not WMC. In my mind It’s either the drive, the cable, the SATA port, or the motherboard. Could it be anything else? Crystaldiskinfo says the drive is good. Surely it’s not a power issue with a 750 watt PS. And it’s not an issue With writing Side of the system, i.e. antenna or anything else involved with writing because the videos i’m playing on the RAID disk do not freeze.

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Mon May 25, 2020 3:58 pm

I just removed a PCIe peripheral that I recently installed in the 1x (I think that is what it’s called) slot that I think corespondents to that SATA port. Seams to have fixed it