New install on 7 - no tuners

CrazyKZ

HTPC Specs: Show details

New install on 7 - no tuners

Post by CrazyKZ » Thu May 07, 2020 12:31 pm

I have Windows 7 back on this laptop (Windows 7 Ultimate). I had 7 on it before, but it was having OS issues, so I had 10 put on it. Bad move! Apparently nothing works with 10. So, now back to Windows 7.
Now with a clean install WMC can't find any tuners. There is not even an AV software to conflict with. I can see the tuners in the Network list on that laptop.
I have installed the Digital Cable Advisor as well. WMC cannot find any of the tuners, but HD HomeRun from my PC on the network plays all channels from the cablecard and antenna.
Also, the EPG123 client guide shows no channels on either side of the tree. The EPG123 config tool shows both of my Lineups though and lineup 1 and 2 show green and included in the lineup.

When I run the install for HD Homerun I keep getting an error that "a file is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file ...\hdhomerun_windows1.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt." I went to that directory and deleted the entire Silicondust folder and still get this after trying to re-install HD HomeRun. I actually did that twice and rebooted. The support from HDHomeRun just told me to do that again, which I got the same error.

Is WMC corrupt? I've tried so many different things in different orders. Is there some way to totally reset the database of WMC....if that's what I need? Although HD Homerun won't even install.

What am I missing?

CrazyKZ

Post by CrazyKZ » Fri May 08, 2020 9:03 pm

I'm still trying to get either the HD HomeRun software to install or more importantly the WMC to find the tuners. ANY help would be appreciated!

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri May 08, 2020 9:11 pm

As I said in your original thread, there were a few people on MDL who had to use older installers.

I wondered if you have tried the ones from this site: https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/TV-Tu ... 1124.shtml.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri May 08, 2020 11:00 pm

CrazyKZ wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:03 pm I'm still trying to get either the HD HomeRun software to install or more importantly the WMC to find the tuners. ANY help would be appreciated!
You might try asking over in the SiliconDust forums if you are having tuner discovery issues.
Also, make sure your network is set to private(home). I don't remember if the default on a new install is public or private. But it needs to be private (home) network for tuner discovery/access.

CrazyKZ

Post by CrazyKZ » Fri May 08, 2020 11:10 pm

technodevotee, you are the best. That did the trick! I downloaded the 2015 install file. Even the support team at HD Homerun had no idea what to recommend! As soon as I installed that new, I mean older file, it installed without a hitch and found all the tuners.

However....as I am setting up WMC, it's finding the tuners, but gets to the very end and says "tv setup has encountered a serious problem. Select finish to exit, then try again. If the problem persits, restart Windows Media Center or the computer." So I have run it several times and also rebooted, but it's still doing this at the very end of the WMC setup. Man, I thought I had it!

CrazyKZ

Post by CrazyKZ » Fri May 08, 2020 11:11 pm

technodevotee, you are the best. That did the trick! I downloaded the 2015 install file. Even the support team at HD Homerun had no idea what to recommend! As soon as I installed that new, I mean older file, it installed without a hitch and found all the tuners.

However....as I am setting up WMC, it's finding the tuners, but gets to the very end and says "tv setup has encountered a serious problem. Select Finish to exit, then try again. If the problem persists, restart Windows Media Center or the computer." So I have run it several times and also rebooted, but it's still doing this at the very end of the WMC setup. Man, I thought I had it!

CrazyKZ

Post by CrazyKZ » Fri May 08, 2020 11:35 pm

I ran it a 3rd or 4th time and it actually worked this time.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat May 09, 2020 9:39 am

CrazyKZ wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:11 pm technodevotee, you are the best.
Well, truth is TGB and MDL are my second and third homes (ask my wife) and I do a lot of reading on these two forums so, although I do some troubleshooting and tinkering with WMC, most of what I know has been gleaned from other people's expertise.

Anyway, I'm glad you have a working system.

Unfortunately, from what I have read you are pretty much stuck on Windows 7 because, although Windows 8 is supported for longer, it brings its own issues and challenges. I don't think there's any real advantage for you in moving to Windows 10 either.
Even the support team at HD Homerun had no idea what to recommend!
I once spent three weeks chasing the source of a problem on a customer's site caused by a well known antivirus product that numerous support staff (including the senior guy there) swore was simply not possible. In the end I removed it and installed an older version and it was perfect. It isn't always their fault though because the mantra is often 'if you aren't using the latest version, we can't help you' and it takes a while for bugs to become known.

CrazyKZ

Post by CrazyKZ » Sat May 09, 2020 1:27 pm

We were so thrilled to have it up and running that we spent the evening just watching several channels and recording others and pausing live tv again. We get fantastic picture quality OTA. Better quality than compressed cable service. I do have a cable card too, but it's just for several al la carte channels I wanted to get.

I'm fine with whatever OS works. Windows 10 is prettier but it sounds like it might never work. This laptop's only purpose is to feed and record tv and I have like 600 gig of recording space, so I'm good to go without worries.
I'm glad that you mentioned about the older install version and appreciative of the link as well. I had even tried their beta versions without luck. Silicondust should have a pocket link on their site for people like me.

In the interim of getting WMC fixed, I tried getting HD HomeRun to view channels using the app on Roku, but for some reason, the picture quality was really bad.

I'm sad that MS stopped being able to download channel listings now, but I actually like the EPG123 much better. More tweaks available.

Anyway, thanks again for all your help!