Has anybody gotten Media center studio to work in windows 10?

caliskier

HTPC Specs: Show details

Has anybody gotten Media center studio to work in windows 10?

Post by caliskier » Wed May 06, 2020 11:13 pm

That’s the question I wanna know if anybody’s got the media center studio to work in windows 10, or should I use something else for that purpose?

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu May 07, 2020 1:40 am

I had to dig a little but look in this thread. I don't see it talked about much but it should be possible. viewtopic.php?f=97&t=12196&p=131230&hil ... io#p131230

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Thu May 07, 2020 2:31 am

Thanks i had seen that but, yeah, he did not say what he did "had to make a lot of changes to get it to work"

I PMed him at that site, hopefully he will see it and maybe give us 10 users a vine. Would be a hero, lol. Very cool tool.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu May 07, 2020 12:11 pm

Don't know much about it as I've moved on to Emby but have you tried ModernMediaCenter?

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Fri May 08, 2020 12:44 am

Sammy2 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 12:11 pm Don't know much about it as I've moved on to Emby but have you tried ModernMediaCenter?
Good suggestion but it doesn’t Let you customize the menu like studio does

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 08, 2020 5:10 pm

caliskier wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 11:13 pm That’s the question I wanna know if anybody’s got the media center studio to work in windows 10, or should I use something else for that purpose?
Well, if you can find Windows Media Center themer (its around here someplace)

and there is somewhere around here is "MCT Tools" (it's an addon so you have a gui to change themes) and with that it gives imports for MCT files (Media Center studio).

Oh, one of our fellow members here has a link to both...

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... oyGtmIqt71

I tried Media Center Studio 1.0 for Windows 10 on Windows 8.1, and as soon as I try to apply a theme, it crashes... So I used the MCT tools, and imported my fav themes.

With MCT tools and importing MCT, there is some things it misses, it does not import sound files (so custom sounds are lost), and custom fonts/sizes are gone (some of this I would rather see gone anyway)....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Sat May 09, 2020 12:03 am

I have an old windows 7 machine, Wondering if I get media center studio to work on that, then try to find the packet that It created. And copy that over to my media center on my PC using the media center theamer

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Sun May 10, 2020 5:27 pm

caliskier wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:31 am Thanks i had seen that but, yeah, he did not say what he did "had to make a lot of changes to get it to work"

I PMed him at that site, hopefully he will see it and maybe give us 10 users a vine. Would be a hero, lol. Very cool tool.
Not sure I'm the hero you're looking for, but I can confirm I received your PM :D

The version I tweaked can be found on Mega.nz: https://mega.nz/#!LS5kXA7b!E3REJ9v5B_K2 ... RS0qGvo24Q

I fixed a lot of bugs - by patching the .NET assemblies using the excellent dnSpy - but I'm sure there are still things to fix.
If MCS crashes when trying to apply a theme, feel free to send me the complete log message (that can be found in the Windows Events Viewer, under Applications) and the theme that causes MCS to crash, and I'll take a look when I have a moment.

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Mon May 11, 2020 3:43 am

Oh man awesome, thank you so much!! I will check it out soon. Just about to shut down for the night

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon May 11, 2020 1:25 pm

Pinpoint wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:27 pm
caliskier wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 2:31 am Thanks i had seen that but, yeah, he did not say what he did "had to make a lot of changes to get it to work"

Not sure I'm the hero you're looking for, but I can confirm I received your PM :D

The version I tweaked can be found on Mega.nz: https://mega.nz/#!LS5kXA7b!E3REJ9v5B_K2 ... RS0qGvo24Q

I fixed a lot of bugs - by patching the .NET assemblies using the excellent dnSpy - but I'm sure there are still things to fix.
If MCS crashes when trying to apply a theme, feel free to send me the complete log message (that can be found in the Windows Events Viewer, under Applications) and the theme that causes MCS to crash, and I'll take a look when I have a moment.
How well does it work under 8.1 ? I tried it a little while ago, and when ever I tried to apply a theme it crashed... so I moved over to Media Center Themer...

There is some things I miss from using MCS, as it does not carry font sizes, and audio over with MCT import..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Kevin Chalet

Post by Kevin Chalet » Mon May 11, 2020 2:16 pm

DavidinCT wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:25 pm How well does it work under 8.1 ? I tried it a little while ago, and when ever I tried to apply a theme it crashed... so I moved over to Media Center Themer...
Honestly, no idea. I've never been a huge fan of 8.1 so I've never used it on any of my HTPC.

What's the .NET exception you're getting?

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Fri May 15, 2020 1:37 pm

Pinpoint wrote: Sun May 10, 2020 5:27 pm

Hey thanks for the help!! Ok, finally got to try it, been very busy. It opens, did not used to do that, but it crashes when I hit the start menu tab. here is the log...

Code: Select all

Media Center Studio.exe Warning: 0 : System.Management.ManagementException: Invalid namespace 
   at System.Management.ThreadDispatch.Start()
   at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
   at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Initialize()
   at System.Management.ManagementObjectSearcher.Get()
   at Advent.VmcStudio.StartMenu.GameProvider..ctor()
    DateTime=2020-05-15T03:29:43.3789340Z
Media Center Studio.exe Error: 0 : System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Advent.MediaCenter.Theme.Default.ColorsApplicator.GetColors(MediaCenterLibraryCache cache)
   at Advent.VmcStudio.CommonResourceManager.GetColor(String colorName)
   at Advent.VmcStudio.StartMenu.MenuStrip.CheckTitleColor()
   at Advent.VmcStudio.StartMenu.MenuStrip.<.cctor>b__5(DependencyObject sender, DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.OnPropertyChanged(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.NotifyPropertyChange(DependencyPropertyChangedEventArgs args)
   at System.Windows.DependencyObject.UpdateEffectiveValue(EntryIndex entryIndex, DependencyProperty dp, PropertyMetadata metadata, EffectiveValueEntry oldEntry, EffectiveValueEntry& newEntry, Boolean coerceWithDeferredReference, Boolean coerceWithCurrentValue, OperationType operationType)
   at System.Windows.StyleHelper.ApplyTemplatedParentValue(DependencyObject container, FrameworkObject child, Int32 childIndex, FrugalStructList`1& childRecordFromChildIndex, DependencyProperty dp, FrameworkElementFactory templateRoot)
   at System.Windows.StyleHelper.InvalidatePropertiesOnTemplateNode(DependencyObject container, FrameworkObject child, Int32 childIndex, FrugalStructList`1& childRecordFromChildIndex, Boolean isDetach, FrameworkElementFactory templateRoot)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.InvalidatePropertiesOnTemplate(DependencyObject container, Object currentObject)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.HandleBeforeProperties(Object createdObject, DependencyObject& rootObject, DependencyObject container, FrameworkElement feContainer, INameScope nameScope)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.<>c__DisplayClass45_0.<LoadOptimizedTemplateContent>b__2(Object sender, XamlObjectEventArgs args)
   at System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter.OnBeforeProperties(Object value)
   at System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter.Logic_CreateAndAssignToParentStart(ObjectWriterContext ctx)
   at System.Xaml.XamlObjectWriter.WriteEndObject()
   at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.LoadTemplateXaml(XamlReader templateReader, XamlObjectWriter currentWriter)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.LoadTemplateXaml(XamlObjectWriter objectWriter)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.LoadOptimizedTemplateContent(DependencyObject container, IComponentConnector componentConnector, IStyleConnector styleConnector, List`1 affectedChildren, UncommonField`1 templatedNonFeChildrenField)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.LoadContent(DependencyObject container, List`1 affectedChildren)
   at System.Windows.StyleHelper.ApplyTemplateContent(UncommonField`1 dataField, DependencyObject container, FrameworkElementFactory templateRoot, Int32 lastChildIndex, HybridDictionary childIndexFromChildID, FrameworkTemplate frameworkTemplate)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkTemplate.ApplyTemplateContent(UncommonField`1 templateDataField, FrameworkElement container)
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.ApplyTemplate()
   at System.Windows.FrameworkElement.MeasureCore(Size availableSize)
   at System.Windows.UIElement.Measure(Size availableSize)
   at System.Windows.Controls.StackPanel.StackMeasureHelper(IStackMeasure measureElement, IStackMeasureScrollData scrollData, Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.StackPanel.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at MS.Internal.Helper.MeasureElementWithSingleChild(UIElement element, Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.ItemsPresenter.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Border.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Control.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at MS.Internal.Helper.MeasureElementWithSingleChild(UIElement element, Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.ScrollContentPresenter.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.ScrollViewer.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.ContentPresenter.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Documents.AdornerDecorator.MeasureOverride(Size constraint)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.MeasureCell(Int32 cell, Boolean forceInfinityV)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.MeasureCellsGroup(Int32 cellsHead, Size referenceSize, Boolean ignoreDesiredSizeU, Boolean forceInfinityV, Boolean& hasDesiredSizeUChanged)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.MeasureCell(Int32 cell, Boolean forceInfinityV)
   at System.Windows.Controls.Grid.MeasureCellsGroup(Int32 cellsHead, Size referenceSize, Boolean ignoreDesiredSizeU, Boolean forceInfinityV, Boolean& hasDesiredSizeUChanged)
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayout()
   at System.Windows.ContextLayoutManager.UpdateLayoutCallback(Object arg)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.FireInvokeOnRenderCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandlerCore(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Media.MediaContext.RenderMessageHandler(Object resizedCompositionTarget)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
   at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
    DateTime=2020-05-15T03:29:49.8999810Z

paulcarrm9mx

Post by paulcarrm9mx » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:18 pm

Hi was this fixed to fully work with windows 10 thanks