Windows 10 - new install

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
CrazyKZ

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 10 - new install

Post by CrazyKZ » Tue May 05, 2020 1:27 am

I had my system running well on an OLD Windows 8 box, but it died. Then I put WMC on a Windows 7 laptop but the OS was corrupt and couldn't even reboot. I had someone reformat the drive and put Windows 10 on it and install WMC. It now has version 1909 build 18363.815. I'm having all kinds of trouble getting it set up. I'm using EPG123 paid version. I am running Silocon Dust with an antenna and a cable card for more channels from Spectrum.
The WMC version shows to be "for Windows 8" version 5.1.

Do I need to revert back to Windows 7?
Or do I need a different build of WMC?
I remember previously that I had to import the Digital Cable Advisor in the Extra Library. Is that still needed or work with Windows 10?
Even though I have EPG123 running and even showing in the lower right-hand corner of WMC, when I click on Guide it says "all channels have been removed from the Guide" and it gets stuck in hourglass mode.
I was even trying to connect my tv to it using the Extender even though I'm not sure why since nothing works, but that locks up WMC.

Any help would be appreciated!!

KZ

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue May 05, 2020 1:40 am

CrazyKZ wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 1:27 amEven though I have EPG123 running and even showing in the lower right-hand corner of WMC, when I click on Guide it says "all channels have been removed from the Guide" and it gets stuck in hourglass mode.
I can't speak for everything else, but you get the above message because all your channels are disabled. Open EPG123 Client and map the guide listings to your tuner channels by clicking the Match by: [# Number] button. That should enable channels that have guide data.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

CrazyKZ

Post by CrazyKZ » Tue May 05, 2020 1:47 am

Hi, thanks for your reply. When I open the Client I see channels on both sides and when I click on the Match by: [# Number] button nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

Also, on the left side, I only see the source of digital antenna.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue May 05, 2020 3:49 am

It sounds like you didn't scan your Spectrum channels if they aren't on the left. Of the right, do you have 2 lineups, 1 OTA and 1 Cable? If you select the OTA lineup on the right and click the Match by: [# Number] button, then you should get those populated.

Kinda moot until you scan in your Spectrum channels though, so you will have to TV Setup again.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue May 05, 2020 6:28 am

Depending on which version of Media Center you installed, you might get your SD to work on Windows 10 v1909 but as far as I know, your cable card won't work and neither will your extender.

The last version of Windows 10 that supported those two things was 1511 and even then it is a faff getting extenders to work. You would also need to disable Windows Updates using something like StopUpdates10.

All in all, I think you would be best re-installing Windows 7.

CrazyKZ

Post by CrazyKZ » Tue May 05, 2020 12:29 pm

Thanks for that update. No reason to fool around any longer with 10. Putting 7 back on today. Is there any version of 7 that I need or even a version of WMC too?

What's strange right now too is that I can watch TV on my personal PC using HD HomeRun, but I'm not getting both sources of antenna and cable card, I think just the antenna. I used too though before all this new set up.

Thanks!

CrazyKZ

Post by CrazyKZ » Thu May 07, 2020 3:07 am

I have Windows 7 back on this laptop. I have installed the Digital Cable Advisor as well. WMC cannot find any of the tuners, but HD HomeRun from my pc on the network plays all channels from the cablecard and antenna.
The EPG123 client guide shows no channels on either side of the tree. The EPG123 config tool shows both of my Lineups though and lineup 1 and 2 show green and included in the lineup.

When I run the install for HD Homerun I keep getting an error that "a file is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file ...\hdhomerun_windows1.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt." I went to that directory and deleted the entire Silicondust folder and still get this after trying to re-install HD HomeRun.

What am I missing?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu May 07, 2020 6:49 am

Given that so few people use HDHR and/or cable cards with WMC on Windows 10, you might be better off starting a new thread in the Windows 7 section as there will be more people who are familiar with using Windows 7 the way that you are using it.

unclebun

Post by unclebun » Thu May 07, 2020 2:07 pm

Maybe you need to re-download the installer for HD Homerun? Seems like that is where the problem starts.

CrazyKZ

Post by CrazyKZ » Thu May 07, 2020 2:14 pm

Each time I have downloaded the HD Homerun installer from their site and used that file. Maybe there is an alternate site for download that might be a different build or something. (?)

When I install it each time, that's when the error shows up with the cab file being invalid. I didn't see it listed as an item to uninstall. So, possibly there is something hanging around in the registry that needs updated or removed. I don't know.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu May 07, 2020 8:59 pm

I read that people were installing a version dated some time in 2015 because it works on older systems but can't find a copy.

I don't suppose you have a backup of your old PC kicking around?

I'll keep looking......

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:32 am

Welcome @Sally667

Yes it does but we were discussing installing and maintaining Windows Media Center on Windows 10.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:02 am

technodevotee wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:32 am Welcome @Sally667

Yes it does but we were discussing installing and maintaining Windows Media Center on Windows 10.
"Sally" was a spam bot/troll and was nuked. ;)
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct