Battle of old software: My Media Center or Remote Potato?

tsh2000

HTPC Specs: Show details

Battle of old software: My Media Center or Remote Potato?

Post by tsh2000 » Fri May 01, 2020 9:08 pm

Looking at the discussions it looks like both Ceton My Media Center and Remote Potato are no longer actively supported/maintained and for My Media Center you can't even get the Windows 10 apps anymore. So which unsupported software do people prefer?

Space

Post by Space » Sat May 02, 2020 1:15 am

I have never used My Media Center, and only use Remote Potato to get a list of upcoming recordings to compare it to future guide updates to make sure nothing has changed.

For example, there is a show on AMC called "Line of Duty" that was originally broadcast on the BBC in 2012, however they were marked as "NEW" by Schedules Direct/Gracenote/EPG123 (since they were new to the USA), so I set up a "New only" Series recording for them, assuming that EPG123's ability to reset the OAD to the airing date of any episode marked NEW would take care of it.

Well, it worked fine for the first 4 episodes, they were all considered NEW by WMC (since the OAD was changed by EPG123), but Gracenote decided to no longer mark them as NEW for some unknown reason starting with s01e05, so now episode 5 of season1 and episodes 1 & 2 of season 6 in the guide have their original OAD, and are no longer considered new (so I've had to set the Series to "New & Rerun" to fix it).

If I had not been doing this manual compare, I may not have noticed this and missed recordings.

I know this has little to do with your question, but I guess maybe you should tell us what you are interested in doing with these programs? I know that Remote Potato can allow you to remotely schedule recordings and even stream recordings to you over the Internet, but I have never used those features.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Sat May 02, 2020 1:27 am

Not sure how long ago it was that I tried Remote Potato, but it seemed clunky and I didn’t care for the interface. My Media Center works great. I use it everyday to look for movies for the day and what’s been recorded. I especially like going to premieres and seeing what is new over the next few weeks.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat May 02, 2020 2:10 am

My media center is designed to be a remote control for WMC via your smartphone. Remote potato was designed to let you stream WMC's content remotely to windows PCs, tablets, and phones. Remote potato also has a web remote built into it but its not as capable as MMC. I thought I would point out some of the differences so that you can decide which is for you.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue May 12, 2020 7:58 am

The only thing that Remote Potato does that My Media Center cannot is content streaming to remote devices. I only used this a couple of times and found the video quality to be pretty average even on the best settings. For everything else (guide, scheduling, management, control) MMC is the better option. The Remote Potato iOS app is dead because it is 32-bit only, so you can only use the web interface. This doesn’t work so well on a small screen device. The MMC app on the other hand is still working great. Unfortunately it has been removed from the App Store and so if you don’t already own it you need to jump through some hoops in order to get it installed.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1