After 'replace.dlls' mute button does not work

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
gregcra

HTPC Specs: Show details

After 'replace.dlls' mute button does not work

Post by gregcra » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:05 pm

Hi - this is aimed at Technodevotee. First - thanks for everything you've done. I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10 and am using your files to get WMC working on windows 10. So I have the basic setup working. I had 'tuner conflict' so I ran your replace.dll. This fixed that problem but it created another. the MUTE button on my remote (windows media center original remote) no long works. It's odd because I can see it MUTE windows.. but sound keeps on coming thru the speaks? The vol up and down still works. My computer connect to a stereo system that actually outputs the sound. I can probably run your 'rolllback.dll' but then i'll again have the tuner conflict problem. thanks for any advice you can give.
Greg

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:42 pm

I've never encountered the problem that you have so other than undoing the changes I don't know what the solution is. The problem is that, as you rightly say, WMC V13 would stop working.

Rollback_dlls is a standalone utility that combines the functionality of replace_dlls and fix_thumbnails so it wouldn't help.

They rename two DLLs in \windows\system32 and replace them with versions that WMC requires.

You could try restoring the renamed files (msvidctl and cpfilters) then remove V13 and install WMC 8.8.4 instead.
Last edited by technodevotee on Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

gregcra

Post by gregcra » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:19 am

Thanks for the reply! If you were a betting man which DLL would you think fixed my TUNER CONFLICT problem (i'm using HDHOMERUN OTA Tuner) msvidctl or cpfilters. Your website does not seem to have 8.8.4 .. is that correct, i should look elsewhere if i take that route? Thanks again for all the work you've done and released to the world!
Greg

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:21 am

from my known issues.txt file:

Code: Select all

There may be no sound or picture when trying to watch live TV or play recorded TV. This is because MS changed the functionality of MsVidCtl.dll. You can run replace_dlls.cmd to fix that.

There may be an error about all tuners being in use when trying to record or crashes when trying to play recorded TV. This is because MS changed the functionality of CpFilters.dll. You can run replace_dlls.cmd to fix that as well.
However, if you are going to install 8.8.4, neither of them need to be rolled back because it puts the required DLLs in the \windows\ehome folder and uses those instead of the ones in \windows\system32.

I don't host WMC 8.8.4 because it isn't mine.

You can download it here: https://mega.nz/#!eHh10AyC!rACoUNaJYMqm ... dx5Hp6nNkc

I don't know if it works with HDHR however.

gregcra

Post by gregcra » Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Hi - I'll post this in case someone else has the same issue. It turns out i needed to 'uncheck' "allow application to take exclusive control of this device" which i found in the ADVANCED tab of the properties for my sound device. It had nothing to do with the replaced DLLs and appears to be a change from windows 7 to windows 10? So this fixed my mute not working problem. thanks.
Greg

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:59 pm

Thanks for posting the resolution.

Glad you got it working.

That might explain why I've never come across the problem. It's been at least 5 years since I actually used Windows 7 and I've certainly never upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10.