WMC unable to find tuners

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
leopor

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC unable to find tuners

Post by leopor » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:42 pm

Currently have a bunch of machines running windows 7 and working mostly alright with WMC and HDHomerun Prime, but some of them require frequent reboots and wmc will crash often. Figured I'd use that as an opportunity to try to get it running on Windows 10 but I have not had much luck at all. Then I started looking into different solutions since I realize WMC must eventually die, such as Kodi, Plex, and NextPVR but WMC honestly does everything I need it to and I really love it.
- Kodi was nice but I don't like that it doesn't have have built in support for PVR, it has to be an add-on
- Plex, no idea
- NextPVR seemed liked a good alternative but I can't get that to wakeup from sleep to record
- Not looking to re-invest the wheel either, just want something that works well

Been trying for about 4 days now and about to give up and just stick with Windows 7 but thought I'd see if anyone has any suggestions.

- Brand new install of Windows 10 1909
- Tried wmc 8.8.4 and v13
- Installed playready from here: https://technodevotee.co.uk/WMC-Downloads.htm
- Both will install and I can run it, but neither will find tuners
Normally with the windows 7 machines I'd have to run the digital cable advisor first before being able to run the setup, but this is where I'm stuck. I either run it and it freezes, or I run it and I fail at graphics saying to update my video card to one that supports hardware acceleration.
- This is the same exact type of device I have running windows 7 and it works fine. It has an intel core i5 8th gen processor using Intel HD 530 which does support hardware acceleration. It's by no means a crappy old machine I found in the corner.
- Tried running the DCA override script but that didn't seem to do much either.

Am I missing something simple or should I just stick to Windows 7?

Thanks

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:27 am

You would need to revert back to Windows 10 version 1511. This is the last known version to work with cable card tuners. And then you would need to disable it from getting updated from Microsoft. Disabling the service is not sufficient. You can use StopUpdates10 to disable it from getting patched. I'd stick with Windows 7 if you need to use a cable card tuner.

leopor

Post by leopor » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:36 pm

Thanks for the reply. I had read a bunch of posts about people getting WMC to work with 1909. I guess I misunderstood and took that to mean they got it working with cablecards. Thanks for the info.