Win10 WMC for DVR only

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
poster72

HTPC Specs: Show details

Win10 WMC for DVR only

Post by poster72 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:57 am

Hello all. I have a win7 still on network to record tv. xfinity customer with HDHomeRun Prime cable card. I want to be able to use WMC on other Win10 PC's, only to stream from the win7 recordedTV folder. I can stream these files on VLC, WMP, without issue. Ive installed WMC and set the library, it sees all the shows. However when trying to play one i receive the "decoder error -video decoder is not installed or not working" error.

Is there an easy fix here? I do not have any desire to have Live TV, IOTW I do not need these to see the tuners at all.

again, WMP and VLC will play these files fine streaming, just like the WMC interface

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:44 am

It seems that the codecs that WMC needs require backdating.

This a well documented issue on Windows 10.

If you have WMC V13, there's utilities in the installer folder to do that. For any other version, you can download them from my website.

poster72

Post by poster72 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:19 pm

Thanks techno! I do have your WMCV13. I tried the fix_thumbnails and also tried to install playready which i hadn't done, but no luck yet. I still get a decoder error. Still researching, but appreciate any pointers.

I do have this Win10 on build 1909, if that is an issue. I saw that after 1511 WMC won't support live TV, but wasn't sure about being capable of just streaming .wtv files from another win7 shared folder.

Also, you taking donations on this :D

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:06 pm

It may be worth trying replace_dlls.cmd as well if you haven't already.

WMC V13 works on every version of Windows 10 I've tried it on up to and including 2004 but I don't know much about protected media because we don't use it here.

The software isn't my property and all I've done is tweak the installers created by the community and turn their fixes into scripts that are easy for the average guy or gal to deploy.

poster72

Post by poster72 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:02 pm

Thx Techno, running the replace_dlls.cmd did the trick! wish i understood all of this a little more. as i said, Kodi, WMP and VLC would all play the files. I believe WMC saves the .wtv files with any DRM or protection, since i can play them from any app?

anyway, that did the trick and now im moving on to building a bigger better HTPC for streaming 4k blu ray's, but WMC i wanted to be a part of this. My wife certainly thanks you! the interface is so much better than other options for our subscribed comcast tv. yup, still paying. using epg123
THX AGAIN!!

poster72

Post by poster72 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 pm

i may move to live TV testing sometime, as i would like to upgrade across the board. If i do i'll keep you posted if you care? Not sure it will see the HDHomerun Tuners, or where the limitations was with build 1511. I just don't have the time to keep up with it all. But again thank you!

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:22 pm

poster72 wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:12 pm i may move to live TV testing sometime, as i would like to upgrade across the board. If i do i'll keep you posted if you care? Not sure it will see the HDHomerun Tuners, or where the limitations was with build 1511. I just don't have the time to keep up with it all. But again thank you!
There have been discussions about it here and on the My Digital Life forum.

A few people are successfully using HDHomerun Prime CCs on WMC V12 with Windows 10 v1511 and the 2015 version of the Silicondust software. Windows needs to be locked down with something like StopUpdates10 otherwise it stops working as soon as updates get applied. The other problem is that some of the newer features and software won't work on old versions of Windows 10 so you aren't really a great deal better off than simply sticking with Windows 7.