Decoder Error

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by technodevotee » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:26 pm

That doesn't sound right to me as you should get an administrator command prompt come up and stay open when you run _testrights so I would recommend that you unzip the installer for v12 to somewhere like c:\temp\wmc_v12 and run uninstaller.cmd as administrator.

You can check to see if the folder I mentioned (c:\programfiles\microsoft\ehome and c:\windows\ehome) have been removed if you want to. There really shouldn't be any need to do anything else at all.

Once you have done that, you can reboot and install V8.8.4.

Soor

Post by Soor » Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:57 pm

I don't see an installer for V12.
Here's what I have:
This PC>Downloads>WMC-V8.8.3. zip> WMC-V.8.8.4>bin.
I have downloaded only 2 zip files: WMC-V8.8.4.zip and WMC_Multi_Tool.zip. I have been trying to run InstallerBlue. cmd from theWMC-V8.8.4 folder. Obviously this is not a correct procedure. So let's start from the beginning, step-by-step.
Tell me exactly which files I'm supposed to open and which files I'm supposed to run, after I download WMC-V8.8.4.zip. I believe I been trying to run the wrong files, the Windows Command Script files Anyway, give me a step-by-step procedure, starting with files that are in the WMC-V8.8.4 folder.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:27 pm

You said:
I downloaded and saved to flash drive near the end of 2017 WMC 6.3.9600.16384 x64 v 12.7z.
I assumed that you still had this somewhere. If not, you can download it from here: https://mega.nz/#!7kdR1ICb!1TCdTd_UpqtY ... 8PVD21mrAU.
unblock the zip file then unzip it to somewhere like c:\wmc and run the uninstaller.cmd contained within as administrator.
reboot.
install 8.8.4 using installblue.cmd within the 8.8.4 folder.

Soor

Post by Soor » Thu Feb 20, 2020 4:33 am

Thanks to your help and patience, I was able to install WMC. However,while setting up Media Center, I was told “Download data is not available at this time” and the Program Guide showed: “Windows Media Center for Windows 8 Version 5.1, March 2012.” and "PlayRead update was incomplete. You will not be able to watch or record protected content till the update is successful." Should I use EPG123? When I tried: "EPG123 Client has not been registered as a source for Media Center even logs. This GUI must be executed with elevated rights to add EPG123 Client as a valid source." I try again tomorrow. Any suggestions?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:57 am

Downloading initial setup data seems to have become really iffy and getting WMC to download and install PlayReady is similarly tricky but at least that can be downloaded from a few places (including my website) and installed manually if needs be.

Both of the EPG123 Programs need to be started with the right click, 'run as administrator' option the first time you run them so that they can do their thing.

Soor

Post by Soor » Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:55 am

WMC is recording into the usual Recorded TV file. However, the Recorded TV does not contain files I had recorded under Windows 7. Is it advisable to transfer those files from Recorded TV on my Windows 7 hard drive to Recorded TV on my Windows 10 hard drive?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:50 am

should be fine

Soor

Post by Soor » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:46 am

WMC is working the way it should be. I thank you for that and your patience. You're a good teacher. But, of course there's a reason for contacting you.The audio from my computer to my TV screen is by way of a 50 foot HDMI cable. I have used this arrangement successfully for several years. More recently, I've been getting audio dropouts which I've remedied by power cycling the HDMI cable. However, within the last month or two this has not always been sufficient been sufficient.it has been necessary for, at times, to restart my computer. At the present, the only way I can get HDMI audio to my Sony TV is if I do not use WMC. Or, I set WMCat reduce screen and then restart my computer. Who wants to watch WMC at reduce screen? Instead I I can open the video files directly, not going through WMC: Libraries/Videos/TV/(and also All TV). Unfortunately, if I do this, I don't have WMC functionality. I've talked to Intel, regarding drivers and I plan to talk to them again, as I think the issue may be in that direction. The HDMI audio to my Sony TV is unstable. Intel has told me they no longer handle my driver, but I should consult the Intel Community Graphics Division, which I did. They directed me to a driver which I had previously found and installed which did not not solve my problem, but I believe it is the correct driver. Intel also told me that not all drivers, in spite of the same name, give the same performance.
I'm telling you this because you may have come across this phenomena and have an opinion. If so, I'd like to hear it.
Again, thanks for your help.

Soor

Post by Soor » Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:53 am

I forgot to add: None of my HDMI audio issues occur if I watch video on my computer monitor as the audio is not supplied through HDMI.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:00 pm

I have had more issues with HDMI in the latest builds of Windows than previously. Nothing else has changed.

Sometimes I don't get a picture and sometimes I don't get any sound. At the very least, although Windows used to remember the audio settings across a sleep cycle or restart, now it always defaults to stereo and I have to keep changing it back when I want to watch a BluRay of DVD.

Other people have made similar observations as well but I'm not sure what the cause is I'm afraid.

edit: One thing that occurred to me is that there was an Update of Android on my Sony Smart TV a while back - maybe that is the cause of the problem in my case?

Soor

Post by Soor » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:29 am

HDMI audio transfer from computer to TV is not affected by opening MOV, MTS, MPG, MP4 MPEG2 or TS files. But as soon as I open a WTD file I lose the audio on HDMI and I lose Intel HDMI option in my taskbar audio device selections and Device Manager Audio listing. Any comment?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:05 am

I assume you have gone through the setup in 'Settings>General>Windows Media Center Setup>Configure your TV or Monitor' and 'Setup your Speakers''?

Soor

Post by Soor » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:05 am

I do not have an audio issue (all your 3/2/2020 suggestions work fine) until I open a WTV file (sorry. I called this a WTD file previously).

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:38 am

No further ideas I'm afraid.

Maybe you should make a new post with details of the problem and hope someone picks up on it.

Soor

Post by Soor » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:08 am

Well, thanks for your input. I want to add a few details to my previous reply. I turned on my Sony TV and then rebooted Windows. As Windows was booting the TV gave its musical chimes indicating that HDMI audio was connecting. With Windows booted I verified that HDMI audio was indicated on the taskbar. All this is typical. Occasionally I have to boot twice. I open WMC and went to the sound settings, ran the test again. They failed. I closed WMC and verified that I had lost HDMI audio as indicated on the taskbar. I can still open WMC on my monitor and get audio because the monitor has no speakers and the audio does not come through HDMI. I suspect my issue is with the Intel HDMI driver which I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times. Also I've consulted with Intel and used their tool to pick the correct driver for my computer. My next step will be to talk with Intel again.I suspect when I tell them that WMC is involved they'll say that's the problem. Also I may repost my details. Somebody may have experienced my problem.

kelsien

Post by kelsien » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:09 pm

technodevotee wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:07 am Did you check to see if the folders I mention have been removed?

What version of WMC did you last have installed and what is in its installer folder?

it should contain one folder named bin and ten files.

Did you remove anything in the installer folder?

What happens if you run _testrights.cmd - do you get an administrator command prompt?
Thank you very much for the solution.