WMC TV Setup gives me a failure on download TV data

eviln3d

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC TV Setup gives me a failure on download TV data

Post by eviln3d » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:52 pm

I'm trying to build a new Windows 7 system with my old Ceton card since my last computer's hard drive died. The problem is the computer I am now using has never had WMC on it before. I installed it, but when I go through the setup it fails to do the downloading TV setup data which would normally allow me to tell WMC which cable system channels to use. If I skip this part then when I go to TV it shows no guide, I get an option for recorded TV and live TV... clearly no data for any guide but I was going to use the EPG123 for that... but then it doesn't seem to matter if I do epg123 because the option for even going to the guide in WMC doesn't show up. WHat am I missing?

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:18 pm

The downloadable setup data is no longer available from Microsoft. (Presumably it went away with the downloadable guide listings.)

But EPG123 can still enable the guide. Just follow the detailed EPG123 install instructions here:

http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/

Vistaar

Post by Vistaar » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:03 am

Wonder what Windows 7 edition you are running? If it isn't Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate, then it may lack needed DRM components even if you managed to install WMC.

I'm actually still getting guide listings from Microsoft/Rovi, but I'm not a cable subscriber and don't know if setup data is still available because I'm already set up.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:44 pm

Vistaar wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:03 am Wonder what Windows 7 edition you are running? If it isn't Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate, then it may lack needed DRM components even if you managed to install WMC.

I'm actually still getting guide listings from Microsoft/Rovi, but I'm not a cable subscriber and don't know if setup data is still available because I'm already set up.

For my W7 Ultimate 32 bit setup, I am also still getting listings. For example, heading out the door to dinner, I remembered I need to set up the Voice to record, and I was dreading not seeing it, but it was all there in the guide, at the correct CST offset even, meaning 7C-9C.

eviln3d

Post by eviln3d » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:40 pm

Vistaar wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:03 am Wonder what Windows 7 edition you are running? If it isn't Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate, then it may lack needed DRM components even if you managed to install WMC.

I'm running Win 7 Professional on this machine. I got the guide to work... but now I'm stuck with the blasted Playready update incomplete loop. I've tried every solution I can find, I remember it was a royal pay the last time I set up the previous machine but this time doing the same things I did last time don't seem to fix the problem. Wondering if I need to be running an older version of windows or downgrade the .net framework... Can't recall how I finally got this stupid playready to work last time because it was probably 5 or 6 years ago.

jeepman

Post by jeepman » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:21 pm

eviln3d wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:40 pm I'm running Win 7 Professional on this machine. I got the guide to work... but now I'm stuck with the blasted Playready update incomplete loop. I've tried every solution I can find, I remember it was a royal pay the last time I set up the previous machine but this time doing the same things I did last time don't seem to fix the problem. Wondering if I need to be running an older version of windows or downgrade the .net framework... Can't recall how I finally got this stupid playready to work last time because it was probably 5 or 6 years ago.
Is anyone on the board good with Wireshark? Seems that this PlayReady failure may need some deep troubleshooting. One issue is I doubt we could get a baseline snapshot of what the traffic looked like when PlayReady was installing just fine.