Help with EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Anuuser

HTPC Specs: Show details

Help with EPG123

Post by Anuuser » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:44 pm

Hello,

I am a new epg 123 user. I installed it on Feb4 with a 7-day trial membership on Schedules Direct. The installation went fine (I think) because I got the latest guide with an end date of 2/18 (14 days worth). I just updated my Schedules Direct membership 2/8 for one full yr so my expiry date is now 2/10/21.I have a few questions below:

1. In setting up the scheduled task, should I be doing it in full mode or client mode? I originally setup the scheduled task in client mode which I realized may not be correct so I changed it on 2/8 to full mode. I only have one PC set up as a recorder and it is where I setup epg123.

2. How often should I see the program guide updated. I have not seen the epg end date change since I first run epg123 on 2/4. It is still 2/18.

3. I have a TV icon in my WMC home screen with a red screen and an X . There is a 2/8/20 date below the icon. What does it mean? Is there something that needs attention?

Any help will be appreciated.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:59 pm

1. Yes, you should be setup as 'Full Mode'... that will download from Schedules Direct, create the MXF file, and import into WMC.

2. The scheduled task will run every day at the time designated, or as soon as convenient after a missed update.

3. The red icon is saying there was an error updating. If your task was setup in 'Client Mode', then EPG123 will recognize the file is old and let you know something is wrong.

Open the EPG123 configuration GUI, make sure the 'Automatically import...' option is selected in the Scheduled Task. If not, you will have to delete your current task and create a new one with the option enabled. Click the [Save & Execute] button. It should update the guide and the status logo in WMC (hopefully green).
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Anuuser

Post by Anuuser » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:18 am

Gary,

Thank you. When I changed from client to full mode on 2/8 in the epg123 client, I did not do a save and execute in the epg123.exe. Could that have been my problem? The 'Automatically import..' is checked in the epg123.exe. I deleted and redid the task schedule in the client program and did a save and execute in the epg123 pgm. After the update the icon turned green as you said And my guide end date is now 2/23 :D :) .

What is the relationship between the epg123client and the epg123 pgms? Does it require that any changes I do on the client program needs to be "saved and executed' in the epg123 program to take effect? Also in making any changes in epg123.exe, and epg123 client, should WMC be closed?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:03 am

epg123.exe is the program that performs the downloads from Schedules Direct and creates the MXF file. The MXF file contains all the guide listings for your lineup(s). The [Save & Execute] is just a method to execute what your Scheduled Task will do.

epg123Client.exe is the program that will import the MXF file from epg123.exe and perform the channel mapping if desired. Though the GUI has a lot of things you can do, the import and mapping is its primary functions and is what it is limited to for your Scheduled Task.

The Scheduled Task you see in epg123.exe and epg123Client.exe is the same task. Creating a 'Full Mode' task in epg123Client.exe is the same as creating a task in epg123.exe with the 'Automatically import...' option enabled. Because you can have a server only (epg123.exe) setup, a client only (epg123Client.exe) setup, or a full setup, I provided a method to create the task in both programs but it will be the same task but configured on however you need it.

So, again, the [Save & Execute] is really just to execute what the scheduled task would do without actually running the task. WMC can be open but there has been some reports that if you are watching a program (not recording), then some channels may not get updated. This may be some safety logic from WMC to prevent disruption of the channel you are watching... don't know.
- Gary

Anuuser

Post by Anuuser » Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:21 am

Gary,

Thank you for the explanation. It helps understand epg123 better.

What I have installed is epg123 v1.3.5.0. Is it recommended to install the newest version v1.3.5.30? Which upgrade method is recommended - run the new setup file or copy over the old files with the contents of the portable zip file? Is there a risk that the updating process might affect anything in the current setup? IS it okey to have WMC open or closed during the update?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 2:57 am

You can look at the notes of the release to see if it is something you want/need. I doubt that is the case for you with v1.3.5.30, but it is your choice.

I recommend the update be the same method as your install. If you ran the setup program, then run the setup program for any updates of EPG123. The setup simply copies over the old binaries with the new binaries and doesn't touch any of the user/configuration files. It is a seamless update with no further action needed.

Since EPG123 does not reside in memory or run as a service, there is no risk of any interaction with WMC. WMC can be open and you can be watching and/or recording all you want when updating EPG123.
- Gary

Anuuser

Post by Anuuser » Mon Feb 10, 2020 3:17 am

Gary,

Okey. Thanks for your response. I have read the notes and it does not seem relevant for my installation at this time. I am guessing future upgrades that may be applicable to my setup will include the v1.3.5.30 feature updates anyway right?

Thanks a lot for your patience and help.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:08 am

Correct, and you're welcome.
- Gary

Anuuser

Post by Anuuser » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:25 am

Thank you very much again.

Anuuser

Post by Anuuser » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:55 pm

Gary,

If I may I have a follow up question That came to mind. If I wanted to change the time the task is scheduled to run, I'd have to delete the current task schedule and create a new one with the new time. Right? Would it necessitate a "save & execute" or a "save" would suffice?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:06 am

Anuuser wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:55 pm Gary,

If I may I have a follow up question That came to mind. If I wanted to change the time the task is scheduled to run, I'd have to delete the current task schedule and create a new one with the new time. Right? Would it necessitate a "save & execute" or a "save" would suffice?
No need for a Save & Execute, or even a Save really. Recall you can create the same task in the client and there are no Save buttons there.

Alternatively, you could edit the task manually in Task Scheduler if you wanted. Deleting and creating a new one will probably be quicker though.
- Gary

Anuuser

Post by Anuuser » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:11 am

Gary,

Thank you very much. That makes it so much easier.