mcupdate with EPG123

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
WMCLives

HTPC Specs: Show details

mcupdate with EPG123

Post by WMCLives » Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:13 pm

Do any of the mcupdate tasks still need to run if using EPG123? Specifically, mcupdate -crl -hms -pscn 15 and mcupdate -uf

glorp

Post by glorp » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:45 pm

Yes. If you want to stop daily download tasks you should do that from the options inside the WMC Tasks menu. Don't disable the scheduled tasks. They will still continue to run every 5 days to perform database maintenance that removes old schedule entries. If you disable the task your database is going to grow without limit.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:29 pm

I found that the mcupdate_scheduled task, which runs “mcupdate.exe -crl -hms -pscn 15”, would occasionally corrupt the Media Center database causing it to go into recovery. At least three other forum members have reported the same.

I disabled that task a couple of years ago and haven’t experienced any further issues or adverse effects.

I believe the -uf switch just forces an update.

I think it is the -dbgc switch does database garbage collection.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

rimmel

Post by rimmel » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:11 am

Since January 30, 2020 the daily mcupdate run gets connection errors on all the retrieval tasks it used to perform not just nettv. Microsoft must have shutdown the servers that mcupdate was accessing. However, client maintenance still runs every 5 days as always. Has anyone figured out how to prevent mcupdate from attempting these retrieval tasks, but preserving client maintenance? Could some switch/option on the mcupdate_scheduled task stop these retrieval attempts? Are the mcupdate switches documented?

glorp

Post by glorp » Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:12 pm

Disable the 2 the download options from WMC Tasks>General>Automatic Download Options. mcupdate will still run every 5 days if they are disabled but no package downloads will be attempted.

rimmel

Post by rimmel » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:20 am

glorp wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:12 pm Disable the 2 the download options from WMC Tasks>General>Automatic Download Options. mcupdate will still run every 5 days if they are disabled but no package downloads will be attempted.
This works just as I wanted! Thanks for the input.