Decoder Error

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
Soor

HTPC Specs: Show details

Decoder Error

Post by Soor » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:20 pm

I installed WMC onto a clone of Windows 7, then upgraded to Windows 10 using WMC64.and then installed EPG123. When I attempt to play a recording from my previous Windows 7 WMC, I get:
"Decoder Error. The video decoder is not working, it is not installed, or is not supported. Try installing the Codec or restarting your computer. For more information about Codecs see Windows Help". The WMC64 installer came with a file, Workarounds.txt with the instructions: "If you have 'Decoder Error', you may install Shark007 codec pack.I did this and also downloaded the instructions.
I am mystified with the instructions and how I'm to use Shark 007. Can anyone help?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:39 am

Please tell us which version of Windows 10 and WMC you installed.

It sounds like you need to reinstall the Windows System DLL and associated registry entries for the original bda/cp/ca filter and XDS codec (ENCDec.DLL) that WMC relies on.

You can use my fix thumbnails or WMC multi tool to do that if you like.

Soor

Post by Soor » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:04 am

I downloaded and saved to flash drive near the end of 2017 WMC 6.3.9600.16384 x64 v 12.7z and in August 2018 I downloaded and saved to flash drive from download.Microsoft.com the media creation tool for Windows 10. I think it was version 10…. I have upgraded to1803. Before the upgrade I had the problem described and still have the problem after the upgrade. I was considering reinstalling Windows 10, but if there's an easier fix I'd like to hear it.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:13 am

OK. You have a few choices.

The simplest fix is to get yourself a copy of my WMC Multi Tool and use the restore functionality of ENCDEC feature.

However, the WMC installer you are using is ancient and won't install on anything after 1803 so, since you are using 1803 already, It would be best to install WMC V8.8.4, which has the required workarounds built in. That way, when Windows gets updated you will be ready for it.

Alternatively, install my V13 and use the required workarounds I have included with the package when Microsoft break something.

Soor

Post by Soor » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:47 am

Thanks for your help. If I decide to follow your advice keep you posted.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:34 am

have a look at this: viewtopic.php?f=97&t=12510.

Sergei

Post by Sergei » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:44 pm

I just had the same issue when installing WMC-V13_x64 on Win10 1803, (build 17134.1246).

I tried Shark007 and it seemed to have no effect. Though I'm not sure if I did it correctly; the interface and the instructions seem to have diverged quite a bit and I wasn't sure if/when the changes were applied.

Then I tried fix_thumbnails.cmd. No help either - though it did fix the thumbnails brilliantly!

Then I tried both the commands for reverting the EncDec.dll in WMC MultiTool, restarting after each of course. Neither worked.

Finally I tried replace replace_dlls.cmd. For some reason, that one did the trick.

Or maybe doing all those things in that particular order did the trick!

Anyway, thanks for all the hard work you and others have put into this. In just 24 hours I have WMC running just as well on Win10 as it ever did on 7.

(Well, apart from grabbing the channel listings from somewhere. Next problem...)

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:08 pm

For anyone else reading this:

Fix thumbnails reinstates encdec.dll and the registry entries that make it work. It resolves codec related issues with thumbnails and dvr-ms files.

Replace dlls rolls back cpfilters and msvidctl. It resolves other codec related issues.

These functions are available in the WMC-V13 installer folder and, for use with other installers, are rolled into one package along with some other features in WMC Multi Tool.

There is a text file provided with WMC-V13 and WMC Multi Tool that describes the known issues that people are likely to encounter and the steps required to resolve them.

Soor

Post by Soor » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:48 pm

I want to check with you again before I work with WMC V8.8.4 or V13. I have now updated Windows 10 to 10.0.18363 (1909) and I want to know if, therefore, I would best is served by using V13. After I did the update to 1909 I was unable to access WMC. So I am anxious to get on with upgrading WMC.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:06 pm

As you probably already know, the upgrade removes the WMC services and registry entries and the only way to get WMC working again is to uninstall the remains of the existing version, reboot and install again.

The choice between V8.8.4 and V13 is partly down to your requirements, partly down to what else you have on your PC and partly down to how much you like fixing issues when they arise.

V8.8.4 is the latest version available and works great for most people because it has most of the workarounds you'll need build in so that it works 'out of the box'. There are some circumstances where it doesn't work though (DVBLink is one) and you can't use it full screen in an RDP session.

Despite the moniker, V13 is actually older because it uses V12 files with a modified V8 style installer so that it can be installed on the latest versions of Windows 10 (up to and including 2004) it is also the only version that can be installed on 32bit Windows 10 after V1803. It works with DVBLink and can be used full screen in an RDP session.

In terms of installation, there are some add-ons included which need to be run to overcome problems caused by changes made to the O/S but they generally only need to be run once at installation time. As I said in my last post, there is a Known Issues text file that explains the issues you are likely to encounter and which add-ons to run to overcome them.

Soor

Post by Soor » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:42 pm

Where can I find WMC V8.8.4 to download?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:56 pm

Soor

Post by Soor » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:22 pm

I think I removed all remnants of my old WMC files, but I'm not sure. Here's the steps that I took: As an administrator I ran ehshell which allowed me to open old WMC, so I knew it was still around. Uninstallor.cmd did not remove after reboot. But I was able to open file location and found a WMC shortcut which I deleted. That deleted WMC from my Windows 10 startup application list. If I do a Media Center search, I get results which don't open. So, do you think I'm ready to reinstall?

Also, was the difference between Green and Blue insulation in WMC-V8.8.4.zip?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:02 pm

If you ran uninstaller.cmd it should have removed the shortcuts(s), services, scheduled tasks, \programdata\Microsoft\ehome and \windows\ehome. The installer folder will remain wherever you put it and you can remove it manually (assuming you don't want to restore a backup from it).

If that is how the system is now, then WMC should be no more and the system is ready to reinstall (assuming you have rebooted).

Soor

Post by Soor » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:12 am

Also, was the difference between Green and Blue insulation in WMC-V8.8.4.zip?

Soor

Post by Soor » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:14 am

Also,what is the difference between Green and Blue insulation in WMC-V8.8.4.zip?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:15 am

Soor wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:12 am Also, was the difference between Green and Blue insulation in WMC-V8.8.4.zip?
it is just the background menu color, green is too bright and strains the eyes IMO.

Soor

Post by Soor » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:11 am

So InstallerBlue.cmd took me to Windows Command Processor and then an error: "MediaCenter pack is already installed". I ran uninstaller.cmd, which didn't seem to do much. Just a flash of black screen and that was it. So I guess I haven't found all the WMC fragments. I'll keep looking.

Notice that I started by running InstallerBlue.cmd. Here are instructions that I downloaded from Mr. Martin: "Download the latest version of WMC and extract the archive to the local system once you are done".Well,that's not quite the same as running the Blue installer.space Here are some more. "Run the following batch files afterward (?). Note that you can right-click on batch files and select Edit from the context menu to see exactly what they do.
1. Right-click on _TestRights.cmd and select "run as administrator" to test privileges and permissions.
2. Right-click on InstallerBlue.cmd ... etc.
So it looks as though I'm running InstallerBlue at the wrong time. As you can see, I'm a bit confused as to the order of my progress. Mr. Martin seems to been able to uninstall fragments at the time he installed WMC using what appears to of been WMC-V8.8.2\bin\Installblue.bat. It created hard links, set attributes, deleted unwanted WMC languages installed assemblies, and so on. He does not explain where he got the means to do this. All I get is the error messag "MediaCenter pack is already installed".

_

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:07 am

Did you check to see if the folders I mention have been removed?

What version of WMC did you last have installed and what is in its installer folder?

it should contain one folder named bin and ten files.

Did you remove anything in the installer folder?

What happens if you run _testrights.cmd - do you get an administrator command prompt?

Soor

Post by Soor » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:47 pm

I downloaded and saved to flash drive near the end of 2017 WMC 6.3.9600.16384 x64 v 12.7z and in August 2018 I downloaded and saved to flash drive from download.Microsoft.com the media creation tool for Windows 10. I think it was version 10…. I have upgraded to1803. Before the upgrade I had the problem described and still have the problem after the upgrade. I was considering reinstalling Windows 10, but if there's an easier fix I'd like to hear it.

Install_ServerWMC-1255.zip, is located in my Chrome Downloads folder. There are two files located in this folder: Installer_ ServerWMC.msi (Windows Installer Package) and Installer_ ServerWMC.msi (SIGNATURE File)

When I run testrights.cm I get a preview of the command page (black) and then the Windows Command Processor followed by a even briefer view of the command page. This is similar to running your installer, except I don't get the message about an existing WMC.

From command prompt I ran\WindowsMediaCenter /v MediaCenter /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
The operation completed successfully, but did not resolve the issue.

I ran MSConfig (System Configuration) and found no references to eh… files nor Media Center.

I ran Group Policy Object Editor (GPEdit.msc), and found no references to eh… files nor Media Center. I searched Administrative Templates and Windows Components and found no references to eh… files nor Media Center.

I ran Task Manager (Services, Processes, Startups and History) and found only ehprivjob.exe. I left it alone.