v1.3.5 Release

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
ks87

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by ks87 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:54 pm

I just reran the TV signal setup. Opened the EPG123 Client and it worked! I will follow the rest of your installation instructions now.

dahef

Post by dahef » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:11 am

garyan2 wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:35 am No, it won't help with that. I just verified and it looks like MS finally turned that feature off. Before, we would get the Similar Movies, Reviews, Extended Cast & Crew, and this ability to find all movies an actor had played a part in to not only list them but to also set a recording in the future. That information was provided by AMG (All Movie Guide), which somewhere along the line just became AllMovies owned by none other than Rovi.

They had already shut down the CD/DVD metadata, now with the guide ending it looks like they shut this down as well. Unfortunately, makes too much sense.

EDIT: fixed grammer/spelling
I don't suppose there's any way for schedules direct to get their hands on this data?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:53 am

There are probably plenty of ways to get the data, but the problem is there is no way to put that into WMC. The old method was a "live" exchange between WMC and a server. There was nothing stored in the database, so nothing I can do to add it.

Just a note, when you selected a movie for a future record, all it did was create a WishList recording of the movie title.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Space

Post by Space » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:02 pm

I have mentioned this in the past, but I'll mention it again. You can set up a simple HTTP server on the WMC system and replicate the server that served that extended data, then edit the hosts file to redirect WMC to that server instead of the Microsoft server on the Internet (just point the Microsoft domain for the server to the localhost, or another local server, or even a replacement server on the Internet if someone wants to maintain one).

I had mentioned this before the service was gone in hopes that someone would capture the sessions to the server so that the protocol could be understood. If someone didn't do that, then it will probably be harder for someone to implement something like this now.

This is similar to what was done to replace the ReplayTV servers way back.

You can see my original post from over a year ago here.

rkulagow

Post by rkulagow » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:44 pm

(I work for Schedules Direct)

Schedules Direct has all of that available, but someone would need to let me know what the protocol looked like in order to try to replicate it.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:32 am

rkulagow wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:44 pm (I work for Schedules Direct)

Schedules Direct has all of that available, but someone would need to let me know what the protocol looked like in order to try to replicate it.
Robert,

Thanks for looking at this, I know you were involved with the ReplayTV solution as well.

I have no idea if anyone captured any sessions of this exchange while it was still working. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a simple XML format of some sort. Hopefully someone did a packet capture or HTML capture of some sort and explicitly captured this communication, or perhaps incidentally captured it while monitoring their network in general.

I suppose the format may also be determined by looking at the code, but that is way beyond my understanding.

4moreinstallstoxmas

Post by 4moreinstallstoxmas » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:31 pm

I knew the Rovi EPG was ending as I was nagged to death for weeks but I have EPG123 and schedules direct so I was not bothered, until I went to surf a particular actors works. I see that any movies that are being aired during the span of the guide are listed, I looked at the cast and crew for one movie due to air in a few days and selected the director. The director had another movie being aired during the guide period so I presume that WMC looks at the data it already has and used to do that plus calling a server. So perhaps it may be possible to find out what format is being used to trawl the EPG and if that has any relationship with the method previously used to trawl the AMG servers.
It was a feature I used and sometimes I would get the pleasant surprise of seeing a movie I had set to record in the future from perhaps many months earlier. I also used it as an argument settler, who appeared in another movie type of question, much more civilised than getting a smartphone out and tapping away at the IMDB site. I really hope someone with knowledge finds a solution, not the end of the world if it does not happen but it was a nice feature I thought.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:16 pm

Since everyone is watching with his phone in his hand anyway, IMDB solves all those problems--and there's nothing "uncivil" about using IMDB. It's the modern tool.

Unless you think those fancy steam engines taking over for horses were "uncivil"?

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:43 pm

I just installed the minor update to 1.3.5.30 and now I get the yellow EPG launch alert. I did a download and exit and then an import and restarted MC but no luck. Maybe I'm missing something and the clock has to tick over to the next day before the download is "new"? Also the Client title bar still shows just 1.3.5 not 1.3.5.30

4moreinstallstoxmas

Post by 4moreinstallstoxmas » Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:21 am

adam1991 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:16 pm Since everyone is watching with his phone in his hand anyway, IMDB solves all those problems--and there's nothing "uncivil" about using IMDB. It's the modern tool.

Unless you think those fancy steam engines taking over for horses were "uncivil"?
There is only one screen in my cinema, phones are left in other rooms.

paulcarrm9mx

Post by paulcarrm9mx » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:54 pm

Hi can your software work in the UK. Cheers Paul

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:19 pm

paulcarrm9mx wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:54 pm Hi can your software work in the UK. Cheers Paul
Did you not like the previous answers? :eh:

viewtopic.php?f=99&t=12843
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37 am

4moreinstallstoxmas wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:21 am
adam1991 wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 3:16 pm Since everyone is watching with his phone in his hand anyway, IMDB solves all those problems--and there's nothing "uncivil" about using IMDB. It's the modern tool.

There is only one screen in my cinema, phones are left in other rooms.
Uh huh.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:12 am

And I don't own a smart phone or even a cell phone. So your assumption is invalid.