WMC-V13 for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
clubmaker

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by clubmaker » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:12 pm

just wanted to leave an update on far ive progressed with my hauppauge wintv-dcr-2650 cable card tuner runningg on windows 10 1511 x64 build 18363.592 with WMC v13 x64. The cable advisory was an issue until i went into WMC libraries extra and ran the cable advisory test and set up. Currently ive made some small progress and can now view on WMC only local digital cable stations from spectrum maybe 4 stations. When i try to change channel and view other non local cable channels i get a screen that says ( i didnt write this down so its from memory) critical files have been overwritten and are missing. SO... AT this point im stepping back and wondering if ive reached the end with WMC and windows 10 1511. Maybe i should try windows 8.1 or maybe there is a solution to windows 10 im unaware of.sorry to ask this again but has anyone come across this issue with missing critical files? Clubmaker... Maybe i should just stick to golf. LOL

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:17 pm

You should uninstall v13 and reinstall wmc 8.8.1 or 8.8.4. the version your using is what is causing the error message

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:59 pm

@cwinfield is probably correct about not using V13 on Windows 10 v1511 and I do state in the known issues text file that it has not been tested on anything before 1709.

This is because none of the fixes that are incorporated was needed until 1709 came out.

However, I have been told that V12 is the only version that allows cable cards to work on Windows 10 v1511 but that also gives the system files modified error and the workaround is to use BCDEdit to disable integrity checks using:

Code: Select all

bcdedit /set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
and
Bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:29 pm

cablecards work with 8.8.1 & v12, both support extenders as well

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:59 pm

thanks for clarification

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:56 pm

well i deleted WMC v13 as suggested and after rebooting tried to install v13 again only because i forgot to mention during the first install i had installed from technodevotee web site the old ver of ready play and also during the first install i installed digital cable advisor both because of issues i got into. So...i kept ready play installed and uninstalled digital cable advisor...rebooted and installed WMC v13 for the second time...Now during the wmc setup i get no tuner...so uninstall v13 and install v8.8.4 and during setup i get as well no tuner. now im confused as to what ive done that caused this no tuner. tomorrow i will start again and maybe reload windows 10 1511 and start fresh. During the first install of v13 i remember ready player being and issue so thats why i installed his old ver and it did solve the issue but the digital cable advisor got installed because i wasnt going into library extras and diong that task...my mistake. what next? you guys are great with the feedback i really appreciate the time you take to help us!!

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:08 pm

Someone told me that the old version of PlayReady allows cable cards to work in Windows 10 v1511 but the new version doesn't.

It sounds your best bet would be to uninstall PlayReady and WMC and reboot then install the old version of PlayReady and WMC V8.8.1 as @cwinfield suggests.

Unfortunately, I can't test any of this stuff though because I'm in the UK and don't use DRM.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:44 pm

just a quick update after the changes i made... as suggested i uninstalled playready (old ver) and wmc 8.8.4 rebooted and reinstalled playready (old ver) and wmc 8.8.1 and during the wmc setup i was still getting no tuner. not sure what has changed because at one point when wmc v13 was installed i actually received local stations only..but that particular install did have its challenges with playready and digital cable advisor...so since the first install all other attempts have had the same issue no tuner. FYI I started with windows 8.1 x64 and upgraded to windows 10 1511. again...i thank you for any advice

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:29 pm

Are you reinstalling and running digital cable advisor after removing and reinstalling WMC?

Have you searched/read through this thread https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... ves.61061/ ? It is a hell of a thing but there are people there who have got cable working in 1511.

The other thing is that if you are no longer using V13, you might be better off creating a new generic post under windows 10 media center for more 'visibility' as most people with cable would be more likely to be using something other then V13.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:39 pm

no i uninstalled digital cable advisor before the last try with wmc 8.8.1

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:42 pm

But isn't that the thing that makes them available to WMC?

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:47 pm

I am testing cable cards with Windows 10 Build 1511 and WMC 13. During my setup, I did nothing with PlayReady except install it when asked during the WMC setup. When I got a message about Digital Cable Advisor, I recall simply ignoring it and going forward, The only difference between my setup and yours is that I use 2 HDHomerun tuners- and that I have Comcast cable cards. See this thread for the step-by-step process that patrick0525 posted.
viewtopic.php?p=135021#p135021

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:23 pm

when i installed windows 10 1511 with wmc v13 the wmc setup went fine right from the start it found the tuner with no issues. playready was my first issue and i fix that your old ver. the next issue i had was with digital cable advisor ( where i installed microsoft digital cable advisor) but looking back at that time i had forgot to go into library extras where you run wmc digital cable advisor. so...maybe i never had to load digital cable advisor x64 (which i had in my downloads folder from 2018 when setting up cable card for windows 7)

The Digital Cable Advisor measures system parameters such as CPU speed, RAM, graphics card support for hardware acceleration, and digital connection capabilities. If the PC meets the minimum requirements, the tool enables digital cable functionality on the PC.Dec 30, 2010

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:57 pm

i think burger23 is correct to point in the direction of playready when dealing with my issues. dont you think when i had windows 10 1511 with wmc v13 and i had loaded playready (old ver ) and i had the local stations only that maybe the digital rights management (DRM) was the issue with all the other cable stations from playing ? doesnt playready deal witth that part of wmc ? sorry...currently im stumped as to why im not seeing the tuner . the hauppauge drivers are working properly in device manager. what ver of wmc would you suggest for windows 8.1 with my cable card tuner if windows 10 is a dead end. thanks again for all your help!! other cable card tuners (like hdhomerun users) have been successful with windows 10 but only with OTA ? is that correct or are some getting all cable stations?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:22 pm

Well it seems to me that DRM is a windows subsystem that isn't only for WMC. My understanding was that you install Playready to enable DRM then install the DCA plug-in into WMC and run it in to enable cable card support in WMC.

If you read the thread on MDL that I linked to you will see that at least one person told me that they had to run DCA before their tuners would work. Elsewhere on this forum one of the first questions people asked was 'have you run DCA?' so it seems like it is important.

It might be that the HDHomerun software that @burger23 is using does that for him so maybe that's why he didn't need to use the plug in? Also, the tuners he is using are networked and not plugged into his PC so maybe there is a difference there as well. Who knows how they work - not me.

I don't believe that Windows 10 with cable is a dead end because other people have it working so I think there must be a step you are missing somewhere.

Have you followed the installation instructions @burger23 linked to?

Admittedly there are differences: He is using HDHR tuners like @burger23 and not internal ones and he is also using V13.

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:24 pm

clubmaker- sometimes people (including myself!) tend to overthink an issue. You have tried several approaches- none have worked. I strongly suggest that you simply wipe for hard disk (assuming that you are using a dedicated machine), and follow the simple steps shown in the link previously mentioned: viewtopic.php?p=135021#p135021 This is a relatively quick process- and should get the result that you want.

recapen

Post by recapen » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:25 am

Getting ready to transfer my .wtv files and recording schedules from my Windows 7 box...
Just ran this install package on my brand new W10 (build 1903) box Intel4790K/32GB-RAM. I have copied some of my .wtv files over for testing before I migrate 20TB of recorded files...everything is still running fine on my W7 box till I get this working properly!

After unzipping it, first it said 'path has spaces' - then it said 'path too long'....I Had to move the install package to the root directory then it ran the install script (appeared to be successfully).

After installing - clicked the newly added to my desktop Green-Button...absolutely nothing happened...
Rebooted - clicked the new green button again...absolutely nothing happened...

Can't figure what I messed up...I ran the installer in the package...

Any ideas?! Thanks!!!

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:54 am

recapen wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:25 am Getting ready to transfer my .wtv files and recording schedules from my Windows 7 box...
Just ran this install package on my brand new W10 (build 1903) box Intel4790K/32GB-RAM. I have copied some of my .wtv files over for testing before I migrate 20TB of recorded files...everything is still running fine on my W7 box till I get this working properly!

After unzipping it, first it said 'path has spaces' - then it said 'path too long'....I Had to move the install package to the root directory then it ran the install script (appeared to be successfully).

After installing - clicked the newly added to my desktop Green-Button...absolutely nothing happened...

Any ideas?! Thanks!!!
Did you try with admin privileges? I seem to remember that people were copying the ehome directory to another location as some new windows 10 feature was preventing execution of the program.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:11 am

recapen wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:25 am Getting ready to transfer my .wtv files and recording schedules from my Windows 7 box...

Any ideas?! Thanks!!!
The only time I have ever had 'absolutely nothing happen' was when I installed WMC on a freshly installed copy of Windows before it had finished updating itself and rebooted a few times.

If you read the Known Issues text file, you will see that you need to run a few workaround to get it working.

recapen

Post by recapen » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:58 am

Running it as administrator got me a step further - Thanks!
Next I'll be programming it for my Hauppauge Quad tuner card and moving the EPG123 service as well.

Thanks again for the help - updates as they happen!