New HDHR tuner messed up EPG

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
n4mwd

HTPC Specs: Show details

New HDHR tuner messed up EPG

Post by n4mwd » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:46 pm

I've had EPG123 working great now for a few weeks. No problems until now.

I just installed my new HD HomeRun Connect Duo tuner and it messed up the EPG. I was able to do a "Rebuild Database" and it seems to have fixed most of the EPG, but now all of my VHF channels are missing again.

The tuner install made me do another WMC channel scan and that didn't detect any VHF channels. Probably half come from VHF.

Is there a way to do this automatically? That is, force WMC to do a proper scan including all the VHF channels. Or at least, be able to include them manually with the EPG123 app?

I was able to view all the VHF channels from the HDHR tuner on my Roku without any problem so I think this is a WMC bug.

So is there a less painful way of adding back the missing channels without having to do each one manually from inside WMC?

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:40 pm

n4mwd wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:46 pmIs there a way to do this automatically? That is, force WMC to do a proper scan including all the VHF channels. Or at least, be able to include them manually with the EPG123 app?
WMC has never scanned VHF frequencies.

It used to download "TV setup data" which told it what VHF frequencies were used in your ZIP code.

I think if you run the WMC TV setup again and agree to the terms and guide, I think it will still download that data -- but then you have to disable the Rovi guide.

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 am

I was hoping to maybe be able to add the data directly to a file of some sort. Or at least be able to copy the file so I don't have to keep manually adding 25 channels.

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:06 pm

tonywagner wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:40 pm WMC has never scanned VHF frequencies.

It used to download "TV setup data" which told it what VHF frequencies were used in your ZIP code.
But isn't EPG123 doing the same thing? It downloads the channel lineup in my area - probably from SD I suppose. When I run EPG123 client, it shows two channel listings. The one on the right shows all the VHF stations automatically.

If I have used WMC "Add Missing Channel", then those appear in the left column. The channel info is there, but I'm not sure if SD includes the actual frequency.

One more question, will the backup database feature save all the missing channels that I have painstakingly added back in?

Space

Post by Space » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:26 pm

The data from SD does not include the frequencies, the Microsoft data did. It's that simple.

A database backup backs up the entire WMC database, so yes, your channels will be saved, but this is not ideal since if you need to run TV Setup again (for whatever reason), you cannot restore the database without overwriting everything (so the changes that were made by running TV Setup will also be overwritten).

A better thing would be for EPG123 to save a separate copy of all the channels you manually added to the WMC database. Then, after you do a "TV Setup" you could use EPG123 to add those channels back again (rather than doing a complete DB restore).

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:19 pm

Space wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:26 pm A better thing would be for EPG123 to save a separate copy of all the channels you manually added to the WMC database. Then, after you do a "TV Setup" you could use EPG123 to add those channels back again (rather than doing a complete DB restore).
That, and maybe a public file located here on TGB or github that can be updated from FCC information that EPG123 could download. The frequencies can change occasionally, but they are mostly stable at the moment. It shouldn't be too hard to maintain such a file.