WMC-V13 for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
tonywagner

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by tonywagner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:18 am

rogoued wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:30 am Ok, guys, yes, the stutter is in the recording, it is not part of the replay. Also, I have an i7 16GB RAM, this is not a machine issue IMHO. Brand new Dell computer that all I did was add WMC and that was it. My Tuners are a single HDHomerun Quattro. This happens consistently, whether I have a single show recording or multiple. TIA
Sounds like a signal issue. Run these tests with the HDHomerun software in a command prompt:

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... acket_loss

You should see periods (".") while it is getting the signal successfully, "t" for reception issues, or "n" for network issues. Let it run for awhile and see what you get.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:39 am

What antivirus are you using?

Have you excluded WTV files from scanning in it?

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:06 am

I run AV that is part of windows 10 - nothing special

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:34 pm

tonywagner wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:18 am
rogoued wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:30 am Ok, guys, yes, the stutter is in the recording, it is not part of the replay. Also, I have an i7 16GB RAM, this is not a machine issue IMHO. Brand new Dell computer that all I did was add WMC and that was it. My Tuners are a single HDHomerun Quattro. This happens consistently, whether I have a single show recording or multiple. TIA
Sounds like a signal issue. Run these tests with the HDHomerun software in a command prompt:

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... acket_loss

You should see periods (".") while it is getting the signal successfully, "t" for reception issues, or "n" for network issues. Let it run for awhile and see what you get.
I ran it for an hour or so and got this.

5271634 packets received, 78198 overflow errors, 10 network errors, 0 transport errors, 0 sequence errors

My computer is wired to the same network that the Quattro is wired to. I do not use wireless anywhere on my network, other than for my laptops. The HTPC and the Quattro are BOTH wired to a gigabit switch which is wired to my whole house gigabit switch.

In the past, my setup was using two AverMidedia Dual tuners attached via PIA in my old HTPC. So why would I be getting network errors and overflows? TIA

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:31 pm

rogoued wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:34 pmI ran it for an hour or so and got this.

5271634 packets received, 78198 overflow errors, 10 network errors, 0 transport errors, 0 sequence errors

My computer is wired to the same network that the Quattro is wired to. I do not use wireless anywhere on my network, other than for my laptops. The HTPC and the Quattro are BOTH wired to a gigabit switch which is wired to my whole house gigabit switch.

In the past, my setup was using two AverMidedia Dual tuners attached via PIA in my old HTPC. So why would I be getting network errors and overflows? TIA
Wired is good, but you could still have an iffy cable or switch or firewall somewhere between the HDHomerun and your HTPC. And any of those could cause subtle oddities on an otherwise functional network.

I see you posted this on Silicondust's forum too, they should have a better understanding than me! Specifically, I'm not exactly sure what "overflow errors" means.

But for the network errors, I'd try to simplify for troubleshooting. Start with a direct connection between the device and a PC -- ideally a laptop, so you can move it around easily. Set the laptop's network interface to a static IP address in the range of 169.254.x.x (eg. 169.254.1.10) with a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Leave the gateway blank. Connect the HDHomerun directly to the laptop's ethernet port and try running that hdhomerun_config command again. Should show no network errors, since it's entirely local, assuming the ethernet cable is good.

Next step, connect both the laptop and the HDHomerun to wired ports on the same router, and run the test again. As long as the tests come back perfect, keep moving the HDHomerun one further network hop away from the laptop, or the laptop one further hop away from the HDHomerun, and repeat the test. Once you get the bad test result, then you'd know exactly which network hop caused it.

shpitz461

Post by shpitz461 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:01 pm

Yeah, eliminating devices (routers/switches/hubs, etc...) in between the tuner and target pc is a good start. Siliconedust also mentions a software firewall on the pc could be the culprit.

I run the packet test on both my tuners from my htpc, simultaneously, they both came back clean:

-- Video statistics --
5978911 packets received, 0 overflow errors, 0 network errors, 0 transport errors, 0 sequence errors

-- Video statistics --
5977702 packets received, 0 overflow errors, 0 network errors, 0 transport errors, 0 sequence errors

I have (2) HDHR4-2US tuners (for a total of 4 tuners).

One thing I did was eliminate the throttling per the SiliconeDust thread (registry tweak and reboot).

Running Windows 10 1909 build 18363.535 with WMC v13.

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:04 pm

As I posted in the HDHR forum, it looks better after doing all the optimizations that my network card called for and the removal of the throttling in Windows and rebooting. There were still a few issues - but I hope those are minimal. Waiting for their response. Thanks! Of course, it should record today so we will see what happens. Thanks again

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:05 pm

shpitz461 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:01 pm Yeah, eliminating devices (routers/switches/hubs, etc...) in between the tuner and target PC is a good start. Siliconedust also mentions a software firewall on the PC could be the culprit.

I run the packet test on both my tuners from my HTPC, simultaneously, they both came back clean:

-- Video statistics --
5978911 packets received, 0 overflow errors, 0 network errors, 0 transport errors, 0 sequence errors

-- Video statistics --
5977702 packets received, 0 overflow errors, 0 network errors, 0 transport errors, 0 sequence errors

I have (2) HDHR4-2US tuners (for a total of 4 tuners).

One thing I did was eliminate the throttling per the SiliconeDust thread (registry tweak and reboot).

Running Windows 10 1909 build 18363.535 with WMC v13.
That looks nice - mine was a bit worse than yours but far better than before:

6298840 packets received, 278 overflow errors, 2 network errors, 0 transport errors, 7 sequence errors

I am waiting for the next ideas from them. I ran all the optimizations and removed the throttling

EmmyTheCat

Post by EmmyTheCat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:53 pm

I setup WMC to record TV to my D: drive, but its recording to the default C: directory. Is there a registry setting or any other setting I can change?

Never mind I found the registry entry. Got it working now!

plplplpl

Post by plplplpl » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:51 pm

EmmyTheCat wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:53 pm Never mind I found the registry entry.
How about sharing with the class? :)

mwpeterson

Post by mwpeterson » Thu Jan 16, 2020 9:19 pm

No need to mess with the registry. Just go to Tasks > Settings > TV > Recorder > Recorder Storage

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:59 pm

Anyone installed the most recent (January) updates? Manual security only or all/automated including feature updates?

Outcome?

Any special steps needed before or after updates to keep wmc working?

Thanks

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:16 pm

All my live PCs are on automatic updating and are working with the latest updates (18363.592).

I've got a couple of test PCs on insider builds and since build 18958 I've had to use fix_mssqllite in addition to the other add-ons but they are currently on V2004 and working fine.

As far as special steps goes, it depends which version you are on. 1809 to 1903 was a remove and reinstall of WMC and 1903 to 1909 wasn't but I presume that 2004 will be.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:33 pm

Hello Technodevotee
im new and just started trying to load wmc onto latest ver of win 10 64 bit (1909) (build 1863.592). im using a Hauppauge wintv-dcr-2650 spectrum cable card which worked fine on wnidows 7. both ver of wmc v8.8.4 then ver v13-x64 do not see the tuner. my system is 64 bit and i did get the hauppauge win tv driver upgrade for win 10 before i tried loading wmc. i will continue to search for a solution but thought you might save me some time with any helpful advice. ive read posts on cable cards just not mine . thanks for any advice. clubmaker

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:47 pm

In short, WMC V13 will not work with current Windows 10 versions IF YOU ARE USING A CABLE CARD. You have 3 options: roll back to Windows 10-Build 1511, use with Windows 7, or use with Windows 8.1. And you should plan on using a dedicated computer just for using WMC.
See this thread
viewtopic.php?f=97&t=12776

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:53 pm

I would turn that statement on its head. Cable cards do not work in WMC on Windows 10 after Version 1511. The cause is the changes made to the DRM mechanism in Windows and nothing to do with WMC (which is most definitely unsupported on Windows 10).

Someone in another thread said they hope that the problem will be resolved but the simple fact is that cable companies don't want third parties working around the system that protects their revenue stream and doing so would likely be a violation of user agreements.

People have tried and failed. There is little hope that it will ever happen.

Burger23

Post by Burger23 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:56 pm

Oh, no. I am so sorry technodevotee. I never intended to infer that WMC was creating problems in Windows 10. It is absolutely the other way around. Windows 7 and 8.1 support WMC- and Windows 10 does not support WMC. From reading posts in this, and other threads, it seems to me that people can get confused with WMC working with some systems- and not with others. If you have use a cable card, then WMC simply will not work after Build 1511. But if you use other means to get your signal, then there are many cases where WMC used with the WMC V13 software that you developed, will enable people to continue using Windows Media Center with current WIndows 10.

Your undoubtedly countless hours of work on WMC 13 has allowed many, many people to have Windows 10 and to continue to use WMC. This whole community is deeply indebted to your hard work. Thank you.

clubmaker

Post by clubmaker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:29 am

thank you both for the quick reply. just knowing that cable cards are an issue with win 10 saves me from serching the web for answers. i now know i have 3 choices go with windows 10 build 1511 with updates turned off or go with win 8.1 with updates left on ? (not sure) or continue with win 7. do either of you see any advantage or disadvantages with win 8.1 vs win 10 vs win 7 ? . thanks again i really appreciate your inputs.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:17 am

I would summarise the situation thus:

In Windows 7, WMC is fully functional except for downloading MS guide and media meta data. Windows 7 is unsupported so no further security updates are available and a lot of modern software including Third Party software doesn't support it so having it connected to the web can be problematic.

In Windows 8 and 8.1, WMC works except for downloading MS guide and media meta data. Microsoft also killed off Third Party extenders such as the Ceton Echo. Windows 8.1 is supported for now it but a lot of modern software including Third Party software doesn't work.

In Windows 10, Microsoft killed of WMC all together and forcibly remove or disable it. Although WMC can be got working, cable cards and extenders don't work any more and it can't download MS guide or media meta data. Microsoft designated Windows 10 'Windows as a service' and install updates whether you want them or not.

There are ways round some of these things but they can all be pretty high maintenance.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:24 am

Burger23 wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:56 pm Oh, no. I am so sorry technodevotee. I never intended to infer that WMC was creating problems in Windows 10. It is absolutely the other way around. Windows 7 and 8.1 support WMC- and Windows 10 does not support WMC. From reading posts in this, and other threads, it seems to me that people can get confused with WMC working with some systems- and not with others. If you have use a cable card, then WMC simply will not work after Build 1511. But if you use other means to get your signal, then there are many cases where WMC used with the WMC V13 software that you developed, will enable people to continue using Windows Media Center with current WIndows 10.

Your undoubtedly countless hours of work on WMC 13 has allowed many, many people to have Windows 10 and to continue to use WMC. This whole community is deeply indebted to your hard work. Thank you.
No offence taken - it is purely semantics.

The point is that Windows Media Center was part of Windows and relied heavily on certain Windows subsystems to function. While Microsoft supported Media Center they were careful to ensure that changes made to Windows didn't break Media Center but since they stopped supporting it and actively remove it from Windows 10, they don't have to worry about changes to Windows breaking it anymore.

I should also point out that my efforts rely on the brilliant work done by others in the community. All I have done is to make some of the work-arounds they have come up with easier to deploy.