How can I remove ModernMedia UI+ evaluation ?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
jonwz

HTPC Specs: Show details

How can I remove ModernMedia UI+ evaluation ?

Post by jonwz » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:15 pm

Hi, somehow my Win7-64 bit system ended up in "no-man land" Some of MM UI+ is installed (enough to change the look, cause crashes and plaster the evaluation logo on the 7MC screen. But their is no program or GUI for me to select.

I can't find any way to uninstall. I tried removing/reinstalling Media center, tried my oldest restore point. Nothing.

When I try to install it again I get error 5 access is denied, and I've tried several suggested fixes.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:25 pm

You could try searching for a file called ehres.dll. this is the file wmc uses for it's look and feel. MMUI just swaps a modified version of this into the ehome folder. If you find this file in ehome, and somewhere else then the other location is likely where MMUI stores the original file. Try putting the old one back if that makes sense. If your not sure about doing this then ask questions.

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:30 am

Thanks for the reply!

I've found two instances of ehres.dll from a cmd window - same size and date. One in "ehome", the other in "windows\winsxs...." but I also find a file called ehres.dll.mui, older and larger. Is it worth trying to copy ehres.dll.mui into ehome (as ehres.dll)? Or should I try copying the ...winsxs... ehres.dll into ehome even though they have the same size and date?

Thanks again....

jachin99 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:25 pm You could try searching for a file called ehres.dll. this is the file WMC uses for it's look and feel. MMUI just swaps a modified version of this into the ehome folder. If you find this file in ehome, and somewhere else then the other location is likely where MMUI stores the original file. Try putting the old one back if that makes sense. If your not sure about doing this then ask questions.

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:44 am

So I ignored my concern about the two dll's having the same size and date, copied in the other one to ehome. It now has the old look and feel, but I still have the ModernMedia tramp stamp in the lower right corner of my 7mc window.

Shame on me for not creating a full backup before trying. I really don't want to re-image this system. Any other ideas?

jachin99 wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:25 pm You could try searching for a file called ehres.dll. this is the file WMC uses for it's look and feel. MMUI just swaps a modified version of this into the ehome folder. If you find this file in ehome, and somewhere else then the other location is likely where MMUI stores the original file. Try putting the old one back if that makes sense. If your not sure about doing this then ask questions.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:54 am

The location for that logo might be stored in the registry somewhere. I know there is some documentation on where it might be stored as epg123 puts it's logo in the same spot. I think that spot was designed for oem logos and Sony put a Vaio logo there at one point in time. Look around on the vgxxlproboarda too.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:55 am

Just out of curiosity What did you not like about MMUI?

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:27 am

jachin99 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:55 am Just out of curiosity What did you not like about MMUI?
That must be a joke, I wish I could share your sense of humor.

I think MMUI is a computer virus.

It's an obscenity when you have to reformat and redo a system to remove crappy code from your system.

I'm also guessing that windows 10 is incredably shythole code.

I'm hoping that my browser and email client of choice don't abandon windows 7.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:34 pm

jonwz wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:44 am So I ignored my concern about the two dll's having the same size and date, copied in the other one to ehome. It now has the old look and feel, but I still have the ModernMedia tramp stamp in the lower right corner of my 7mc window.

Shame on me for not creating a full backup before trying. I really don't want to re-image this system. Any other ideas?

Admin prompt... SFC /scannow

If you have a modded theme going this will ALWAYS revert the file so the original theme is there.

This will fix it..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jonwz

Post by jonwz » Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 pm

Update: just had to retry after a reboot and the scan completed. But it didn't remove the ModernMedia stamp.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jan 12, 2020 4:57 pm

jonwz wrote: Sat Jan 11, 2020 2:16 pm Update: just had to retry after a reboot and the scan completed. But it didn't remove the ModernMedia stamp.
I'd talk to the DEV, he might of put something in a startup group or a service. I never installed it myself YET (my system was 100% stable, so didn't want to break it).

Disabling a service, or deleting it from starting should help

They didn't add a program to remove in add remove programs ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012