EPG123 Bug Reports

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
bw1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by bw1 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:53 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:35 pm Okay. If you want to wait until tomorrow, that is fine. If you want to know now, the open EPG123 and click the [Save & Execute] button. When it gets done and imports, we should see everything updated.
I updated to the latest version of epg123 and ran the Execute and now I have updated listings (along with a green EPG icon which I haven't seen before) and Mom is no longer scheduled to record on Monday 1/6. The ones starting on Monday 1/13 still show generic listings so assuming those will get updated before recording, everything looks OK now.

lovitzg

Post by lovitzg » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:21 pm

garyan2 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:50 pm Have you ever used MCE Reset Toolbox in the past? It does a bad thing and makes it so the guide tweaks won't work, I think the same will happen with MCL XL.
I have never used MCE Reset Toolbox. However, I did get the same problem as suggested with MCL XL. I got all the MCL XL logos but none of the extras other then the Chan Num / Logo box width did anything. That was also the case for your guide tweaks. I then

If I want to reset try the reset posted above by turning off Windows Media Center from Windows features, reboot, and add it back. Can I get back to where I was with scheduled programs, channel lineup, etc. simply by rerunning WMC setup through EPG123 and restoring from an EPG123 backup done just prior to Media Center removal?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:38 pm

You won't have to rerun anything... just try to add the tweaks again. Removing WMC doesn't remove the ehome folder with the database, so when you add it back nothing will have changed.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

lovitzg

Post by lovitzg » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:08 am

garyan2 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:38 pm You won't have to rerun anything... just try to add the tweaks again. Removing WMC doesn't remove the ehome folder with the database, so when you add it back nothing will have changed.
Thanks Gary, worked fine! Tweaks are now working.

Slugbait

Post by Slugbait » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:03 am

I'm stuck at "Downloading TV Setup Data" of WMC.

Running Win7 with a Hauppauge 2255 connected to a rooftop antenna, downloaded and installed EPG123 about two hours ago. Signed into Configuration with a newly-created Schedules Direct account, and the terrestrial channels appeared. Followed the instructions beginning at http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/step1/, moved to /step2/ page, and after clicking the OK button at step 4, I'm taken to "Downloading TV Setup Data"...it doesn't go any further than the first dot of the progress bar, it never continues.

Thinking there was a missing step, I clicked Back button in WMC, then went back to the EPG123 Configuration window again and checked the boxes for the channels (only the ones I would want), clicked Save & Execute button, and went back to the WMC window to try again...still only reached the first dot of the progress bar on the "Downloading TV Setup Data".

So I tried it again from step 4 on page /step2/ and no good. Clicked the Cancel button out of setup and started fresh from "Live TV Setup" on the main WMC screen...still no good. The progress bar never gets beyond the first dot on the "Downloading TV Setup Data".

Any ideas?

Space

Post by Space » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:05 am

Slugbait

Post by Slugbait » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:55 am

Thanks, Space. Tried Joel's steps, and variations thereof, about 14 times with no joy. I'm currently dropping a system image I created before starting this evening so I can get my tuners back and do manual records of tomorrow's playoff games. I'll give the workaround instructions another go tomorrow night and leave the machine running for 20 hours to see if the machine ever times out with "no network available" and allows me to continue. Currently disappointed, frustrated and a bit tired...

Slugbait

Post by Slugbait » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:49 am

Tried several variations of the workarounds over the last two days (not worth going into it...) and then did a google search and found the answer: mcupdate.exe wasn't running. Here's what worked for me:

1. Right click the desktop->New->Shortcut
2. In the "Type the location of the item:" field, enter C:\windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -manual -nogc -p
3. Click Next
4. Enter any name for the shortcut and save
5. Run the EPG123 setup flow starting from http://epg123.garyan2.net/install/step1/
6. When you get to the "Downloading TV Setup Data" screen, double-click that shortcut

WMC will immediately proceed to "Examining TV signals" screen. Then complete the EPG123 instructions, and the guide is resurrected in WMC. No need to change the zip code, no need to disconnect or disable the NIC, etc.

Note: I'm using OTA. Unknown if this will work for CableCard tuners or whatever.

I needa beer...kudos to azmath76 up at TechNet.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:21 pm

Gary, sorry to report - the "closing and restarting windows when scrolling through a channel" bug is back as of this morning. But weirdly, I can't replicate it for any channel but TCM.

Worked fine for the last few days after the new update. Hope this can be fixed; I'd hate for it to happen while taping something.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:13 pm

I had the problem and installed 1.3.5 and so far on the one machine I've rebuilt the data base on it seems to be working. I also had it only on TCM. Just where does it go out on the single channel view? I just scrolled down to Jan 15 without an error. In the past I had the issue on Saturday morning after the 5AM cartoon (or whatever you time is there) and the various short subjects. At first I thought there was an issue with a title in the guide with a bad character since it first occurred with a foreign language picture with an ä but apparently that wasn't the issue.

Still checking but for me so far it seems to be working.

John

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:32 pm

> I had the problem and installed 1.3.5 and so far...

That's rhe problem. I also installed 1.3.5 the day it came out, and everything worked fine after that. Until this morning. That's my my earlier post said the bug is *back.*

I did note thst for me, anyway, it's only happening when I try to scroll one particular channel: Turner Classic Movies. All the other channels are fine. OTOH - that was how the bug manifested itself for me before I installed the update.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:59 pm

I've just finished several client machines with data base rebuilds and one other server with a DB rebuild--that one failed on the first attempt and I went back and did it a second time and it worked.

The reason I asked about where you were in the TCM schedule is I would get through it a ways and then it would crash. I have a test title for you, on Saturday morning right after the MGM cartoon "Tale of the Vienna Wood" there is a listing for "Bravest of the Brave" which has no picture associated with the listing. Before I did the data base rebuild the machines would all crash and restart when I hit that entry. After the data base rebuild it didn't happen.

If you crash there (BTW if you use the arrow keys you'll jump one full listing page with each hit and get from Wed to Sat quickly), then I would go to the client and do a data base rebuild. If you have a lot of recordings it takes time since MC has to rebuild all the recorded tv shows, etc. Make sure you don't get an error "could not delete the data base". Maybe something went wrong with the install update and you just didn't hit a listing without a picture associated with it. But at least this entry will test that and if you still have other problems then there might be another bug.

BTW if MC crashes and you're recording that shouldn't impact the recording since you're only crashing the shell watch your recording light in the notification area and if it goes out and comes back then you've got a gap in the recording and it'll be listed as a partial in the history page.

SugarFree

Post by SugarFree » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:36 pm

Did the Save and Execute/Rebuild yesterday. Just went to the Saturday TCM movie you mentioned and clicked on it (don't see any thumbnail otherwise) and saw what you meant by 'no picture' - and did not crash.

But the interesting thing about the previous 2 crashes, is that I had literally no chance to scroll through. Just put my cursor at the top of the list and - boom - the crash. So... this might mean that if there was a movie later in the day with no picture, I didn't need to actually get to it. Just it being in the list was sufficient to crash the player. But - if I scrolled through horizonally - no problem. Odd.

shpitz461

Post by shpitz461 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi Gary, saw that you replied to my issue in the 1.3.4 release thread, but now I see a similar issue where SD/Zap2It show the proper name for the show but the guide still shows an older version of the show name.

wmcguide.png
What I did to refresh is:
1. Run epg123 and click Save & Execute
epg123.png
2. Run epg123Client and click Rebuild WMC Database
epg123client.png
The show in guide remains not updated.

shpitz461

Post by shpitz461 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:17 pm

I did switch 11.11 (uhf) and 11.1 (vhf) for a better signal, in both epg123 and WMC.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:06 pm

I just downloaded those channels and see the same thing. It is in the data from Schedules Direct. I suggest submitting a ticket with them to get it fixed.
- Gary

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:04 pm

To add to the above... I just checked my lineup and I see the same thing on my local channel. I'm thinking SD is going to have to 'kick' a server... it has stale data.
- Gary

shpitz461

Post by shpitz461 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:17 pm

Thanks Gary, I just submitted a report to SD, let's see what they say.

shpitz461

Post by shpitz461 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 11:29 am

Fixed by SD!

Got the following reply:
The servers have been updated, which should now be reflected in your application.

If your issue was with the schedule for a channel, then please have your application refresh its listings to pull the new data.

If your issue was with the channels in a lineup:

- if you are using the XML service then edit your lineup at the Schedules Direct web site to enable the new channels. Once you’ve done that, refresh the lineup in your application.

- if you are using the JSON service, then refresh the lineup in your application to get the update.

If everything is correct after you follow the above procedure, then you do not need to respond to this message.
I did a save & execute, then rebuild wmc db, now the guide is fixed.

Thanks Gary!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:19 pm

That's good. I haven't checked mine yet. For future reference... no need to do a rebuild. A [Save & Ececute] is more than enough. The scheduled task would take care of it.
- Gary