WMC on Windows 10 seems to freeze the system on wakeup

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
caliskier

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC on Windows 10 seems to freeze the system on wakeup

Post by caliskier » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:12 pm

Hi,

I appreciate what your site has done to continue with WMC in windows 10.
Setup:

I have 64 bit windows 10 build 1909 and your WMC version 8.8.4.
My HTPC is hooked up directly to my livingroom TV and is woken up by using my universal remote that wakes up the HTPC, turns on the TV etc. all at the same time.

I am having an issue where when I wake it up I get a black screen and have to restart the system to use it. Otherwise it works just fine, no issues that I have found yet. Anyone know what might cause this issue?

Space

Post by Space » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:18 pm

Sounds like a graphics driver issue or a BIOS issue to me. Are both of these things up to date?

I don't run WMC on Windows 10 (I use Win7), so there might be other causes that I don't know about. But I do see a black screen on Win7 WMC when I come out of sleep sometimes, but I do also see the pointer on the black screen and eventually (less than a minute) the regular screen shows up without having to do anything special.

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:07 pm

I’m getting a black screen with no pointer. I can do ctrl+alt+del and get to the screen where you can select task manager but task manager does not start. The only thing I can do from that screen is restart.

I had a freezing issue on win 7 on this machine before, but it was rare, and I did have the pointer and could get to task manager to force quit. I just upgraded the system to 10 3 days ago

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:24 pm

This sounds like a handshaking or driver issue to me as well. The other thing to try is disabling fast start up.

1909 seems a lot more flaky when coming out of sleep than previous versions on the exact same hardware. I have a Sony Smart TV connected to my Living Room PC via an Onkyo A/V Amp (HDMI all the way) and often times there's either no sound or no picture when I wake the system but it is fine booting up from cold or when rebooted.

Other people have also reported experiencing similar issues.

caliskier

Post by caliskier » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:15 am

Yeah, its not doing it every time. Like we just got home, woke it up and its running.

How does one disable fast start up, and what is it used for?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:23 am

This is quite a good explanation: https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pr ... rtup-mode/

On the surface of it, it appears that it doesn't affect sleep but if something doesn't load properly when the system is booted with fast start enabled, then it seems logical to me that could cause other problems when waking the PC.

I've had all sorts of intermittent problems that have been resolved by disabling fast start and always turn it off now.

As a previous poster said it could also be a setting in the BIOS because I have one PC that wouldn't wake properly (similar to the problem you describe) and I found an option in the BIOS to Re-POST the Graphics Card on wake from sleep. It worked fine once I turned that option on.