InfiniTV 6 Ethernet on Spectrum?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
DSperber

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DSperber » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:36 pm

d00zah wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:07 pmMost router FWs that support static assignments stipulate the IPs be outside the normal DHCP range. It appears that MAY have been your issue.
No, you can do a "reserve" for any IP address that's either (a) not currently in use, or (b) currently in use by the device you want to assign it to. The low/high range for DHCP dynamic assignments limits what the router can assign, but address reservation if not prevented from gobbling up any one or more of those addresses within the DHCP range. They will simply be "reserved" for a known MAC address/device, and not dynamically given out to some other device even though they are inside of the specified low/high DHCP range.
That said, it's a wise approach I've employed (with a permanent lease) on my network for years, as it's easier to recover a device already configured to get its IP via DHCP. The default '192.168.200.2' is intended, IIRC, as a fail-safe when nothing else works.
I don't follow what you're saying. 192.168.200.1 is the IP address of the ETH tuner or PCIe card, and the address you'd place in the URL address of a browser in order to "talk to the card". The tuners have their own address which is 192.168.200.2 (for all 4/6 of them, somehow), which is shown on the "tuner" tab for each of the tuners. In my understanding, the "card" is like a "router for the tuners".

These addresses have nothing to do with the real LAN network router, e.g. my 192.168.1.1, as well as all the rest of network devices connected wired or wireless and which get an IP address of 192.168.2-254, either via DHCP or manual static IP reservation/assignment.
If the network config is in question, the Ceton Diags tool has a 'Reset Network' radio button on the 'Devices' tab to set everything back to factory defaults. I'm undecided on whether it'd have any bearing on the problem, but in the absence of alternatives, WTF? Just reboot the ETH6 after the reset.
Reasonable idea. Why not give it a try? The drivers should be able to figure it all out.

mls001

Post by mls001 » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:04 pm

Sorry my explanation of the dedicated network configuration wasn’t clearer.

I followed your recommendation and reset the ETH-6 to use DHCP instead of the special static IP address. This pretty much matches your configuration, although I didn’t bother to reserve a specific IP address for the tuner.

Via the Network Settings (under Systems) I clicked DHCP Client and Set Network. The Static IP is now greyed out. After this I:

• Power cycled both the ETH-6 and the associated DTA
• Reset Network Settings
• Power cycled both the ETH-6 and the associated DTA (per your suggestion)
• Discover Tuners
• Restart HTPC (Power down/up)

You can see from the display below that the ETH-6 tuner is using a different IP address than before. This IP address is on the same subnet as the HTPC. Here’s a print of the Network Settings screen (after the above actions have been completed).

After all of this, I still have the same problem with the Waiting for Channel Map and the log showing the length errors while attempting to process the channel map.

Truthfully, I don’t think that the ethernet network could have any bearing on the channel map being corrupted. It’s my understanding that the channel map is sent across the coax by Spectrum directly to the tuner. I could be wrong, but I don’t believe that the HTPC itself does any processing of the channel map. I think that’s all outboard and contained in the tuner/cable card/DTA environment.

Unless you have some other idea, I think the next step would be for me to compare my logs, line-by-line, with a log from a working ETH-6.

Would you be willing to post the first 45 seconds of your log after you next reboot your ETH-6?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:31 am

20190902_002708.jpg
have you tried this reset

DSperber

Post by DSperber » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:09 pm

mls001 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:04 pmUnless you have some other idea, I think the next step would be for me to compare my logs, line-by-line, with a log from a working ETH-6.

Would you be willing to post the first 45 seconds of your log after you next reboot your ETH-6?
I have no problem providing a portion of my log after duplicating the steps you enumerated.

Tell me again WHERE the log is and what its file name is?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 pm

mls001 wrote: Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:04 pm Would you be willing to post the first 45 seconds of your log after you next reboot your ETH-6?
Eth6BootLog.zip
(7.7 KiB) Downloaded 286 times

mls001

Post by mls001 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:24 pm

Well, I compared your log with the information in my log and about the only conclusion that I could come up with is that your ETH-6 logs a little slower than mine. On my system, the errors begin showing up consistently at between 35-37 seconds into the log. By 45 seconds into my logs there have been dozens of attempts to decode the channel map and the messages are all repetitive. On your log, though, the tuner hadn't gotten around trying to decode the channel map. Looking earlier, though, I was not able to identify any major differences in the message flow. The few odd messages that I was wondering about in my logs are also found in the log that you supplied, so that's not the problem.

I wish I'd be able to identify something wrong, but there wasn't anything that would lead me to an ah ha moment.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:00 am

I can provide a log that's 1.5 days old if you think looking deeper is worthwhile?

I was thinking about how the tuner gets it's channel map & wondered how your Eth6/TA are connected to the coax. Cascaded, or using a splitter per Spectrum setup guide? Besides being prone to lock-ups (hence the instruction to split), the coax output of the TA is amplified & an already 'hot' signal might distort w/ further amplification? Random thought.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 pm

I am.

madhatman

Post by madhatman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:52 pm

Hey,

I too am in Spectrum-SoCal. I also have the same issue with ETH 6 "waiting for channel map". I have swapped cable cards & tuning adapters and can not fix. The same tuning adapter when connected to the pc directly with a pcie 4 sees the channel map with 693 channels. When you use it directly plugged into the eth 6 ...TR status remains waiting for channel map & never becomes ready. Makes no difference how many power cycles of TA , Tuner or PC.

What is interesting is that most SDV channels tune including encrypted channels including 49 (MSNBC), 46 (CNN) but channel unencryoted 89 (Hallmark Movies & Mysteries) will not. The web diagnostic shows as -36db signal strength & inside of MCE it reports back as No TV Signal. I also have same issue with 65 (Disney). Most every other channel will tune. I have had Techician out here twice to test signal lines & swap equipment & have been on phone numerous times with Cable care support for provisioning and can never get the TA with Eth 6 to get the channel map. The same TA works with zero issue with pcie 4 & usb 4 but just upgraded to win 8.1 (3 more years of support) so can't use the usb 4 anymore & 4 tuner pcie is not enough tuners to handle local prime time (abc, nbc, CBS, cbs & fox ) OTA is not an option for locals & Spectrum/ TWC killed of clearqam years ago !

So forced into MCE with Cable Card Tuners with SDV.

I have little doubts, I will ever get the Ceton ETH 6 to correctly see the channel map with connected TA. So for those channels that I know won't resolve 89 & 65, I have removed the eth 6 as a source and edited the channels so they will only use the pcie 4 as a source. Hopefully the other channels wont stop working in the future.

I would consider getting the HDHome run prime 6 but that has been delayed forever & according to message from SD CEO ...dont expect it coming any time soon.

Please let know if you ever got your TA connected to ETH6 to get a channel map & what you did to fix it. Thanks

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:09 pm

FWIW... try rebooting the ETH 6 (leave TA powered). My experience is that sometimes the TA status isn't correctly reflected until the tuner refreshes its pages once the TA has finished initialization.

madhatman

Post by madhatman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:04 pm

Makes no difference if I power cycle eth 6, TA or PC. The eth 6 web diagnostics always reports the TA is waiting for channel map with 0 channels. Most channels will tune & authenticate except for a couple that report back with. Very low signal strength such as -36db in diagnostic under each of the 6 tuners & mce wont resolve those channels & blue screen comes up as no signal !

Btw, how do we know who is responding. The posts don't indicate the user posting? Are you the person that had his eth 6 getting the map or are you the person with the same issue from August 2019?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:10 pm

I'm not the OP, but I DO have Spectrum (east coast), using an ETH 6 & my TA gets channel maps just fine, although sometimes I see the status you describe until I do a tuner reboot (rather than a page refresh). THEN I see the correct TA status.

TAStatus (Small).jpg

Some notes:

- Running last available Beta FW image... 'ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_15_1_13_152.IMAGE'.

- Connected via splitter w/ one tap to ETH 6, one to TA. Using TA output tap to drive tuner had longtime 'lock-up' issues w/ some TAs.

- Ceton says signal S/B (optimally) +7/-7 dB, but +10/-10 dB works. -36dB would definitely present a problem.

madhatman

Post by madhatman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:07 pm

My Firmware is fw_14_10_03_163.image.

So you definitely have newer firmware. I have never seen a prompt from diagnostic app to update firmware. Nor does it prompt there is a newer

How did you get your firmware update?

Thanks

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:19 pm

Last link in the 1st post:

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=8352&hilit=ceton_i ... AGE#p84506

It was the final beta issued by Ceton & comes with a couple of bugs. You should read the whole thread to understand what it fixes, as well as the new 'features' (i.e. slow memory leak, needs reboot every ~30 days).

But it fixes a CC deadlock condition by rebooting the CC instead of locking. It manifests as ~30 seconds of 'No signal' ('Subscription required'?) before recovering. Overall, it's good, but read...

Apply via web UI.

Also using 'ceton_infinitv_setup_w7_sp1_13_06_03_1088' driver pkg, which IIRC was latest/greatest from support site.

madhatman

Post by madhatman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:10 pm

I am now on win 8.1 as of last week. Gave up both usb 4 & echo for trade off of 3 more years of official msft support

Also you said you are Spectrum -East Coast. Are you on Cisco or Motorola Headend ?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:36 pm

madhatman wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:10 pm I am now on win 8.1 as of last week. Gave up both usb 4 & echo for trade off of 3 more years of official msft support
My take is that's meaningless. Aside from security updates, WMC hasn't been touched in years & that's the soul purpose of my WMC machine. No other option compares. YMMV

madhatman wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:10 pm Also you said you are Spectrum -East Coast. Are you on Cisco or Motorola Headend ?
Cisco (Scientific-Atlanta)

Note: I re-read that thread & several things jump out...

- I've been using that FW for 5 years (phew) & it's been good.

- It seems to allow FW updates to CCs/TAs that older tuner FWs didn't, so that could help?

- An awful lot of the people tried it & reverted for reasons that IMO had nothing to do with the FW.

Ceton's gone, but I intend to run my ETH 6/Win7/Echo setup into the ground.

madhatman

Post by madhatman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:49 pm

I have xbox 360s so ...that takes care of my extender needs. Have never played a game & will never upgrade to xbox one. I hate Microsoft...they builly the best DVR ecosystem ever & then tried to slowly kill it off along with its partners like Ceton ! They lame excuse that nooone used MCE anymore other than to play DVDs is comical. All the streaming options suck : not a single one Carrie's the #1 Local KTLA CW . Tribune wont sign a carrier deal with any OTP services..they have all raised their rates to about $50/mo and hulu & YouTube tv both are missing many channels which requires another $20 for Philo ! So $70 /mo for streaming tv requiring two services with no Internet . I am currently paying $80 for both TV select & Internet 400 plus $12 broadcast fee & $2 for cable cards & now $25 year for SD & donation to Gary for EPG123.

I too will run MCE to the ground as long as I have cable...because other than Tivo no other DVR can play back WDRM! Those MSFT Executives could at least Open Source MCE or at least the DRM to companies like SliconDust or Ceton.

I keep my pc connected to internet for ceton my media center , epg123 guide data, amazon prime, netflix,emby etc

So upgrading to Win 8.1 is safer option. Only trade off was giving up USB 4 & echo. Which I thought would be no big loss, but the Eth 6 is giving SDV issues those 2 channels by not seeing the channel map.

BTW out here in SOCAL we are on Motorala , so not sure if flashing the hardware fix the issue being that its main purpose was to address Cisco issues.

I was hoping the OP would chime in here and let me know what their current status is. They too are here in Socal on Motorala headend! Did they ever get the issue fixed & if so how ?

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:08 pm

I've tolerated MS since DOS, Win 3.1, 3.1.1, NT 3.1, etc, etc... I stopped @ Win 7, for WMC. Am unimpressed w/ 10. Fortunately, my hobbies & career have me familiar w/ 'nix opyions, so aside from an occasional VM for 'can't live without' apps, me & MS are probably done for future deployment. No love lost.

Hope this FW sorts some of your issues. As I said, it's been 5 yrs for me & my complaints are few... but I DO wish they'd resolved some of the (minor) bugs before going TU.

madhatman

Post by madhatman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:11 pm

I am now at the point where the eth 6 is not working at all in MCE. It will not tune to any channel whether it be local, copy freely or copy once channels. If you try to tune to a channel you will get a message that there is no signal available...and if you schedule a recording it will keep failing until it locates an available pcie tuner and then it will record. What is interesting is if I go to edit channels and chose available sources, for each channel the 4 pcie tuners are at the top, so they should theoretically have top priority, but they do not. MCE almost always randomly chooses an ethernet tuner first. I have gone in and unchecked all 6 ethernet tuners for my must have channels that I would tune to live tv. What is strange is that as yesterday the eth 6 would tune to almost everything other than 89 (HMM) & 65 (Disney) & now it wont even tune to a local broadcast (which I would think would be unswitched & not dependent on need of TA.

But I get Spectrum must now being using SDV for everything including locals!

What is strange is that in both the web & gui diagnostics when I test a channel sometimes it succeeds in the gui & some times it does not, but other than 89 & 65 they always succeed in the web diagnostics but still fail in MCE.

I give up ! I guess I'll flash the firmware ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_15_1_13_152.IMAGE.

At this point I have nothing to lose ! Ready to toss it anyways!

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:17 pm

Out of curiosity, what signal levels are displayed for that tuner in the Ceton webUI when you DO successfully tune a station?

Note: On the rare occasions when my tuner acts up, it usually follows an MS update (now a thing of the past), typically a .NET update. Backing it out has helped & they typically get it right next time. In the absence of that, a simple re-application of the driver package ('change', rather than 'repair' IIRC) & a reboot usually sets things straight. YMMV