EPG123 failed install on two machines

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
cadprofessor

HTPC Specs: Show details

EPG123 failed install on two machines

Post by cadprofessor » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:17 pm

Greetings, Happy New Year.

I know you are swamped with questions. I have been running WMC with homerun prime for many years. Downloaded your latest version of your software to give it a try. Went and paid for two month epg service. I have two computers that use WMC. I installed the server side on my WHS2011 and shared the epg123 folders and the set up clients on the two other machines. Machine #1: Windows 7 32bit Pro. Besides using the 3 Homerun tuners I have an ATI dual tuner. Analog and QAM tuner. I thought I followed the steps layout in the guide. I ended up with over 10,000 stations in the left channel window (which I read was normal). The right side was populated with my imported channels. I was never able to get any channels to appear in the WMC guide. I retried the setup only picking the 3 homerun tuneers. Completed the tuner scan and populated the left pane with 9999 channels. Did a manual import these channels appear in the right pane. Do I have to move each channel from the right pane to the left? Confused.....

This morning I thought I would try Machine #2. Windows 7 64bit Pro. This machine uses the three homerun tuners. Went through the steps except I get an error message in WMC in tv setup "tv setup has encountered a serious problem select finish to exit." I have tried this twice and each time I receive the same error message. When I close WCM I get a Tuner limit increase failed message from EPG123. This machine I only am using the 3 homerun tuners. It never makes it to step 3.The WMC never completes setting up the HomeRun tuners.

Hoping to get some assistance when someone has the time. Thank you so much......
Last edited by cadprofessor on Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xcetera

Post by xcetera » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:41 pm

I am having the same problem regarding getting channels to appear in the WMC Guide. Any one out there with ideas?

mustpushbuttons

Post by mustpushbuttons » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:58 pm

tuner increase message indicates if 4 or less tuners ok to ignore. just a message. nothing more.

regarding "happy new year - failed installations", try this quick fix:

1. get some ronson lighter fluid - douse machine
2. light on fire
3. let embers burn until almost out
4. pee on it
5. reboot

report back w/ results

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 5:23 pm

Let's start with the client:

Your channels are most likely not being seen because they do not have any guide listings assigned to them.

Key Pointers:
If you have EPG123 lineups in the right side pull-down, then you have successfully imported the guide listings into the database
If you lineups other than EPG123, then you did not deny the Program Guide Terms of Service during Step 2 WMC TV Setup
If you have channels listed on the left side, then you have probably performed Step 2 WMC TV Setup
If the Subscribed Lineup column on the left side is empty for a given channel, that channel does not have guide listings assigned to it

For simple setups, to get guide listings assigned to all the channels, you would just select your lineup on the right side and click the Match by: [# Number] button. For a little more complicated, you can filter the left side by the Scanned Source in the pull-down, select the appropriate lineup on the right, and then click the Match by: [# Number] button.

So the question is for both, what does the client look like?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

cadprofessor

Post by cadprofessor » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did do one thing that stopped the tv error. I went back to 1.30 on machine two. Also temp located the mxf file in my local temp folder. Just make sure my permissions were not an issue.

My left pane has 9999 stations and the right pane has the cable listings.
Attachments
2020-01-01 13_54_24-EPG123 Client Guide Tool.jpg

cadprofessor

Post by cadprofessor » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:08 pm

Machine #2 is working now. Thanks so much. Now I need to figure out about Machine #1 with the 5 tuners. I looked at the backup I kept for Machine #1 and I saw that it used a channel listing I did not see at schedule direct ( or I missed it) Chattanooga OTA Antenna ID # 309582193. Then there is the analog stations 2-80 something.

Attachments
2020-01-01 14_05_40-EPG123 Client Guide Tool.jpg

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:30 pm

So Machine #1.

The CableCard tuners and the ClearQAM tuners just need your cable provider lineup.
The OTA and Analog tuners just need you OTA lineup of your zipcode

Select the pulldown the says "All Scanned Sources", select your CableCARD lineup. On the right pulldown, select your cable lineup. Click the Match by: [# Number] button

Select the scanned sources pulldown again and select your ATSC tuners. On the right pulldown, select your OTA lineup. Click the Match by: [# Number] button
Select the scanned sources pulldown again and select your analog tuners. Click the Match by: [# Number] button

For ClearQAM, you're kinda on your own to find out what guide listings should be assigned to what tuner channel. Some description an the manual method is here. http://epg123.garyan2.net/tools/#channelMapping
- Gary

cadprofessor

Post by cadprofessor » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Thanks for the help. After trying several times last night I am giving up on my other two tuners. Analog and clear QAM. Each time I would include them in the install process the epg123 client would tell me that there were no tuners selected.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:26 pm

I don't know what you mean by "no tuners selected". There is no reason for this to not work, but many reasons why it can make you think it did not work.
- Gary

cadprofessor

Post by cadprofessor » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:42 pm

garyan2 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:26 pm I don't know what you mean by "no tuners selected". There is no reason for this to not work, but many reasons why it can make you think it did not work.
Amen to that. It has been 12 hours since I tried this but, epg123 or WMC puts up the no tuners selected message after it finishes step number two. I think the manual import button was grayed out as well. It did not do this when I manually selected only the 3 homerun tuners. Also remember the message about two many tuners did not stick. The problem on mine end is this computer is getting old (like me) and slow (also like me) and it takes awhile to complete the setup task. :D

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:53 pm

Yah, patience may be the key here then. I am finding that the "tuner limit increase did not stick" message is not always accurate, so don't need to get too excited on that one. Refusing to import because there are no tuners setup is a problem. With so may different tuners in your setup, when it is doing the tuner scanning, just let it sit. It will tell you it is 100% complete, and let you click the [Next] button, but if you watch carefully the channel count keeps going up. Just let it keep increasing that count until it really, truly stops. Your channel count should be 9999 cablecard + XX analog + XX OTA + XX QAM. During this time it is still building the database and exiting out back to EPG123 may be causing the problem.
- Gary

cadprofessor

Post by cadprofessor » Thu Jan 02, 2020 4:58 pm

Machine #2....
When I first set Machine #2 up a couple of days ago I only picked those cable stations that I pay for 100-314. Then I remember about twice a year they (HBO ShowTime Starz) have free weeks or weekends. So I added those stations to my digital lineup. I updated the epg123.mxf file and did a manual import. The stations appear in the right hand side but I am unable (like you said I don't know how) to get them be displayed on the left pane. I was able to use the subscribe button but I was hoping for an easier way. See image below. Thanks again.

Attachments
2020-01-02 11_50_21-EPG123 Client Guide Tool.jpg

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:09 pm

Disable the option to see only enabled channels... you should then see all 9999 channels on the left side. The click the Match by: [# Number]. Done.

The Match by: [# Number] does the matching based on the channel number of what is viewable on both sides of the form. If you have the left side filtered to show enabled channels only, then the empty HBO channels will not be displayed and therefor not included in the matching routine.
- Gary

cadprofessor

Post by cadprofessor » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:13 pm

Worked like a charm. That must have been the only combo I did not try. Thanks again for your help.