WMC-V13 for 32 bit and 64 bit Windows 10

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
technodevotee

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by technodevotee » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:09 pm

I think you are misinterpreting settings in Windows as things that WMC "knows about" and WMC is in fact being uninstalled.

Libraries are not unique to WMC, they also exist in Windows. Just because you can set the screen resolution in WMC doesn't mean it is a WMC setting - it is also a Windows setting. There are some WMC add-ons and tweaks which will remain despite uninstalling WMC.

If you have to go through the whole setup when you remove and reinstall WMC then the registry and the ehome folders have been wiped by the uninstaller. I spent weeks creating the install and uninstall scripts for V13 and have installed and uninstalled it dozens of times. WMC V13 has been downloaded 1250 times from my website since September and apart from the person I mentioned who couldn't uninstall WMC V13 (then found out it was actually an antivirus problem), you are the only person who has said they can't uninstall it.

I would recommend installing 8.8.4 to prove that the problem is not with WMC.

mp30036

Post by mp30036 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:35 am

i never said i couldn't uninstall it, and if your coding is so perfect then how come after a reboot i had to wipe the ehome folders manually, thanks for your help anyway.

[Moderator note: name calling removed]

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:30 pm

I never claimed my programming was perfect and if there is an issue with it, I would like to fix it.

So instead of calling me names, why don't you help me do that?

tdinardo

Post by tdinardo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:15 am

I’ve tried your installer on a fresh 10586 install four times (four rebuilds). I'm using a ceton card. I can get the install to succeed, but DRM never works. I always end up with the system files modified error when trying a DRM channel. I've tried both of the play ready installs on your site. I've tried resetting play ready using your script. Nothing fixes DRM. Any ideas on how I can get this working?

Thanks.

Tom
Last edited by tdinardo on Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:36 am

tdinardo wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:15 am I’ve tried your installer on a fresh 10586 install four times (for rebuilds). I'm using a ceton card. I can get the install to succeed, but DRM never works. I always end up with the system files modified error. I've tried both of the play ready installs on your site. I've tried resetting play ready using your script. Nothing fixes DRM. Any ideas on how I can get this working?

Thanks.

Tom
I suggest going from v13 to 8.8.4 usually fixes modified system files message. Sometimes 1 works on a computer but not another, YMMV.

tdinardo

Post by tdinardo » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:37 am

Thanks I'll give that a try.

neilll

Post by neilll » Thu Jan 02, 2020 3:37 pm

Hi,
Can anyone point me to a list of compatible tuners for WMV-V13 if such a thing exists?

Alternatively, will a Hauppauge WinTV-quadHD work with it?
Regards,
Neill

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:04 pm

Yep. I have a Hauppauge WinTV Quad HD working with WMC V13 and V8.8.4.

The only thing you should be aware of however is that I only get stereo sound because there doesn't seem to be a codec that decodes surround from the audio stream in UK HD Terrestrial signals.
Last edited by technodevotee on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:13 pm

MUCH thanks to op and others who either set this up or provided guidance from their experience! I am (so far) very pleasantly surprised by how relatively easily this worked thanks to the hard work of others.

I have been running my main htpc on Win7 w/wmc for years. A few times I did a small amount of research into moving to win10 but in limited reading got the impression that it was unstable, had to run on old versions of win10, and almost guaranteed to break at each update. Each time I ended up deciding it wasn't worth the effort.

I wanted to setup wmc in my bedroom mostly to have a backup htpc in case of catastrophic failure on my main (Win7 htpc). After reading in one of the guide threads that someone had relatively easily installed OP's version of wmc on a current win10 build I decided to give it a shot. All went very well.

Clean install on fully updated win10 pro 64 1909 01/02/2020

PROCESS that worked for me: from techno devotees links in OP (thanks EmmyTheCat from another thread)
1). WMC V13 64bit
2) Replace DLL's (unzip and run from same folder as v13,)
3). Play Ready 64bit install
4). EPG123 install

Haven't done a huge amount with this yet but it seems stable so far.

Now my questions:

I have seen multiple different updates stoppers referenced between here and mydigitalife (stopwinupdates, stop10update, etc) . Is there a particular one people are using successfully?
I plan to manually install security updates periodically after creating a restore point and system image. Any particular source that makes it easy to identify and install only those?

Again, thanks much!
Last edited by prsa01 on Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:32 pm

prsa01 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:13 pm MUCH thanks to op and others who either set this up or provided guidance from their experience! I am (so far) very pleasantly surprised by how relatively easily this worked thanks to the hard work of others.

I have been running my main HTPC on Win7 w/WMC for years. A few times I did a small amount of research into moving to win10 but in limited reading got the impression that it was unstable, had to run on old versions of win10, and almost guaranteed to break at each update. Each time I ended up deciding it wasn't worth the effort.

I wanted to setup WMC in my bedroom mostly to have a backup HTPC in case of catastrophic failure on my main (Win7 HTPC). After reading in one of the guide threads that someone had relatively easily installed OP's version of WMC on a current win10 build I decided to give it a shot. All went very well.

PROCESS that worked for me: from techno devotees links in OP
1). WMV V13 64bit
4). EPG123 install

Now my questions:

I have seen multiple different updates stoppers referenced between here and mydigitalife (stopwinupdates, stop10update, etc) . Is there a particular one people are using successfully?
I plan to manually install security updates periodically after creating a restore point and system image. Any particular source that makes it easy to identify and install only those?

Again, thanks much!
I've used StopUpdates10 on a couple of PCs and it works fine but I wouldn't worry too much about it at the moment because WMC-V13 works fine even on insider build 2004 by using the add-on scripts I supply with the installer.

As always, the upgrades remove the registry settings and services so you need to uninstall and reinstall WMC. There's an extra script to run when you get past build 18958 because Microsoft removed MSSQLLite after that.

prsa01

Post by prsa01 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:38 pm

technodevotee wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:32 pm
prsa01 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:13 pm MUCH thanks to op and others who either set this up or provided guidance from their experience! I am (so far) very pleasantly surprised by how relatively easily this worked thanks to the hard work of others.

I have been running my main HTPC on Win7 w/WMC for years. A few times I did a small amount of research into moving to win10 but in limited reading got the impression that it was unstable, had to run on old versions of win10, and almost guaranteed to break at each update. Each time I ended up deciding it wasn't worth the effort.

I wanted to setup WMC in my bedroom mostly to have a backup HTPC in case of catastrophic failure on my main (Win7 HTPC). After reading in one of the guide threads that someone had relatively easily installed OP's version of WMC on a current win10 build I decided to give it a shot. All went very well.

PROCESS that worked for me: from techno devotees links in OP
1). WMV V13 64bit
4). EPG123 install

Now my questions:

Again, thanks much!
I've used StopUpdates10 on a couple of PCs and it works fine but I wouldn't worry too much about it at the moment because WMC-V13 works fine even on insider build 2004 by using the add-on scripts I supply with the installer.

As always, the upgrades remove the registry settings and services so you need to uninstall and reinstall WMC. There's an extra script to run when you get past build 18958 because Microsoft removed MSSQLLite after that.
Thanks for the feedback. So are there, what you would consider, standard steps one would take after installing (at least major) system updates or is it best to see what each update does and what fixes you and others come up with?

Sound like at a minimum - uninstall/reinstall wmc & run some of the other scripts (like replace dlls).

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:00 pm

Uninstall WMC (making a backup first if you wish) and reboot. Install WMC (and restore the backup if you made one).

Try WMC and see what they have broken this time. Read 'known issues' in the installer folder and run the provided add-ons to resolve them.

Hopefully, the community should have uncovered issues in the pipeline on a PC that runs insider builds before they begin to affect users running regular builds.

I am on the forums almost every day and I try to create an add-on for WMC V13 and build a function into WMC Multi Tool by the time it is required.

Assuming it can be worked around of course.

neilll

Post by neilll » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:21 am

technodevotee wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:04 pm Yep. I have a Hauppauge WinTV Quad HD working with WMC V13 and V8.8.4.

The only thing you should be aware of however is that I only get stereo sound because there doesn't seem to be a codec that decodes surround from the audio stream in UK HD Terrestrial signals.
Appreciate the info, many thanks - Situation is the same as its been for the last 10 years running W7 Media Center then :D

While you are speaking of Codecs does WMC V13 require 3rd Party Codecs to playback stuff like .avi .divx and .mkv out of interest?

(I've had to use Shark on W7 for many years and prior to that K-Lite)
Regards,
Neill

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:13 am

neilll wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:21 am
While you are speaking of Codecs does WMC V13 require 3rd Party Codecs to playback stuff like .avi .divx and .mkv out of interest?

(I've had to use Shark on W7 for many years and prior to that K-Lite)
I don't use WMC for anything other than Recording and Watching TV so I can't help with that.

In case you are interested, I use Musichi Suite for listening to Music (best player I've found for classical music) and DVD Fab Player for watching Blu-Ray and other Video.

Rather frustrating that I can't get Surround Sound on the PC with the DVB-T2 Tuner but because of that, I use it as a backup to my Living Room PC which does record Surround Sound using two dual DVB-S2 cards and three satellites.

neilll

Post by neilll » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:24 am

technodevotee wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:13 am
I don't use WMC for anything other than Recording and Watching TV so I can't help with that.
Thanks again for your help :)
Regards,
Neill

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:41 pm

Hello, so far so good overall after a week or two of V13. However, in every show, two maybe three times I get a freeze in the recording and the image pixilates and then the show returns after 3 seconds or 4 of content. Is there a way to fix this??? TIA!

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:34 pm

rogoued wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:41 pm Hello, so far so good overall after a week or two of V13. However, in every show, two maybe three times I get a freeze in the recording and the image pixilates and then the show returns after 3 seconds or 4 of content. Is there a way to fix this??? TIA!
If you rewind the recording, does the freeze and pixelation happen again at the same spot each time? That would suggest a signal issue. What is your tuner?

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:43 pm

rogoued wrote: Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:41 pm Hello, so far so good overall after a week or two of V13. However, in every show, two maybe three times I get a freeze in the recording and the image pixilates and then the show returns after 3 seconds or 4 of content. Is there a way to fix this??? TIA!
Can you tell us more about your situation? What hardware do you have - Processor, RAM, Disk Drive(s)? What else is the PC used for? What version of Windows you are using. Is this a new installation or an upgrade and if it is, what you were using before?

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:30 am

Ok, guys, yes, the stutter is in the recording, it is not part of the replay. Also, I have an i7 16GB RAM, this is not a machine issue IMHO. Brand new Dell computer that all I did was add WMC and that was it. My Tuners are a single HDHomerun Quattro. This happens consistently, whether I have a single show recording or multiple. TIA

rogoued

Post by rogoued » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:31 am

I was on Windows 7 before, as stated above with a far older quad-core machine. I had a pair of AverMedia Dual Tuner PCI tuners. Those days are over, I am all in with the Quattro. If the Quattro means, I have a stutter here and there - so be it. I will try removing extra cables soon....