Managing WMC Recordings on Win10?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
jimnms

HTPC Specs: Show details

Managing WMC Recordings on Win10?

Post by jimnms » Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:43 pm

I finally cut the cord. With Windows 7 and WMC support ending combined with me just not able to justify paying for cable for the very few shows I watched, I finally ditched it. I do still have a back log of recorded programs on my Win7 box. I intend to upgrade it to Win10 tonight or tomorrow since you can still upgrade for free. Basically I just need a way to keep the shows grouped by series, see the original air date, date recorded and descriptions. Will installing the Win10 Media Center be all I need for this?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:33 pm

Yes, but upgrading to Windows 10 will delete/disable Windows Media Center. You will have to install the "hacked" version of WMC for Windows 10 and that requires reading all of the documentation.

If all you are using the Windows 7 computer for is Windows Media Center, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade to Windows 10.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Space

Post by Space » Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:41 pm

Also, any copy protected recordings will be unwatchable on the Win10 system. You'd need to keep Win7 to watch them.

jimnms

Post by jimnms » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:09 am

I do use it for other things, which is why I need to upgrade it. It will no longer be recording, I just want to make sure I will be able to watch the back log of shows still on it, have it organize them by series where I can see the record date, original air date and description like it does now.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:21 am

In that case, you might want to look at WTV Renamer. Rename the recordings how you want (I think), create a tree structure based on series and season, ... more? I've never used it myself, but you don't need WMC to watch the recordings.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

sdowney717

Post by sdowney717 » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:10 pm

VLC player can play WMC .wtv format recordings just fine.

jimnms

Post by jimnms » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 am

garyan2 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:21 am In that case, you might want to look at WTV Renamer. Rename the recordings how you want (I think), create a tree structure based on series and season, ... more? I've never used it myself, but you don't need WMC to watch the recordings.
Thanks. I checked that out, but it doesn't seem to be working. I've edited the config, run the script, it seemed to be taking forever. I left it running for hours, came back and it was still going. There were some errors on the power shell window, so I killed it. I looked in the log file, it was retrieving information from TVDB, but it never renamed a single file.
sdowney717 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:10 pm VLC player can play WMC .wtv format recordings just fine.
Playing the files isn't a problem. I need to find a way to see the information stored in the file like season, episode, description, original air date, etc.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:00 am

Ah, TVDB screwed up their API a little while ago and probably broke it.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io