Prepping for Win 7 Apocalypse

TYLSidge

HTPC Specs: Show details

Prepping for Win 7 Apocalypse

Post by TYLSidge » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:41 pm

Wondering what others are doing in preperation for MS dropping Win 7 support Jan 1?

I've seen a number of posts here about 3rd party guide data, so I think thats covered. I've heard rumblings that PlayReady is no longer available for WMC7? What happens if you need to re-install Win 7 & WMC? I'm thinking that I'll image my OS drive. I've been downloading Win 7 updates using WSUSOffline. Any other suggestions?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:03 am

Absolutely nothing. Continuing to use my 7MC rig for the purpose for which it was built: Windows Media Center.

OTA and EPG123 user here. And I turned off all updates, and the updater process, years ago.

dkrom

Post by dkrom » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:15 am

adam1991 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:03 am Absolutely nothing. Continuing to use my 7MC rig for the purpose for which it was built: Windows Media Center.

OTA and EPG123 user here. And I turned off all updates, and the updater process, years ago.
I am doing the same - nothing. Main purpose of my computer is to serve my TV.

cvguy

Post by cvguy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:31 pm

dkrom wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:15 am
adam1991 wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:03 am Absolutely nothing. Continuing to use my 7MC rig for the purpose for which it was built: Windows Media Center.

I am doing the same - nothing. Main purpose of my computer is to serve my TV.
Same here. Will continue to use my Windows 7 machine. I also turned off Windows updates years ago. They would always break Emby and my software Blu-ray players. I have already switched to EPG and all is working great. Why change?

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:00 am

I'm looking into trying Channels TV or SiliconDust's HDHomerun's app.

anyone here have any experience with either?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:08 am

I have tried Silicon Dust's dvr and while it worked for the most part, this is the list of items I didn't like

1) When a show is recorded, it won't record another instance, even if you have it set to not only record new episodes. There are times when I will go thru a show and part of the show will have the signal cut out
2) There isn't the standard channel guide. Instead boxes of what shows are on or going to be on, in an order, that I have yet to still figure out.

I haven't heard of Channels TV until this thread. I was going to eventually check it out. I'm just hoping it's fairly simple to setup especially the tv signal part

gary94080 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:00 am I'm looking into trying Channels TV or SiliconDust's HDHomerun's app.

anyone here have any experience with either?

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:37 pm

I've been looking at one of the the NAS they recommend.

I would have to order one because Best Buy or Fry's don't carry them.

if I understand correctly once the show is recorded it is a video file that is available on the NAS. I'm hoping that will mean they can be viewed from a desktop or laptop.

then there is the monthly or annual fee for the program guide ($8 or $80) and cost of new equipment.

EDIT

got an order in for Synology DS218+ and WD 4TB NAS Hard Drive, supposed to arrive tomorrow 12/8.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:22 am

Synology rocks.

sy_trilogy

Post by sy_trilogy » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:23 am

**IF YOU LOVE MEDIA CENTER, READ THE SECOND PARAGRAPH. #1 is only what I have.

I have experience with the SiliconDust tuner as part of my Win 7 Media Center setup. It allows me to record two programs at once. I have just had very helpful dealings with Level 3 Tech support at Microsoft. I was having an issue with an update of .NET Framework 4.8 for Windows 7 for x64. Microsoft is still supporting this system if it is having update issues. My system is running perfectly and is fully updated. I have no intention of abandoning it for anything else. I have saved a fortune over the years with this setup: no cable, no satellite, a fast modem that lets me ask for the slowest speed Internet connection my ISP will provide which costs 19.99 per month. I have a Mohu Skye 60 HD antennae mounted outside that allows me to pull on 56 stations and programming that I can save and/or burn to disk. I still have The Guide and will choose what to replace it with shortly. I do have a Netflix subscription and I am an Amazon Prime member (pays for itself many times over). I have a 5TB RAID 10 in the custom desktop, a 500GB SSD for the OS and temp storage. All this is connected to a Denon AVR and the rest of the theater system in an adjoining room. I have more and better video entertainment than ever. I will not buy more hardware or purchase any more subscriptions, and I resist anything that makes me think it might be necessary. I have made multiple images and have a spare SSD set up and ready to go.

**Microsoft is not closed to the idea I have been suggesting to them for a while: configure Media Center as an app that Windows 10 users can purchase for a price. I'd gladly pay $100 for an app version of Media Center. Microsoft would love to move everyone toward one OS, and they understand that we are out here. I've been told to go to FEEDBACK HUB on a Windows 10 machine and make this suggestion. Use your credentials for Microsoft and they will respond to you. If you don't have an ID and PW for Microsoft, just get a Hotmail address for yourself. That should do to use the Feedback Hub. I've been told they will respond. (I was just told this yesterday by a Level 3 Technician who was very supportive of the idea.) The more people who echo this suggestion, the more likely they are to be responsive. They can make some money, keep us happy with Microsoft, and not have to support WMC for everyone who buys their OS - just those who really want it and already have it.

Information of Feedback Hub must be entered on a machine running Windows 10 - anybody's machine.

69385vette

Post by 69385vette » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:27 pm

I tried out PLEX and found it superior to WMC. I am running a mix of 8 tuners (Hauppage and HDHomerun) with no issues. The PLEX guide works well and after a bit of learning I am ok with the DVR feature. I especially like the automatic commercial removal feature for recorded TV. I was comfortable with the unlimited one time license fee that includes the guide. So, I will be retiring WMC.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:52 pm

I have Plex, and I guess I should try that before I try Channels--but you're the first one I've heard say you like it, especially more than WMC.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:16 am

took me awhile to get Channels DVR installed. think it was operator error.

did a few test recordings. so far it looks ok. it will take a little while to learn the tricks of the DVR. I had used their live TV app so it is not entirely foreign to me.

if I read the Plex information correctly it works with OTA only?

ghostman

Post by ghostman » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:04 pm

gary94080 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:16 am if I read the Plex information correctly it works with OTA only?
To be safe, Plex doesn't advertise that it can work with cable signals because there are so many different cable systems and they all have different policies about encrypting channels. Plex will work with unencrypted, clear QAM channels from your cable provider (probably just the local channels or maybe none at all), but you'll have to manually map the channels to a channel guide. Plex also works with the Silicon Dust HD Home Run Prime and a cable card. With the cable card you could get some encrypted channels, but nothing with DRM (like HBO).

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:02 am

Channels TV doesn't work with HBO or Showtime either.

I'm using a Silicon Dust HD Home Run Prime and a cable card with Xfinity

Channels DVR records in mpg files. it doesn't show in the properties but they appear to be protected. Roxio Video Wave 2011 edition crashes when I try to load a file.

EDIT:

used Windows Live Movie Maker and was able to load and edit the file. so it is possible that the 2011 Roxio Video Wave is just too old.

FlukieStokes

Post by FlukieStokes » Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:56 pm

After January I am going to use my Win 7 PC strictly for Media Center. I am going to install Norton and use that instead of Defender. Does anyone have any advice about leaving it connected to the internet all the time? Should I just connect it once a week to download guide data? I am concerned about security. I don't know if this is extreme, but I was thinking if my Media Center PC becomes infected, due to lack of updates from Microsoft, it could spread to other PC's on my network. Thank you for any advice that you can off

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm

FlukieStokes wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:56 pm After January I am going to use my Win 7 PC strictly for Media Center. I am going to install Norton and use that instead of Defender. Does anyone have any advice about leaving it connected to the internet all the time? Should I just connect it once a week to download guide data? I am concerned about security. I don't know if this is extreme, but I was thinking if my Media Center PC becomes infected, due to lack of updates from Microsoft, it could spread to other PC's on my network. Thank you for any advice that you can off
If you are using the computer only for WMC, you don't need Norton. If you are really concerned about security, configure the Windows Firewall to block any inbound connections. If you concerned about an infection spreading across your network, put the WMC computer in a DMZ or VLAN on your network.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

FlukieStokes

Post by FlukieStokes » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:10 am

Scallica wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:07 pm
FlukieStokes wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:56 pm After January I am going to use my Win 7 PC strictly for Media Center. I am going to install Norton and use that instead of Defender. Does anyone have any advice about leaving it connected to the internet all the time? Should I just connect it once a week to download guide data? I am concerned about security. I don't know if this is extreme, but I was thinking if my Media Center PC becomes infected, due to lack of updates from Microsoft, it could spread to other PC's on my network. Thank you for any advice that you can off
If you are using the computer only for WMC, you don't need Norton. If you are really concerned about security, configure the Windows Firewall to block any inbound connections. If you concerned about an infection spreading across your network, put the WMC computer in a DMZ or VLAN on your network.
Thanks for the advice. What is opinion on any infections if I just leave it connected? Not sure guide data would download If I block inbound connections? Thank you

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:23 am

FlukieStokes wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:10 am Thanks for the advice. What is opinion on any infections if I just leave it connected? Not sure guide data would download If I block inbound connections? Thank you
Retrieving guide data is an outbound connection. An inbound connection would be connecting to the WMC computer via Remote Desktop or an extender making a connection.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

McGary

Post by McGary » Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:57 am

If the only thing you run on that computer is WMC, you're completely safe. What I'd do is be certain it's completely up-to-date -- i.e. apply all Windows updates through the final end-of-support date; then disable automatic updates; and then make an IMAGE of the system and save that somewhere safe (e.g. an external drive; a network location; etc.). You don't need Norton, MSE, etc. -- although it doesn't hurt to leave MSE installed (it won't get updates any longer, and may be a nuisance with notifications … we'll have to wait until January to see.

Since the only thing you're going to be running on it is WMC, there's virtually no risk of injection … the Schedules Direct update task will be the only thing accessing the web. [But check the Windows Task Scheduler to confirm you don't have other automated tasks you might not have thought of -- and simply delete any unnecessary tasks … for example, in my case, I have NO scheduled tasks except the Schedules Direct update and an automated backup that backs up my recordings on one of my servers.]

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:58 pm

if this has been discussed please point me to the correct thread.

how do I/can I uninstall the TV function of WMC?