Windows 7 Clean Install After the Apocalypse

Spruce Goose

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 7 Clean Install After the Apocalypse

Post by Spruce Goose » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:05 am

I upgraded from Vista to W7 years ago, using a W7 upgrade disc. I've read that I can use the upgrade disc to do a clean install, by calling Microsoft for a manual activation. I've also read that such manual activation will still be available after January 14, 2020. But what I haven't been able to verify is this: After January 2020, if I do a clean install, will I still be able to download all of the Windows Updates that were issued prior to the Windows 7 End of Life?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:28 am

I use the Simplix Update Pack 7 to integrate all updates into my own installation DVDs for Win7, every version for both x86 and x64. It takes a very looong time to do all 9 versions, about 1 hour each on an i7, but in the end I have a DVD that will be give me a fully updated OS upon installation. I've got the process all scripted so I can start in the evening and it will be completed by morning when I get up.

You could probably do the same for you upgrade disc... create a new disc with updates integrated. Worst case, just download the update pack and keep it somewhere safe. Whenever you do a new install, just run it and it will install all the updates. Of course, check mid-month January and probably February as well to get the latest and final? updates.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Spruce Goose

Post by Spruce Goose » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:46 am

Thanks, Gary - I hadn't heard of Simplix before, but it sounds like exactly what I'll need. My first priority is to install epg123 before January 14, and then I'll attempt a clean install of W7 at my leisure sometime next year.

Bob