WMC Guide Doesn't Automatically Update

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Eutychus

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Guide Doesn't Automatically Update

Post by Eutychus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:31 pm

According to the EPG123 configuration screen and the EPG123 Client Guide tool show that the guide updated at the scheduled time (1:00:00 AM) with the code 0x80071E0. The WMC guide listing never updates. It works when I run it manually. Today, the scheduled task ran this morning. The "About Guide" information in WMC shows the guide goes to 12/7. That hasn't changed for weeks. When I run it manually, the guide listings go to the full 21 days. I've run through the clean setup a couple of times. I have left both the guide tool and configuration programs open and closed them. It always says it runs. I believe I'm missing something, but I can't find out what. I've searched this forum for the same problem, but haven't been able to find anything. By the way, everything else works fine. It records, shows the right stuff when it's there.
EPG version = 1.2.22
Windows 10, 1903

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:45 pm

The return code is giving a "The operator or administrator has refused the request" exit code. Try changing the user account of the task in Task Scheduler to the account you use to run manually.

EDIT: I may have been too quick in response. There appears to multiple possibilities to get that exit code. Could you tell me more about your setup?

Laptop/Desktop?
UPS?
Did you use the epg123Setup program or the portable?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:09 pm

I have a desktop with an AMD processor FX-8350, ASUS motherboard, 16GB, 64-bit, ATI PCI tuner card. No UPS and have used the setup program and went through the clean setup routine. I have set the program to run as administrator and have turned off the user account control so it never asks to verify the modifications. I can upgrade to version 1.3 if need be.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:41 pm

I'm not sure a local administrator has network access when running the task. Try changing the user to your account and see if the task will run then.
- Gary

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:26 pm

I changed it to the administrator when it didn't run on my user account. I can create another account and login as that. By the way, when I look at the "Guide Terms of Service" in WMC, it does say I need to be connected to the Internet. I don't know if that means anything. Let me create a user account and see what happens. I'll let you tomorrow.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:08 pm

You can test the task out after changing the user by just clicking the 'Run' button. You will get instant verification whether it works or not (after clicking the 'Refresh' button).

Is there are reason you didn't want to use the default NETWORK SERVICES account?
- Gary

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:04 pm

Since yesterday was Thanksgiving, I didn't let you know. From the other threads, I didn't know if you are in the US and celebrate the US Thanksgiving or if you weren't and don't. I suppose you may just not regardless of where you live.

The update: It updates without the "Run as Administrator" setting on the new login. The EPG Configuration and EPG Client were set to run on startup, but I disabled that. It still updated so I assume I don't need them to open or run when the computer boots. Correct? When they run they give an error about updating the program directory, which they can't do. I'm using a spare computer to test this. Assuming everything continues to work, I'll put this on the main TV computer. It's running Windows 8.1 with the original WMC. When confirmed, I'll update it to Win 10 and use this setup. TMI, I'm sure.

By the way, thank you for your help and for doing this. It's a great help.

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:31 pm

Is there are reason you didn't want to use the default NETWORK SERVICES account?
I didn't know there was one. I've added that to my user.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:47 pm

For Win10, I had to use NETWORK SERVICES because the Anniversary update broke the Task Scheduler such that non-Administrator and non-Service accounts would not be able to perform more than 1 Action from the task. That has since probably been fixed, but I left it that way. For your Win8.1 machine, it should have used whatever account you were logged in as when you created the task. Did you use EPG123 to create the task, or did you create it yourself?

What was the error/message you got concerning the program directory?
- Gary

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:24 pm

The error is "EPG123 is going to add the user 'Everyone' with Full Control rights to the "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup" folder. This may take a while depending on how many files are in the folder and subfolders." After clicking "OK" is says "EPG123 did not have sufficient priveleges to edit the forlder "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\StartMenu\Programs\Startup" permissions. Please run this GUI with elevated rights (as Administrator) to make the necessary changes."

I am going to upgrade the Win 8.1 to 10, because I don't want to deal with the change when 8.1 is no longer supported and also that makes all my machines on the same OS.

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:46 pm

"Everyone" had full permission. I removed "Everyone" and EPG123 and EPG123 Client. It still comes up with the same error and it won't login to Schedules Direct. When I start it manually after booting, it works fine. Should I have it in the startup?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:59 am

No, it should not be in the startup. It is not something that should be on all the time... it just needs to create an MXF file and import into WMC.

The task you set up can be configured to wake your computer to run at a certain time, or it can run shortly after you turn the computer on after a "missed" run time.
- Gary

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:49 pm

I've set the EPG to Wake and it seems to be working. I've removed both EPG123 and EPG123 Client from starting. The Exit code is now 0x00000000. I assume that means it ran normally.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:58 pm

Correct. Exit code 0 is a success. What does the EPG123 logo on the WMC homescreen look like?
- Gary

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:59 pm

It has a green + in the upper right with today's date on it. There's another little issue. When I bring up the EPG123 Client Guide Tool, the scheduled task says "ERROR: Access is denied." The Create, Client Setup, Rebuild WMC Database and the Restore buttons all have the blue and yellow shield. If I click on anyone of them, the window disappears and comes back with everything normal. The scheduled task then says "Ready. The task has not yet run. Exit 0x00041303." This is something new. When close it and bring it back up, it goes back to the error mode as previously described. The EPG123 Configuration window comes up fine. I upgraded to v1.3.0, but it was doing this before that.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:09 pm

The shields mean you can't perform that operation unless you have elevated rights (run as Administrator). With Win10, you need elevated rights to see the status of the task. That is why it says access is denied until then.
- Gary

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:34 pm

Sure nuff. I added "Run as administrator" and it comes up fine. At this point everything seems to be okay. Thank you so much for your patience with me. Now, as long as WMC records before I login, like when the computer reboots when I'm gone and I can't login, everything is golden. I check that later. Again, thanks so much for your help.

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:04 pm

New problem with new computer. I have everything running on my TV computer. The only issue is the EPG doesn't update WMC. I tried to match all the settings and permissions on my test computer and the TV computer, because the test computer updates and there aren't any issues. The EPG runs the guide update every morning at 2:05. Unfortunately, it returns an error code of 800702E4 and says "Permission denied." The EPG symbol in the bottom right is green with a "+" and says "01/04/20" as the date. The guide hasn't updated past 1/21 for a week. The only way I can get it to update is to do the clean install. Is there any thing else I can provide for you?

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:56 pm

For starters, the only thing needed for a manual update is to open EPG123 and click the [Save & Execute] button. No need to do a clean install.

How do you have your task setup? As a Full Mode task or a Client Mode task?
- Gary

Eutychus

Post by Eutychus » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:30 am

The manual update doesn't work. It goes through the motions, but WMC doesn't update. It is set to Full Mode.