How to get rid of the annoying POPUP about Jan 2020 Guide going away

iggytech

HTPC Specs: Show details

How to get rid of the annoying POPUP about Jan 2020 Guide going away

Post by iggytech » Fri Nov 29, 2019 4:40 am

Can anyone tell me how to get rid of this annoying popup screen in my Media TV Guide?
It just recently started and I know about Jan 2020 that MS will no long supply a guide for us.
But must I be told every time I want to watch TV. LOL
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Attachments
WMP.JPG

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:35 am

I never installed 'KB4493132' so I've never gotten this, but uninstalling the patch should do the trick:

https://www.howtogeek.com/408556/how-to ... port-nags/

iggytech

Post by iggytech » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:36 pm

Thank you. I knew it was one of those but never wrote the KB# down any where. I have it now and works.
Thank you again.

Now I need to figure out when the world ends and I'm forced to move to Win10 what I will do with my TV Tuner card.
May have to go to WinTV V10 from Hauppauge to watch TV.
Guess I have to buy a new code for the new WinTV Version 10 as past version codes will not work on the new V10.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:49 pm

What if you've never installed KB4493132? I've searched the installed update list and it comes up empty.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:57 pm

Did you 'Search Installed Updates' for '4493132'? I typically come up empty trying to find things visually in that list (old eyes), or including 'KB'. According to the linked article, "KB4493132 was first released on March 19, 2019...".

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:36 pm

d00zah wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:57 pm Did you 'Search Installed Updates' for '4493132'? I typically come up empty trying to find things visually in that list (old eyes), or including 'KB'. According to the linked article, "KB4493132 was first released on March 19, 2019...".
I did the search but with no results.

Its suggested in another thread to uninstall KB4524752. This one I do have installed.
viewtopic.php?p=134283#p134283

Windows 7 SP1 support notification for Windows 7 Professional
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... ofessional

Edit: Removing KB4524752 seems to have eliminated it for me.
Last edited by dmagerl on Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Space

Post by Space » Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:59 pm

KB4493132 is the patch that enables "Win7 no longer supported" warnings, but I don't know if it is for the WMC guide warning.

Do we have confirmation that removing this patch works to get rid the the WMC specific message? This patch was initially released in March, and I don't know that they even knew they were getting rid of the guide back then (if so why not put out an announcement sooner?)

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:16 pm

KB # may also vary depending on x86/x64 version of Win7. Only installing 'Ask Woody's' recommended 'Security Only' patches for the last year, or so, but I do read descriptions of all 'offered' patches. Haven't seen anything WMC-specific in years.

But based on this:

https://softwaretested.com/windows/what ... s-for-you/

, I might speculate:

- This may only apply to the 'Update to Windows 10' nags.

- The WMC nags are only being pushed to those still using the native guide (& maybe those who didn't remove it as completely as they think when switching to an alternative?).

I abandoned the native guide over a year ago & never installed KB4493132, so... who knows? I've never seen either nag.

RodBarnes

Post by RodBarnes » Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:04 am

This popup started displaying for me only in the last day or so. I had already removed the old guide and switched to using EPG123 about a month ago. Something must have triggered this happening again.

Looks like this came with the recent "Servicing Stack" update which I got on 11/27/19. But when I look at that update, there is no option to uninstall it.

Found this post "WMC Programming Guide Warning" (viewtopic.php?p=134265#p134265) and took those steps, now it has gone away. Hopefully, forever.

gkr321

Post by gkr321 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:42 pm

Maybe it has a counter. It went away after a couple of days

purpleb

Post by purpleb » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:35 am

ok, I am getting the same thing on my other WMC7 system. I had it on one system and removed KB4493132 and no more message.

On my main system in the living room, it just started up tonight. I removed KB4493132 and still comes up. KB4524752 was not there. I changed values in the registry with ESNotify and no luck. I tried to rename ESNotify.exe but could not do that with the security.

Can some post a reg file to clear it fully?? It comes up with WMC coming up and every time I go to the guide. I installed EPG123 last week and am running it now.

purpleb

Post by purpleb » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:55 am

I typed to soon, it is now happening on my 2nd system tonight which I fixed a month ago removing KB4493132.

Has anyone else seen this message again?? Uuuuuuuuuuugh.

jbburlison

Post by jbburlison » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:33 pm

I have been using EPG 123 for a few years now, but MS is at it again. Even though I am using EPG123 for my guide data, I still get the switch warning every time I bring up the guide... Is there a way to disable this? If I update/reinstall the latest version of EPG123, will that disable the message?

Thanks

[Moderator note: topic merged]

sangley

Post by sangley » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:45 pm

I have this question too. I have been using EPG successfully for months. Yet I keep getting this repeat message from Microsoft warning me about the Program guide expiring. Any suggestions about disabling this appreciated.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:44 pm

For the last year. or so, I've only been applying 'security only' updates for Win7, approved for askWoody dot com 'group B' community. One of the updates for Dec came with this warning:

"Dec 2019 KB 4530692 – Download 32-bit or 64-bit (Contains KB4493132 Windows 7 EOS nagware)"

& I'll assume the comparable 'full' update came with same. TBH, after installing that update, I still haven't encountered ANY of the nags, but DID grab a 'patch' which supposedly removed them in anticipation. I can't, for the life of me, find the original thread in that forum where it appeared, but I'll post it here anyway for any who might be plagued by this. I see nothing that appears nefarious, but use at your own risk. NO guarantees!!! YMMV

Code: Select all

@echo off
%windir%\system32\reg.exe query "HKU\S-1-5-19" 1>nul 2>nul || (
echo ==== ERROR ====
echo This script require administrator privileges.
echo To do so, right click on this script and select 'Run as administrator'
echo.
echo Press any key to exit...
pause >nul
goto :eof
)

for /f "tokens=6 delims=[]. " %%# in ('ver') do set winbuild=%%#
if %winbuild% gtr 7601 goto :proceed

:: ############################
:: # EOS 2019-12 KB4530734    #
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\EOSNotify /f /v DontRemindMe /t REG_DWORD /d 1
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\EOSNotify /f /v DiscontinueEOS /t REG_DWORD /d 1
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\EOSNotify /f /v LastRunTimestamp /t REG_QWORD /d 0x0
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\EOSNotify /f /v TimestampOverride /t REG_QWORD /d 0x0
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Setup\EOSNotify"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Setup\EOSNotify2"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Setup\EOSNotify"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Setup\EOSNotify2"

:: # EOS KB4493132/KB4524752  #
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SipNotify /f /v DontRemindMe /t REG_DWORD /d 1
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SipNotify /f /v DateModified /t REG_QWORD /d 0x0
reg add HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SipNotify /f /v LastShown /t REG_QWORD /d 0x0
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\End Of Support\Notify1"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\End Of Support\Notify2"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\End Of Support\Notify1"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\End Of Support\Notify2"
set hosts=%windir%\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
findstr /i "RE2JgkA" %hosts% 1>nul 2>nul || (
attrib -r %hosts%
echo 127.0.0.1 query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com/cms/api/am/binary/RE2JgkA>>%hosts%
attrib +r %hosts%
attrib -a %hosts%
)
rd /s /q "%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\SipNotify" 1>nul 2>nul

:proceed
:: # Unified Telemetry Client #
sc.exe config DiagTrack start= disabled
sc.exe stop DiagTrack
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx /v DisableGwx /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate /v DisableOSUpgrade /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade" /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade /v AllowOSUpgrade /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection /f
reg delete HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\DiagTrack /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Diagnostics\DiagTrack /v DiagTrackAuthorization /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\IE /v CEIPEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\IE /v SqmLoggerRunning /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Reliability /v CEIPEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Reliability /v SqmLoggerRunning /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows /v CEIPEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows /v SqmLoggerRunning /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient\Windows /v DisableOptinExperience /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\AutoLogger-Diagtrack-Listener /f
reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\Diagtrack-Listener /f
rem reg delete HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\AutoLogger\SQMLogger /f
icacls "%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Diagnosis" /grant:r *S-1-5-32-544:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F) /T /C
del /f /q %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Diagnosis\*.rbs
del /f /q /s %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Diagnosis\ETLLogs\*

:: #####################################
:: # Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser #
:: #####################################
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v HaveUploadedForTarget /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\AIT" /v AITEnable /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\ClientTelemetry" /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\ClientTelemetry" /v DontRetryOnError /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\ClientTelemetry" /v IsCensusDisabled /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\ClientTelemetry" /v TaskEnableRun /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
for %%i in (InstallInfoCheck,ARPInfoCheck,MediaInfoCheck,FileInfoCheck) do reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Compatibility Assistant\Tracing" /v %%i /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags" /v UpgradeEligible /f
reg delete "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\TelemetryController" /f
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SetupSQMTask"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\BthSQM"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\TelTask"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater"
schtasks /Change /DISABLE /TN "Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack\BackgroundConfigSurveyor"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\SetupSQMTask"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\BthSQM"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\Consolidator"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\KernelCeipTask"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\TelTask"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Customer Experience Improvement Program\UsbCeip"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\ProgramDataUpdater"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\AitAgent"
schtasks /Delete /F /TN "Microsoft\Windows\PerfTrack\BackgroundConfigSurveyor"
echo.
echo.
echo Closing in 5 Seconds...
timeout /t 5 >nul
goto :eof

RedWMC

Post by RedWMC » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:20 pm

purpleb wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:55 am I typed to soon, it is now happening on my 2nd system tonight which I fixed a month ago removing KB4493132.

Has anyone else seen this message again?? Uuuuuuuuuuugh.
Did you check for both updates on your systems?
After uninstalling update and rebooting did you hide the update in windows update?

I personally only had to uninstall whatever update corresponded to my system (there are at least two out there for different systems, both called out on this thread), rebooted and hid that specific update. Follow step 5. Uninstall KB4493132 Update in the below guide.

Here’s a good walkthrough for uninstalling/hiding/registry
https://www.askvg.com/tip-how-to-disabl ... n-message/

tedfoster

Post by tedfoster » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:50 pm

Does any one know how to stop this message.

SWITCH TO AN ALTERNATE TV PROGRAM GUIDE PROVIDER
Starting in January 2020, Microsoft is retiring its Electronic Program Guide service. To continue receiving TV Program Guide information on your Windows Media Center, you may configure an alternative TV listing provider.

Windows Media Center has started annoying me today with a popup (text to follow) about it retiring the free guide data. I've seen the message a couple of times before, but now it is notifying me every time I hit the guide page or the main page in Windows Media Center. I've literally seen the message hundreds of times today. I'm WELL aware of the this fact and don't need to be notified, especially via constant harassment . How do I stop it? I've already switched to a different guide data provider and I don't need the Microsoft data anymore. What I really want it for them to stop the annoying popup.

[Moderator note: topic merged]

mainertodd

Post by mainertodd » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:40 pm

Just FYI, I started getting the message on Thursday evening, but as of Saturday morning it's gone. So if you're getting it, hang in there! It should only be temporary.

purpleb

Post by purpleb » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:13 pm

Yes, for me, the message went away Friday am. Only a scare from Redmond for Thursday night after 6pm.

My configuration was:
1. Using EPG123 on both systems
2. block all Win7 updates
3. KB4493132 removed on both systems

Just surprised to get the guide message when using EPG123 and guide.

tedfoster

Post by tedfoster » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:57 pm

I checked my system which is WMC 8.1. I did not find KB4493132 update on my system which might be only for windows 7. I did not find KB4524752 which also might be only for windows 7.