Recorded TV HD Addin

StinkyImp

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:23 pm

IT Troll wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:05 pmI am surprised you were doing this manually before last week. Up until then I was finding it would work automatically for 95%+ of my content.
Me too... Except I was doing it for the other 5 - 10% of shows we record that aren't listed in the tvdb. That's how I learned, and became very familiar with, my workaround.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:48 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pmAs shown in the properties of the WTV file that was recorded OTA, the title, subtitle, episode name, recording date, network affiliation, broadcast date, channel number, call sign, description text, etc. are all included.
Yeah, I understand that. I however have a mix of OTA and non OTA content. So a lot more manual work is now required on the the non OTA stuff. Which is annoying as it was all working automagically before last Thursday.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:14 pm

IT Troll wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:48 pmYeah, I understand that. I however have a mix of OTA and non OTA content. So a lot more manual work is now required on the the non OTA stuff. Which is annoying as it was all working automagically before last Thursday.
Since this is the RecordedTVHD thread and I'm affected by the TVDB breakage, I thought this was the appropriate place to explain a simple workaround for OTA users. I tried at every turn to emphasize that I was discussing OTA only, not a mix.

In my workaround post for OTA users, I even mentioned this:
StinkyImp wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pmI don't know what the effect would be for cable users. If they receive the same program information as OTA users, then updating the artwork and database may be sufficient.
I'm sorry this won't work for you and thank you for confirming that. :D

If you find a substitute that works for mixed recordings, please share what you find so others in your situation can benefit from your experience. That's all I'm attempting to do for OTA users... If they don't want to go through a lot of hassles, make changes to their existing systems, or most importantly, irritate their SO :oops: then this is a path of least discomfort.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:21 pm

TheTVDB is currently in meltdown. No apps which are using the old APIs are working correctly (without workaround fixes). I’ve spent some time on TheTVDB forums are it is full of issues and confusion. Each day changes are being made which fix some things whilst breaking others. Things they claim to have fixed are still not fixed and the devs seem to be concentrating on the new website and v3 API rather than all the problems this upgrade has created. It an excellent example of how not to implement change.

Hopefully, RTVHD will start to work again, without requiring any changes, once the many API bugs are fixed and things stabilise.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 pm

IT Troll wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:21 pmHopefully, RTVHD will start to work again, without requiring any changes, once the many API bugs are fixed and things stabilise.
I hear ya! In the meantime I'm lucky I have a simple solution for RTVHD.

I see you also mentioned FileBot. For that I simply switched to TVMaze as the provider and it works great.

I also use Media Center Master because Pete has updated fetchers for IMDB, TVDB v2, and TVDB v3 for TV show metadata. Even so, theTVDB is still a bit glitchy.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:54 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:58 pm I see you also mentioned FileBot. For that I simply switched to TVMaze as the provider and it works great.
I don’t use it personally, I just mentioned it alongside some other very popular apps which got broken by this upgrade.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:59 pm

IT Troll wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:54 pm...some other very popular apps which got broken by this upgrade.
What?!? No mention of EPG123 as being an "other very popular app"? I'm hurt. :cry: Of course, I already took care of the impact to my Transfer Tool with all this.

Off-topic... missed opportunity @IT Troll. I was in Edinburgh last month on business travel. I didn't even think of giving you a shout out while I was there.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:53 am

LOL. No offence intended. EPG123 is mostly unaffected though, I forget there are still some late comers who need to transfer from inferior solutions.

Edinburgh in November? That was brave, it can be rather dreich!

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:10 am

It wasn't too bad. Got a bit wet, but the last day there was pretty nice so I did the museum and the castle. Filled up the day nicely.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 pm

Some happy news! The developer of Recorded TV HD has kindly released a beta which fixes most of the issues brought about by TheTVDB API changes. This is very much appreciated as I know Mark no longer uses RTVHD himself and stepped away from the project a couple of years ago, making it free to use, but without active support. :thumbup:

I have been running the new beta for a week and it is once again automatically identifying shows and downloading poster and background art. I am still seeing some errors regarding downloading episode thumbnails and season posters, but even so, it is working much better than it was. Beta download and more information can be found here:
http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5. ... 09610.html

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:23 am

I can't register on the forum but send him my thanks!!

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:54 am

I'm not able to set up an account at the Recorded TV HD forums, so I'm hoping someone here can help. I've been getting a lot of the error messages "RTVHD has stopped responding". These happen every day, sometimes multiple times. Usually it's while watching a recorded show, but sometimes even while WMC is relatively idle.

User IT Troll had posted a detailed procedure on that forum he used to solve his similar problem. Essentially it was designed to eliminate disk errors. I followed that procedure through the stages of carefully cleaning and reformatting the drive. I didn't follow his recommendation to delete and reinstall Digital Cable Advisor due to the warning that I may not be able to view my premium recorded content, of which I have a lot. Anyway, this did not fix my problem. I'm still getting the error message.

Does anybody have any other thoughts on how to resolve this? Typically this is disruptive as it happens during playback, which gets choppy and stutters and pauses until Recorded TV HD finally crashes and the show can resume playing. I consider this program essential since it allows me to organize the large amount of recorded content we have into favorite lists. I'm not aware of any other way to do this.

I see there is a new beta version to fix a different problem. Perhaps upgrading to that would help? If I do, will upgrading to this new beta version keep all my Recorded TV HD data, or will everything get reset (like all the Favorite classifications for all of my shows)?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:01 am

If you are still on the last official release from 2013 I would definitely recommend upgrading. There have been a couple of other beta releases prior to the latest one. Overall stability is much better, I still get an occasional not responding, but only perhaps one every couple of weeks. This only happens whilst browsing the content, never during playback. The upgrade process will retain all your settings and favorites.

Hobbes

Post by Hobbes » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:46 pm

Thanks. I'll install the upgrade and see if that does the trick.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:00 pm

I would also recommend setting up the Service Recovery options. This won't help with "RTVHD has stopped responding" type problems, but it does help with the "background service is not running" warning. These settings, found in Services, are not configured by default. The following will attempt to automatically restart the service, if it fails, up to twice per day.
ServiceRecovery.png

garnuts

Post by garnuts » Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:08 pm

IT Troll wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:42 pm Some happy news! The developer of Recorded TV HD has kindly released a beta which fixes most of the issues brought about by TheTVDB API changes. This is very much appreciated as I know Mark no longer uses RTVHD himself and stepped away from the project a couple of years ago, making it free to use, but without active support. :thumbup:

I have been running the new beta for a week and it is once again automatically identifying shows and downloading poster and background art. I am still seeing some errors regarding downloading episode thumbnails and season posters, but even so, it is working much better than it was. Beta download and more information can be found here:
http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5. ... 09610.html
Thanks for posting this IT Troll! ... and thank you Mark if you read this.

I've been using RTVHD for 5 years and I've kept putting off manually fixing all the episode mismatches since the API changes, but now I don't have to :thumbup:

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 pm

I noticed over at http://www.recordedtvhd.com/ that Mark has announced that the RTVHD website will go offline on 30th March 2020. This is sad news, but inevitable given that Windows 7 is now end-of-life.

Mark has kindly given permission for the the installer and product key to be freely distributed and so here they are for The Green Button community.

This is Beta v2.0.3 which includes the fix for TheTVDB API v3.
RecordedTVHDSetup-2.0.3.zip
(5.34 MiB) Downloaded 367 times

Use this product key when registering:
4DFE-HJUM-GQAS-C67N-HNKO

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:01 pm

Is it possible to download the forum?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:13 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:01 pm Is it possible to download the forum?
Only with forum admin access I would image. Or using some bot to scrape all the pages into an archive.

Space

Post by Space » Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:54 am

It appears that the forum is hosted on nabble.com (which says it is free, but who knows?). I am not sure if that is also going away... Also it seems to redirect to www.recordedtvhd.com, so not sure how that would work after it's gone.

http://recorded-tv-hd-forum.1045789.n5.nabble.com/
http://www.recordedtvhd.com/forum/#nabble-f4274568

I also saved the main forum page on archive.org, but that supposedly does not save any of the other pages automatically. When I visit each thread on archive.org, it seems to save that page in real time, but someone would need to visit every page to get them all saved...