Missing TV show

Rickt1962

HTPC Specs: Show details

Missing TV show

Post by Rickt1962 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:13 pm

I have a HDhome run with total of 6 tuners Windows 7 Media Center and Arrow at 9 pm didnt record I used Windows Event viewer to see what happened and it doesnt show anything.
Is there any other location to check to see why it didnt record ?
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:29 pm

WMC > Recorded TV > View Scheduled > History

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:44 pm

d00zah wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:29 pm WMC > Recorded TV > View Scheduled > History
Yes I viewed it and it does not show recorded it only shows ones that have been recorded and Arrow is missing but it shows up in the schedule
HTPC W7 pro with HDhomerun with 6 tuners using Comcast scanned by MCEbuddy uploaded to network to be watched by KODI

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Rickt1962 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:44 pm
d00zah wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:29 pm WMC > Recorded TV > View Scheduled > History
Yes I viewed it and it does not show recorded it only shows ones that have been recorded and Arrow is missing but it shows up in the schedule
That sounds like the series request might be messed up. Had it tried to record the episode, it'd show up in history. I'd delete/recreate the series request & see how it goes next time.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 am

There are many things that can cause a show to not be recorded and also not noted in the History.

The main reason would be incorrect guide data. It may have an incorrect OAD (Original Air Date) so that WMC does not know it is NEW (and you have the Series set to only record NEW episodes), it may have an incorrect SeriesID so that WMC does not know it is an episode of the series you want to record, the guide may just completely be wrong and not even list that show at all in that timeslot.

I personally double check my scheduled recordings at least once a week against the web listings (I currently use TitanTV.com) to make sure every NEW episode is scheduled to record, this is a necessity for me with Rovi/TiVo guide data, with Gracenote (EPG123) it may not be as important.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:05 pm

Space wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:47 am There are many things that can cause a show to not be recorded and also not noted in the History.

The main reason would be incorrect guide data. It may have an incorrect OAD (Original Air Date) so that WMC does not know it is NEW (and you have the Series set to only record NEW episodes), it may have an incorrect SeriesID so that WMC does not know it is an episode of the series you want to record, the guide may just completely be wrong and not even list that show at all in that timeslot.

I personally double check my scheduled recordings at least once a week against the web listings (I currently use TitanTV.com) to make sure every NEW episode is scheduled to record, this is a necessity for me with Rovi/TiVo guide data, with Gracenote (EPG123) it may not be as important.
Yes I have only record new :( Thank you for the tip

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:55 am

WMC7 did not record 4 programs this week, & it's only early Wed AM.

I went to watch a program last night (Tues) that was supposed to be a series recording done on Mon. But it's not there & no record of it in History. So I went to watch a Tues evening program, but none of 3 series recordings were there either.

I know sometimes a program gets mislabeled in the guide, but every weekend I go over the scheduled recordings for the upcoming week & everything was proper. Even if I never verified, what are the odds that 4 scheduled series recordings would just vanish without a trace.

FWIW it did record a series program on Sun. And I tried a one-time scheduled recording late last night (Tues) & it recorded.

Any idea why the heck WMC missed 4 series programs on Mon & Tues?

Space

Post by Space » Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:04 pm

I've already posted some reasons for shows not getting recorded in this thread, without more specific information it's not possible to determine why it did not record in this case (and even with more specific info it may not be possible).

For instance, if the shows that did not record were all on the same channel, maybe that channel was removed from the guide listings for some reason.

Many cable stations re-air episodes multiple times throughout the week, were any of the missed shows re-aired and scheduled to record in the future due to a conflict when the initial airing was scheduled?

There are just too many reasons a show may not be recorded, so without more detailed information, it is not really possible for someone to guess why it did not record.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:17 pm

You should check your event log to see if WMC recorded any complaints at the time the recordings were scheduled for.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:41 pm

The missing programs were OTA from CBS and NBC. These channels are still in the EPG and the programs are still scheduled to be recorded next week. There is no repeat throughout the week for these programs. I looked at the Zap2it guide listings Tues night & all the programs were listed as normal. Thank goodness Zap2It lets you look at yesterday's guide data.

When I reviewed the schedule on Sun afternoon it was all good. The Sunday evening program that did record was on CBS. But the Mon & Tues programs were missed. I know sometimes an unexplained glitch can occur, but I've got 4 of them.

I looked in Event Viewer under Microsoft > Media Center. It lists the Sunday program that was recorded & the test one I did late Tues night. There is no mention of the scheduled Mon or Tues programs. Nothing.

On Sunday I did a "Do not record" for a weekday series program. It shows the name of this program in Event Viewer and time stamped Sunday which is when I selected "Do not record". However Event Viewer doesn't say anything about being deleted from the schedule. But at least it shows the name & a date that something supposedly happened. If my missing programs were removed from the schedule for whatever reason, shouldn't their names at also appear in the Event Viewer with a date indicating that at least something happened with them?

I have some series recording due to take place this evening & I'll be here to see what happens.

Space

Post by Space » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:24 am

No, if a program is scheduled to record and it is removed from the guide by a guide update, there will be no mention of it in the Event Viewer (or in WMC History, note that History just displays a subset of the entries from Event Viewer). By the same token, if you use "New" for your Series and the OAD of the episode changes so that it is no longer considered "new" it will not record or log anything in the Event Viewer.

If a show is still scheduled to record and WMC attempts to record it, but fails for some reason, that should be logged in Event Viewer, however if it fails and finds that there is another airing in the future of that same episode, it will not log anything and will just schedule that future airing to record. If after that, the future airing is removed from the guide (before it's airing date), then I THINK it will also not log anything (and of course, not record), but I have not tested this particular scenario.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 am

Space - thanks for the detailed information.

I have most series set to record new only. That's usually not a problem because I've found that CBS & others rarely repeat the programs I watch. Sometimes a program is pre-empted & gets pushed back a week & labeled as a rerun which causes a problem. But that's one of the reasons I go over the schedule during the proceeding weekend. Guess I'll change the settings to new & rerun just to be sure (or at least reduce the possibility) nothing gets missed.

I guess It's possible that the guide update that took place very early Monday morning could have changed a program's status from new to rerun & therefore it didn't get recorded. But what are the odds this would happen to 4 programs? I know there's no clear answer to what happened but it now makes me doubt the reliability of the system. For the next couple weeks I'll try to check the scheduled recordings every evening before any recording take place.

FWIW all my programs recorded OK last night, Wed.

tonywagner

Post by tonywagner » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:37 pm

Mike88 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 am it now makes me doubt the reliability of the system.
Are you still using the Rovi guide? If so, you won't have to worry about the reliability of their system for too much longer. :)

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:53 pm

LOL Using EPG123 now and still have the same problems so its not ROVI

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:41 am

Do you browse the "view scheduled" list (accessed from the three items above your Recorded TV list) as part of your checking the schedule? If it's not in there, then it's not set to record. You would then know to look at its entry in the guide to find out why. As mentioned above, maybe a wrong original air date or just a wrong listing entirely.

I also use the "Other Showings" window that's available in the recording itself. That will list all the available guide entries for that show, and which ones are set to record. For example, next Friday (4/17) shows a new Blacklist at 8pm, immediately followed at 9pm by a rerun that won't get recorded for me.

Rickt1962

Post by Rickt1962 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:55 am

adam1991 wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:41 am Do you browse the "view scheduled" list (accessed from the three items above your Recorded TV list) as part of your checking the schedule? If it's not in there, then it's not set to record. You would then know to look at its entry in the guide to find out why. As mentioned above, maybe a wrong original air date or just a wrong listing entirely.

I also use the "Other Showings" window that's available in the recording itself. That will list all the available guide entries for that show, and which ones are set to record. For example, next Friday (4/17) shows a new Blacklist at 8pm, immediately followed at 9pm by a rerun that won't get recorded for me.
Yes once a week I always check to see conflict or any other problems. Does anyone ever have issue with MythTV once in awhile ?