Recorded TV HD Addin

chrisdfw

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by chrisdfw » Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:05 pm

Thank you, it is working now

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:03 pm

A few issues have been discovered with this beta - well that is what they are for.

It is worth also keeping an eye on the RTVHD forum for updates.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:23 pm

I use the TV archive function of WHS 2011. I have a problem where RTVHD cannot read WTV metadata within files that have been moved to my network share on WHS 2011 but when I move the file to the local file system, it reads metadata just fine. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so have you found a solution? Thanks.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:59 am

It's been a while since I had media on 2 different machines. A couple of items that seemed to work for me, but no guarentees:

1) Use the IP path instead of a mapped path.. For example: \\192.168.0.100\D\Shows
2) Use the same user id and password on both machines
3) Enter your User name & password, at the bottom on the General Settings Tab
jachin99 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:23 pm I use the TV archive function of WHS 2011. I have a problem where RTVHD cannot read WTV metadata within files that have been moved to my network share on WHS 2011 but when I move the file to the local file system, it reads metadata just fine. Has anyone else had this problem, and if so have you found a solution? Thanks.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:40 pm

I MIGHT have found a solution to the metadata issue at least. If it works out, then I'll create a hardlink between my server & client RTVHD instances. On the server I gave network service permission to read & list folder contents and attributes on the recorded TV folder, which is separated from the C drive on the server. This machine only stores files. On the Win 7 machine, I configured the RTVHD service to run with network service permissions. From here, I'll hard link the RTVHD folder on other PCs to the RTVHD folder on this windows 7 machines. This is probably too permissive for what I need but it is a simple, workable solution. My fear is that the RTVHD service will have its permissions reset, and I'll have to fix it each time I move a recording. We'll see how it works out I guess but so far so good.

DjFourmoney

Post by DjFourmoney » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:38 pm

I have a problem with RecordTV HD. I don't know if it was asking for the password to the HTPC or my WHS 2011 box either way I tried both and it wouldn't connect to either.

So I uninstalled it.

Now when I push the Record TV button on remote it doesn't respond. I have to go through the Green Button to get to Record TV menu. I've rebooted the machine a couple of times over the last couple of months still have the problem.

Seems to me I only have the option to do a repair install of WMC or is there a way to relink it to the remote again?

All other buttons work.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:42 pm

DjFourmoney wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:38 pm I have a problem with RecordTV HD. I don't know if it was asking for the password to the HTPC or my WHS 2011 box either way I tried both and it wouldn't connect to either.

So I uninstalled it.

Now when I push the Record TV button on remote it doesn't respond. I have to go through the Green Button to get to Record TV menu. I've rebooted the machine a couple of times over the last couple of months still have the problem.

Seems to me I only have the option to do a repair install of WMC or is there a way to relink it to the remote again?

All other buttons work.
To fix your remote problems you can try reinstalling RTVHD, and disabling the option to use the recorded TV button to launch RTVHD. If that doesn't work those remote keys are defined in the registry somewhere, and you can remap them. That is probably what RTVHD does. I'm testing a setup where my recordings are archived on WHS 2011, my RTVHD database is stored on one WIn 7 box, and I created hardlinks on all other PCs so that each RTVHD instances read the database on this one WIn 7 box. When everything has been running for a while and still works I can give you instructions. How many PCs do you have recorded TV HD installed on?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:49 pm

So it would seem that TheTVDB released v3 of their API on Thursday.
https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60048

And in the process completely broke the v1 and v2 API.
https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=122&t=60034

This means RecordedTVHD and many other client apps are no longer working.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:47 pm

IT Troll wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:49 pmThis means RecordedTVHD and many other client apps are no longer working.
DISCLAIMER: I'm on OTA, not cable.

I've been using DB Browser for SQLite to fix the "RecordedTVHDdb.s3db" database for over a year.

Between the RecordedTVHD settings interface and DB Browser for SQLite, I haven't had to use the TVDB for much of anything.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:09 pm

I guess I'm going to have to fix my Transfer Tool one last time before January (after that it is kinda no longer necessary).

Dang it.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:15 pm

garyan2 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:09 pmI guess I'm going to have to fix my Transfer Tool one last time before January (after that it is kinda no longer necessary).
I'd hold fire for a bit. They have broken just about everything; kodi, emby, sonarr, filebot. So surely they have to fix the old API...

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Yah, should have read the links you provided. They are working on it. I just need to last a couple months longer.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:27 am

Latest from TheTVBD devs:
We are currently updating our Webpage and against our Expectations the Scrapers don´t work correctly. This affects everyone with every System. The Dev´s are on it, i can´t tell you when it will work again. This is a known Issue btw..
Sounds like they need to brush up their change management.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:50 pm

TheTVDB devs are saying they have fixed as much as they are going to fix. Unfortunately RecordedTVHD is still not working. Requests using API v1 & v2 are supported but they are using 301/302 redirects and now require SSL. They are saying it is up to the client app developers to ensure their apps support these things. More on the SSL issues here:
https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=60223

I think the developer of RecordedTVHD has left this project behind and so this may never be fixed which makes me very sad. :cry:

I think RTVHD is unique in it's ability to seamlessly merge broadcast recordings with video files and also support per user favourites. What is the closest alternative? Can anyone recommend a replacement?

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:33 pm

IT Troll wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:50 pmI think the developer of RecordedTVHD has left this project behind and so this may never be fixed which makes me very sad. :cry:
DISCLAIMER: I'm on OTA only!

I've been using the following procedures since Mark updated to version 2.0.2 and then officially abandoned the project. Those of us on OTA get a large amount of data transmitted in our streams. To make RecordedTVHD "whole" again, we only need two things:
  1. Artwork (backdrop and poster)
  2. Season and Episode number (Optional)
These two items can be easily configured using the RecordedTVHD settings module and (optionally) the "DB Browser for SQLite" program mentioned in my previous post.

Workaround for OTA users that are interested:

Bluff City Law was the last episode that was recorded last night so I'm using it as an example. Screenshots, in no particular order, are located here (with descriptions).
  1. Disable the TVDB integration in the RecordedTVHD settings module.
  2. Download a backdrop and poster for each show. NOTE: They must be in "jpg" format.
  3. Override/Apply them to each show using the RecordedTVHD settings module. DO NOT "Save the TVDB ID and update artwork" after the override. Use the X in the upper right corner.
  4. (Optional) Use the DB Browser for SQLite program to update the season/episode numbers and then "Write Changes". On my system the database is located at "C:\Users\Public\RecordedTVHD\database\RecordedTVHDdb.s3db"
That's pretty much it. After applying the artwork you're done. We sort our episodes by "date recorded" so the season/episode numbers are purely aesthetic.

I don't know what the effect would be for cable users. If they receive the same program information as OTA users, then updating the artwork and database may be sufficient.

SIDE NOTE: Using the "DB Browser for SQLite" program allows you to completely modify or change any field used by RecordedTVHD, not just the season/episode numbers. There are also various xml, ini, and txt files that can be modified using Notepad.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:32 pm

I think if you are only using RTVHD with OTA recordings then it will mostly continue to work fine. It will use the guide data for series and episode info, but will probably fail to download the Artwork. In my brief test, the Settings module would still download the artwork if you provided the correct TVDB ID in the override section (you need to look this up manually on TheTVDB website). I am using the last beta version which released in December 2017 (this includes support for API v2 and a few other fixes).

I think it is mostly the search function which is broken. This is more important if you are feeding in video files which need to be identified by filename alone. Having to identify and add them manually is still possible, but a bit of a pain. I do already have and use SQLite Browser as it is useful for cleaning up the Unidentified table.

I think someone smarter than me could write some middleware which would search TheTVDB and update the SQLite database.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:08 pm

I did a little digging and discovered that RTVHD actually uses a library called TvDbSharper from another developer to access the TheTVBD API. RTVHD uses TvDbSharper v1.0.1, but v2.0.0 was released last year.
https://github.com/HristoKolev/TvDbSharper

However, is sounds like this newer version still has some issues following the recent changes to TheTVDB.
https://github.com/HristoKolev/TvDbSharper/issues/14

I did try swapping out the dll with the newer version but this just caused the RTVHD service to fault when attempting to start.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:23 pm

I'm satisfied with my workaround that disconnects the TVDB from RecordedTVHD. The only thing missing is the thumbnail for the episodes, but I'm fine with that.

Continuing "Bluff City Law" in this example.

Main interface:

Program subgroup:

Episode detail: (missing thumbnail)

I'm calling it good! This workaround is quick and trivial for OTA and passes the WAF (which is really what's important here). ;)

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:05 pm

There is nothing wrong with your workaround other than it requires manual intervention. When it comes to video files which need to be identified by filename alone, then you are also missing the description text, air date, etc. which means more manual input.

I am surprised you were doing this manually before last week. Up until then I was finding it would work automatically for 95%+ of my content.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:16 pm

IT Troll wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:05 pmWhen it comes to video files which need to be identified by filename alone, then you are also missing the description text, air date, etc. which means more manual input.
In my case, this is not true. As mentioned before... I'm on OTA which means the broadcast stream includes all the information from the PSIP (or EPG123) which is then captured in the WTV file. The only things I needed to do manually (and only once) is override the artwork and "optionally" the season/episode information.

As shown in the properties of the WTV file that was recorded OTA, the title, subtitle, episode name, recording date, network affiliation, broadcast date, channel number, call sign, description text, etc. are all included.

No manual input necessary.

I think the most important thing I can take away from this is that it took very little effort to satisfy the WAF. Which at my house is the driving force behind our HTPC. ;)
Last edited by StinkyImp on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.