ATSC 3.0

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
ferrellsl

HTPC Specs: Show details

ATSC 3.0

Post by ferrellsl » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:59 am

I live in the metro-Phoenix area and 10 broadcast stations have already committed to the new ATSC 3.0 standard. They have been setting up their transmitters and preparing for the ATSC 3.0 rollout which officially begins on January 1st, 2020. For those not familiar with ATSC 3.0, it's essentially 4K UHD video via OTA broadcasting. USB tuners to decode ATSC 3.0 are absurdly expensive at the moment since they're mostly sold to communications engineers working for the broadcasters to test their transmissions. RedZone sells their receiver kit for $895. https://redzonereceiver.tv/pricing

Several stations in the Phoenix area have already started broadcasting ATSC 3.0 programming and I was wondering if anyone from the Phoenix area or other cities where the rollout has started have tested WMC with one of the new ATSC 3.0 USB tuners and does WMC even support 4K video? I suspect that it doesn't and was wondering what other DVR/PVR apps might support 4K video as well.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:55 pm

On November 14, 2017, the Pearl consortium announced that it would use Phoenix, Arizona as a test market for an ATSC 3.0 transition in 2018. Two days later, the FCC voted 3-2 in favor of an order authorizing voluntary deployments of Next Gen TV (ATSC 3.0); stations that choose to deploy ATSC 3.0 services must continue to maintain an ATSC-compatible signal that is "substantially similar" in programming to their ATSC 3.0 signal, and covers the station's entire community of license. This clause will remain in effect for at least five years; permission from the FCC must be obtained before a full-power station can shut down its ATSC signal, but low-power stations are exempt from the simulcasting requirement and are allowed to flash-cut to ATSC 3.0 if they choose.

I'm going to wait (between now and the ATSC 3.0 apocalypse) to see how this shakes out. Right now $900 for a receiver is ridiculous. As the time draws near we'll see manufacturers creating less costly TV's and tuners.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:54 pm

ATSC 1.0 will live for 5-7 more years.

I fail to understand why ATSC 3.0 is something to chase after right now, especially here in WMC world where none of it will work for daily use.

I might suggest an ATSC 3.0 subsection here all of its own, given how much of a pure science experiment it will all be with respect to WMC.

ferrellsl

Post by ferrellsl » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:06 pm

StinkyImp wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:55 pm On November 14, 2017, the Pearl consortium announced that it would use Phoenix, Arizona as a test market for an ATSC 3.0 transition in 2018. Two days later, the FCC voted 3-2 in favor of an order authorizing voluntary deployments of Next Gen TV (ATSC 3.0); stations that choose to deploy ATSC 3.0 services must continue to maintain an ATSC-compatible signal that is "substantially similar" in programming to their ATSC 3.0 signal, and covers the station's entire community of license. This clause will remain in effect for at least five years; permission from the FCC must be obtained before a full-power station can shut down its ATSC signal, but low-power stations are exempt from the simulcasting requirement and are allowed to flash-cut to ATSC 3.0 if they choose.

I'm going to wait (between now and the ATSC 3.0 apocalypse) to see how this shakes out. Right now $900 for a receiver is ridiculous. As the time draws near we'll see manufacturers creating less costly TV's and tuners.
Yes, I'm quite familiar with the ATSC 3.0 rollout in my area and how expensive the tuners from RedZone are right now. Here are the broadcasters who've already committed to ATSC 3.0 in my area:

Scripps’s KNXV Channel 15 (ABC)
Fox’s KSAZ Channel 10 (FOX)
KUTP Channel 26 (MyTV Network)
Meredith’s KPHO Channel 17 (CBS)
KTVK Channel 24 (Independent)
Nexstar’s KASW Channel 49 (CW Network)
Telemundo’s KTAZ Channel 39 (Telemundo)
TEGNA’s KPNX Channel 12 (NBC)
Univision’s KFPH-CD Channel 35 (UniMas)
KTVW-DT Channel 33 (Univision).

Geniatech, a Korean company sells an ATSC 3.0 USB receiver for $69 but it's sold out at the moment. It's called the A683. You can find more info here: https://www.geniatech.com/product/a683/
Korea implemented the ATSC 3.0 standard back in 2017 so they already have a 2+ year lead on the US.

Again, I'm asking if anyone has used an ATSC 3.0 USB tuner from Geniatech, Redzone, or any other maker to decode 4K video with WMC or with any other DVR/PVR app and does WMC even support 4K video?

ferrellsl

Post by ferrellsl » Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:09 pm

adam1991 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:54 pm ATSC 1.0 will live for 5-7 more years.

I fail to understand why ATSC 3.0 is something to chase after right now, especially here in WMC world where none of it will work for daily use.

I might suggest an ATSC 3.0 subsection here all of its own, given how much of a pure science experiment it will all be with respect to WMC.
How do you know it won't work for daily use? Have you tested it? Because that's what I'm asking. So unless you've tested it with WMC or some other app, you're wasting my time.

It's something to chase after because ATSC 3.0 goes live in less than 6 weeks across the US and it provides OTA 4K UHD programming for my 4K UHD TV sets.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:19 pm

I asked about a similar subject on the silicondust forums. One important thing to bear in mind is that atsc 3.0 doesn't guarantee you will receive 4k or hdr content. They basically told me that if I purchased brand new hardware today, it would likely all be dead by the time the networks started providing the content. It's really up to the networks to provide shows at 4k hdr, and switching over is expensive.

ferrellsl

Post by ferrellsl » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm

jachin99 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:19 pm I asked about a similar subject on the silicondust forums. One important thing to bear in mind is that atsc 3.0 doesn't guarantee you will receive 4k or hdr content. They basically told me that if I purchased brand new hardware today, it would likely all be dead by the time the networks started providing the content. It's really up to the networks to provide shows at 4k hdr, and switching over is expensive.
Why do people insist on telling me what I already know and then skip my questions? There are already 10 networks in the Phoenix area that are simulcasting ATSC 3.0/1.0 and at least 7 of them are broadcasting 4K content. They've been broadcasting 4K content in the Phoenix valley for months now. Is it my imagination or does everyone who responds to my posts have a reading comprehension problem?

I SAY AGAIN, FOR THE 3RD TIME, has anyone used an ATSC 3.0 USB tuner from Geniatech, Redzone, or any other maker to decode 4K ATSC 3.0 video with WMC or with any other DVR/PVR app and does WMC even support 4K video? If you haven't tested this, then I'd appreciate you not responding. I don't need any lessons on the ATSC 3.0 standard.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:00 am

ferrellsl wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:09 pm
adam1991 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:54 pm ATSC 1.0 will live for 5-7 more years.

How do you know it won't work for daily use? Have you tested it? Because that's what I'm asking. So unless you've tested it with WMC or some other app, you're wasting my time.
Frankly, you're wasting everyone's time here.
It's something to chase after because ATSC 3.0 goes live in less than 6 weeks across the US and it provides OTA 4K UHD programming for my 4K UHD TV sets.
Good. So chase after it in its own subsection, where it belongs.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:14 am

ferrellsl wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm
jachin99 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:19 pm I asked about a similar subject on the silicondust forums. One important thing to bear in mind is that atsc 3.0 doesn't guarantee you will receive 4k or hdr content. They basically told me that if I purchased brand new hardware today, it would likely all be dead by the time the networks started providing the content. It's really up to the networks to provide shows at 4k hdr, and switching over is expensive.
Why do people insist on telling me what I already know and then skip my questions? There are already 10 networks in the Phoenix area that are simulcasting ATSC 3.0/1.0 and at least 7 of them are broadcasting 4K content. They've been broadcasting 4K content in the Phoenix valley for months now. Is it my imagination or does everyone who responds to my posts have a reading comprehension problem?

I SAY AGAIN, FOR THE 3RD TIME, has anyone used an ATSC 3.0 USB tuner from Geniatech, Redzone, or any other maker to decode 4K ATSC 3.0 video with WMC or with any other DVR/PVR app and does WMC even support 4K video? If you haven't tested this, then I'd appreciate you not responding. I don't need any lessons on the ATSC 3.0 standard.
With the right codecs and registry tweaks wmc supports 4k resolution and h265 compression. If you want to know if a specific tuner works you will probably have to buy it and find out. The best advice I can give you is make sure they do refunds.

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:23 pm

ferrellsl wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm I live in the metro-Phoenix area and...
#MeToo
ferrellsl wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pmWhy do people insist on telling me what I already know and then skip my questions?
Is it my imagination or does everyone who responds to my posts have a reading comprehension problem?

I SAY AGAIN, FOR THE 3RD TIME...
Did you ever stop to think that you're on a public forum where people are allowed to express their OWN opinion? I've been watching this rollout for years and I'm just as curious as you are.

To answer your (very rude) question... Nope! I haven't used any ATSC 3.0 tuner but If you'd like to purchase one and be the trailblazer, we'd all love to know what you find out. :wave:
Last edited by StinkyImp on Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:55 pm

There's something in the air. Last week it was Mr. Retired CEO Expert who attacked Gary in a similar wackadoodle manner.

ferrellsl

Post by ferrellsl » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:24 am

StinkyImp wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:23 pm
ferrellsl wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm I live in the metro-Phoenix area and...
#MeToo
ferrellsl wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pmWhy do people insist on telling me what I already know and then skip my questions?
Is it my imagination or does everyone who responds to my posts have a reading comprehension problem?

Did you ever stop to think that you're on a public forum where people are allowed to express their OWN opinion? I've been watching this rollout for years and I'm just as curious as you are.

To answer your (very rude) question... Nope! I haven't used any ATSC 3.0 tuner but If you'd like to purchase one and be the trailblazer, we'd all love to know what you find out. :wave:
I'm not asking for opinions. I'm asking for factual information regarding tests. You're the one being rude and amazingly ignorant of the difference between facts and opinions.

ferrellsl

Post by ferrellsl » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:31 am

jachin99 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:14 am
ferrellsl wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:38 pm

With the right codecs and registry tweaks WMC supports 4k resolution and h265 compression. If you want to know if a specific tuner works you will probably have to buy it and find out. The best advice I can give you is make sure they do refunds.
Thanks jachin99. That's the first answer here of any substance in regard to my questions. I was hoping that some of the folks who frequent this forum were beta-testers or test engineers for the networks who have been broadcasting ATSC 3.0 for some months now and had access to the new tuners from Geniatech or RedZone for testing. Apparently they know to steer clear of this place as it's frequented by people who don't know the difference between test results and opinions....as well as folks with reading comprehension problems who keep assuming that I'm looking for ATSC 3.0 standards info.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:18 am

ferrellsl wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:24 am
StinkyImp wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:23 pm
#MeToo

I'm not asking for opinions. I'm asking for factual information regarding tests. You're the one being rude and amazingly ignorant of the difference between facts and opinions.
Did you ever stop to think that you're on a public forum where people are allowed to express their OWN opinion?

You're being rude and amazingly ignorant of what someplace like this actually is.

hansolo89

Post by hansolo89 » Sat May 01, 2021 3:36 am