Problem with replacement Microsoft Media Center IR remote setup

pbcopter

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problem with replacement Microsoft Media Center IR remote setup

Post by pbcopter » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:17 pm

I have Windows Media Center (WMC) working normally in Windows 8.1 complete with the Microsoft IR remote model 1040 able to tune a set top cable box via IR emitters.

My brother asked to borrow the remote setup and I said OK. I said I would get another.
I subsequently bought a new replacement model 1040 on Ebay.

I plugged it in and although it could change channels, volume, etc., it is unable to tune the set top cable box since the IR emitters appeared not to work.
At first I thought that I had received a bad device from the Ebay seller but as a last resort, I did a complete re-setup of WMC and all appeared to work normally again.

Sounds like a happy ending BUT I have over 100 manually added channels and I really hate to re-enter them again.

I tried uninstalling the IR remote from the device manager and letting the system reinstall it again but no luck.
The only way I was able to get it working was a complete re setup of WMC.

My question is, What does WMC see differently with a new remote setup that prevents the IR emitters from working until a re setup is made?
It there a setting some where in the Registry, etc. that can be changed to allow the replacement remote setup to work?

I find it hard to believe that Microsoft would require a re-setup for just a hardware replacement.

Thank you for any suggestions.

technodevotee

Post by technodevotee » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:49 am

my guess is that WMC links its internal functionality to the GUID of the device and the replacement device has a different GUID.

I presume the reason is that you might have multiple versions of some devices and that is how it keeps track of them.

the same thing happens with tuners.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:17 am

Also windows will install device new device drivers every time you plug a USB device into a different port meaning if you plug your device into 4 different ports then you'll have 4 of the same driver installed I believe.

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:46 pm

Is there any reason to believe the remote had been programmed like this, perhaps? And maybe was influencing function?

" "Set Remote Control ID - To enable your Media Center to respond to a specific remote control ID do the following; 1. Press and hold the DVD Menu key on the remote then press a number button (1-8) for 5 seconds. Remotes with visible LED signal indicators will blink twice to confirm the change. 2. Enter that same number below. 3. Save. 4. Restart the Media Center PC. Note: To enable Media Center to respond to all remotes use the number 0. A reboot is required for this setting to take effect.

· Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

· Registry value - CodeSetNum0

· Registry value data type - REG_DWORD

This setting also requires deleting the following registry values:

· Registry key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\HidIr\Remotes\745a17a0-74d3-11d0-b6fe-00a0c90f57da

· Registry value - CodeSetNum1

· Registry value - CodeSetNum2

· Registry value - CodeSetNum3

Richard Miller Media Center MVP 2006 " "

ALSO,
I had, at one point, a long time ago, one that I never got around to checking out;
For a couple months, the MC remote would all of a sudden stop controlling certain functions.
I believe the stop button wouldn't work, even though I could see the receiver responding.
There was more than one button, but I can't recall. Not interested in spending the time to
diagnose it at that time, I found that unplugging it, the receiver, and plugging it back in
would temporarily eliminate the problem. Same usb port or different didn't matter.
I can't say if that particular remote is still in use here or not. The problem is gone.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:58 am

As a quick check, if you have a digital camera like an android or ipad tablet, point the camera at the emitter and try changing channels. You should be able to see the emitter pulsing out the required cable box codes on the viewfinder screen. If its not lighting up, something isnt working.

Try it with a standard remote to see what you looking for. Point a remote at the camera and press a button.

Also, as I recall from XP, there was a setup procedure where you tweak the emitters to the proper timing. Did you go through that?

Its been so long since i've last seen an emitter. Most everyone uses cable cards nowadays.