Repeated prompts to set up CableCARD in WMC 7

KeithLa

HTPC Specs: Show details

Repeated prompts to set up CableCARD in WMC 7

Post by KeithLa » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:32 am

I've had Ceton InfiniTV 4 PCI tuner adapter running nearly flawlessly with Xfinity on Win7 MCE for years, with just one persistent snag: Occasional prompts in Recorded TV asking "Do you want to set up CableCARD now?" (or something similar), with two buttons to select "Set Up Now" or "Set Up Later". I always "Set Up Later" to dismiss and continue using WMC normally.

Ceton diagnostics indicate no issues, and I've recently rerun the TV setup wizard when switching to EPG123, yet this issue continues.

I've searched this forum a few times over the years looking for others experiencing this, or know a solution.

Anyone familiar with this?

gkr321

Post by gkr321 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:41 pm

I've had that pop up in the past. I clicked yes, all that does is show you the info you need when you call the cable co. Havent seen it since.

KeithLa

Post by KeithLa » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:38 am

gkr321 wrote:I've had that pop up in the past. I clicked yes, all that does is show you the info you need when you call the cable co. Havent seen it since.
Thanks, though I think my problem is different, selecting Setup Now opens the tuner configuration wizard.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:52 pm

KeithLa wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:38 am
gkr321 wrote:I've had that pop up in the past. I clicked yes, all that does is show you the info you need when you call the cable co. Havent seen it since.
Thanks, though I think my problem is different, selecting Setup Now opens the tuner configuration wizard.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Could be a failing cablecard or PCI card. While in WMC, slide out the cablecard and put it back in, you will get the same message. This normally happens when WMC detects a card removed and re-added. Sometimes just clicking Setup now going through the wizard solves it

If this keeps happening, Maybe open your case, and pull out your PCI card and put it back in, just to re-seat it, and make sure the cablecard is tight.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

joelkirzner

Post by joelkirzner » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:24 pm

I've had this happen occasionally. What I suspect is happening is your modem/router may be rebooting randomly. When this happens, Ceton or HD HomeRun tuners lose network connectivity. When things return online, WMC detects a seemingly "new" device, which prompts that Cablecard setup.
Could be something else entirely, but it's really a non-issue if you just hit "set up later" and move on.

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:16 am

If that is what is causing it you may be able to set a DHCP reseervation in your router for the device. Then it will always have the same ip address and should not look like a "new" device. I never see this message and I have reservations for my HD Homerun tuners set in my router.