Recording Schedule

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
mldenison

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recording Schedule

Post by mldenison » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:09 pm

Is there any way to export the recording schedule (Station, Channel, Recording Name, Time) from WMC? Maybe an EPG123 utility?

Thanks

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:36 am

Not from EPG123. I'm not even sure it can be pulled from the database. WMC will create a task "StartRecording" for the first scheduled recording, but not for the rest.

What exactly are you looking for?
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:14 pm

I just bought a Fire Stick and am using Hulu for TV shows on one TV for evaluation to see if it's a suitable Xfinity replacement. I've got a number of shows on WMC and would like to record them on Hulu. It's pretty tedious to look each one up on Hulu in their guide every evening and add it to their recording schedule. If I had a list I could refer to, I could easily search for them. Too bad EPG won't work on Hulu. Their guide is a bit primitive.

This all started when my Xfinity bill rose to $267/mo for Triple Play. They offered me a $20/mo discount on my bill, but any changes to my package means I lose the ID channel. Without any changes, ID is 'grandfathered'. The final straw was last week when they pulled TMC from the Preferred tier and added it to their 'Sports and Entertainment' package which would be an additional $9.95/mo.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:30 pm

bah. Old school. Bring up your series schedule on the screen, and take a screenshot or a picture of it.

Scroll down. Rinse, repeat.

BTW, you really don't need the grid-based appointment pay TV. There's so much other stuff out there, without commercials or the hasslek/limitations of DVR, that you can't possibly run out of things to watch.

(Remember, DVR on something like Hulu Live frequently means that if you DVR it and they offer it via an on-demand alternative, they can't/won't show you your DVR version--they'll show you the on-demand version, in which they have complete control and prevent you from FF through commercials. They do that in order keep you from skipping over commercials. They want to shove the commercials down your throat. This is how Playstation Vue was.)

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:47 pm

I'll probably do the screenshots - it's a one time deal. Hulu lets you upgrade their DVR for $15 which gives you 200 hours of recording and lets you skip commercials. Still way cheaper than Xfinity.

Space

Post by Space » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:51 pm

With Remote Potato you can get a list of the upcoming shows that are scheduled to record. It sets up a web server that you connect to via your web browser and it has an HTML and Silverlight interface.

The website for Remote Potato is down, but I think you can find copies of it around.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:13 pm

For screen shots, you could use the Transfer Tool from EPG123 ... it will show all your recording requests but won't show what channels they are on.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:30 pm

Well, that's pretty cool! Wish I'd have known about Remote Potato years ago. Easy setup. Thanks.

Appreciate the tip, Gary.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:35 am

Glad you found it useful. I had forgotten that someone else had asked for a copy or Remote Potato and I had uploaded a copy here on the forums, also there is a patch to get it working on Windows 8.1 (as opposed to Windows 7, I don't know if it works on Windows 10). Here is the post for anyone else looking to use Remote Potato:
viewtopic.php?t=12102

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:32 pm

All good now. And it only took around 15 minutes. I opened Remote Potato after install it on the HTPC, on my other PC through the web browser. And opened Hulu on my other PC. I picked off shows from one browser and searched on Hulu for the show, adding it to the Hulu DVR. Out of around 30 shows on various networks, there was only one Christian channel my wife watches that's not on Hulu. Pretty easy!

Space

Post by Space » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:09 pm

Yeah, being able to cut and paste is a lot easier than having to type it in, copying from a jpg image.