Will there be a Wiki or Guide for Win 10?

Discussion of getting WMC to work on Windows 10 (unsupported)
think1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Will there be a Wiki or Guide for Win 10?

Post by think1 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:30 pm

I'm running WMC on Win 7 with EPG123 and a Ceton InfiniTV 4 and have been using WMC for at least a decade (pre-Win 7).

For the less technically inclined, is there a Wiki or Guide on how to move to Win 10 and get it working reliably?

If that's not possible at this point, is there a roadmap for how to take your existing setup and make it as bulletproof as possible as a standalone Win7 WMC machine? (software to remove, firewall settings, etc.)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:18 pm

think1 wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:30 pm If that's not possible at this point, is there a roadmap for how to take your existing setup and make it as bulletproof as possible as a standalone Win7 WMC machine?
The best roadmap for how to take your existing setup and make it as bulletproof as possible is to leave it alone!

Yes, after January 2020, there won't be any more updates for Windows 7. However, if you are not using the system for every day Internet use, the security risk is minimal. If you are still concerned about updates, you can try to find an WMC activation key for WMC 8.1 on ebay.

Forget about WMC on Windows 10 as a stable solution. The only versions available are not supplied by Microsoft and have their own issues.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:03 am

Scallica is correct.. The best thing to do is to have your W7 WMC machine strictly do WMC tasks. If you use the machine to do other tasks (i.e. play games) it would be strongly suggested that you get another computer to do those tasks.

The other option as mentioned, would be to see about getting a W8.1 Pro key and WMC for Win 8.1 key on ebay and hope that it activates and all the necessary components install, unless you had took advantage of the cheap W8 key and free/$10 WMC key when it was offered. I will say that I did do a W8.1 and WMC install and activation a couple of months ago and didn't have any issues.

For W10, the current "aftermarket" WMC version does not work with cable card tuners and have not worked for the past couple of years.

Edgar_in_Indy

Post by Edgar_in_Indy » Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:36 pm

choliscott wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:03 am The other option as mentioned, would be to see about getting a W8.1 Pro key and WMC for Win 8.1 key on ebay and hope that it activates and all the necessary components install, unless you had took advantage of the cheap W8 key and free/$10 WMC key when it was offered.
Do these Windows 8 WMC keys actually show up on eBay? I've done a couple searches recently, including completed listings, and haven't seen anything.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:53 am

I have no idea if they are or not. When MS was selling and even gave free keys, I made sure to get myself a few, along with the cheap W8 keys

Edgar_in_Indy

Post by Edgar_in_Indy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:35 pm

I just ask, because I've seen a few threads where people suggest just picking up a Window 8/WMC key from eBay, like it's something simple. But as far as I can tell, it's not even possible. I didn't know if there was something I'm missing.