Ways to Improve XBox 360/Powerline Adapter Performance?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
misterpunn

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ways to Improve XBox 360/Powerline Adapter Performance?

Post by misterpunn » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:14 pm

For some reason, the last month or so, using my XBox 360-S to watch live or recorded TV has been practically unbearable. It takes close to a minute for my XBox to connect and download from my HTPC. Watching live or recorded TV. the picture will be okay for a few seconds, then stutter, lose sync with the audio, freeze, and pop back into normal for about 15 seconds before the troubles repeat themselves. I have my XBox connected via powerline adapter and it had almost always been flawless in the past, but now I can't really use it at all due to the issues.

In the past, if I was experiencing this issue, it was because my C:// drive was near capacity. Once I moved all my recorded shows to the external hard drive, my XBox WMC would flow smoothly. However, I have maximized the open space on my C:// drive and using my XBox as an extender still lags and freezes. I feel like the issue is either with my HTPC or with my XBox (but specific to WMC, because my XBox connects to the internet via that same powerline very quickly) and I don't feel it is a powerline hardware issue. I feel like there's something disrupting the connection between the HTPC and my XBox, but I don't know if it is on the HTPC's end (which I suspect) or on the XBox end. I've thought about just removing the extender and re-setting it up, but I'm afraid the signal now will be too weak for it to even be recognized and I don't want to lose everything. I've also removed unused apps on my XBox to free space there and that hasn't worked either. My recycle bin is empty on my HTPC, and restarting my HTCP in an effort to establish a "fresh" connection between the HTPC and XBox hasn't helped either. I am out of ideas.

Does anyone know of anything that might help fix this? Are there ways to improve performance of the powerline adapters or just get a better connection or "transmission" out from my HTPC?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Are you hardwired or using Wi-FI ? Is your 360 out of space ?

If your using the powerline adapters, I would unplug the whole system and then pulg it back in, same with your router (if your using one). and see if that helps
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

misterpunn

Post by misterpunn » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:34 pm

I'm sorry for the delay! MY XBox is hardwired in the sense that it is using an ethernet cable connecting to a powerline adapter in the wall, but I don't have wiring in my house for actual ethernet, so the XBox isn't plugged directly to an ethernet port (again, it's running through a powerline adapter.) It is not on WiFi. I have plenty of space on the XBox, as well, so I don't think that's the issue. I will try re-setting all my powerline adapters and re-syncing them this weekend and report back!