WMC Start Menu Status Logo

An evolving, supported alternative to Rovi
Forum rules
★ Download the latest EPG123 here: https://garyan2.github.io/ <> Setup guide here: https://garyan2.github.io/install.html
Sstn

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Start Menu Status Logo

Post by Sstn » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:36 am

Just getting started with epg123. Appears to be working okay but see the red x logo. Can't find in the user's guide what the green, yellow and red statuses mean. Please advise. Thanks.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:19 am

Sstn wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:36 am Just getting started with epg123. Appears to be working okay but see the red x logo. Can't find in the user's guide what the green, yellow and red statuses mean. Please advise. Thanks.
- Logo includes '+' = update available
- Logo is RED = trace log contains '[ERROR]' msg(s), refer to log
- Logo is AMBER = trace log contains '[WARNG]' msg(s), refer to log
- Logo is GREEN = trace log contains no '[ERROR]' or '[WARNG]' msg(s)

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Yes, we'll need to look at the trace.log file to see what the [ERROR] is. On either the configuration GUI, or the client GUI, click the [View Log] button to bring it up.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

Sstn

Post by Sstn » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:52 pm

Thanks. I did a save and execute and got the guide listings to update and have the green logo again. Not sure what the rules are for watching shows in WMC/recording shows in WMC/just having WMC open at the time of the scheduled listings update to ensure it runs properly and returns a green status. Appreciate an explanation.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 am

Sstn wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:52 pm Thanks. I did a save and execute and got the guide listings to update and have the green logo again. Not sure what the rules are for watching shows in WMC/recording shows in WMC/just having WMC open at the time of the scheduled listings update to ensure it runs properly and returns a green status. Appreciate an explanation.
The logo is generated at the end of the guide listing being imported into the database. By default, the import will be delayed for up to 5 hours if WMC is recording anything. The 5 hour limit can be bypassed, but there have been reports that an import during recording has caused the recordings to be aborted. There are no other concerns or limitations on when the import can happen and WMC can be open during the update without a problem.

The only one oddity for the status logo is I believe WMC has to be restarted in order to see the latest image... I'll have to find my notes on that one.

Your first stop for any Warning or Error should be the trace.log file ([View Log] button) to get a description of the problem.
- Gary

Sstn

Post by Sstn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:47 am

garyan2 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:06 am
Sstn wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:52 pm Thanks. I did a save and execute and got the guide listings to update and have the green logo again. Not sure what the rules are for watching shows in WMC/recording shows in WMC/just having WMC open at the time of the scheduled listings update to ensure it runs properly and returns a green status. Appreciate an explanation.
The logo is generated at the end of the guide listing being imported into the database. By default, the import will be delayed for up to 5 hours if WMC is recording anything. The 5 hour limit can be bypassed, but there have been reports that an import during recording has caused the recordings to be aborted. There are no other concerns or limitations on when the import can happen and WMC can be open during the update without a problem.

The only one oddity for the status logo is I believe WMC has to be restarted in order to see the latest image... I'll have to find my notes on that one.

Your first stop for any Warning or Error should be the trace.log file ([View Log] button) to get a description of the problem.
Thanks. I did experience interrupted recording (and needed to unplug my external tv tuner box to reset) when I tried to run the listings update while recording so now I understand why and have changed the listings update time. Glad to know I can continue to keep WMC open most of the time (or watch a recording) without it interrupting the listings update.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:07 am

Sstn wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:47 amThanks. I did experience interrupted recording (and needed to unplug my external tv tuner box to reset) when I tried to run the listings update while recording so now I understand why and have changed the listings update time. Glad to know I can continue to keep WMC open most of the time (or watch a recording) without it interrupting the listings update.
Hmm. I was never able to reproduce this, but put in the safeguards for the scheduled task to delay the import during recordings. I treated the manual import from the client to be a forced import regardless of recording state, but your experience tells me I need to add a warning for the user to understand the risks.

Do you download a lot of channels/days? Maybe I couldn't recreate because my generated MXF files tend to be on the smaller size.
- Gary

Sstn

Post by Sstn » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:48 am

garyan2 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:07 am
Sstn wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:47 amThanks. I did experience interrupted recording (and needed to unplug my external tv tuner box to reset) when I tried to run the listings update while recording so now I understand why and have changed the listings update time. Glad to know I can continue to keep WMC open most of the time (or watch a recording) without it interrupting the listings update.
Hmm. I was never able to reproduce this, but put in the safeguards for the scheduled task to delay the import during recordings. I treated the manual import from the client to be a forced import regardless of recording state, but your experience tells me I need to add a warning for the user to understand the risks.

Do you download a lot of channels/days? Maybe I couldn't recreate because my generated MXF files tend to be on the smaller size.
I selected about 90 channels and 21 days to download. In any case, it's not a concern since I changed the listings update time to be when I never record. Very happy to have this program to keep WMC alive. Thank you.

lgriggs25

Post by lgriggs25 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:11 pm

I am a new user, installed epg123 on 2 WMC/windows7 so far and really like the ICONs and look, I have a Media Server running Win10 that the Server portion of the EPG123 is running on, from what I can tell all is setup and working but I see the "Amber" icon with a date under it, what does the date refer to? and how do I trouble shoot the amber icon? I looked at the trace logs but could not tell what the issue is from looking. Initially I thought it was the Scheduled Task, so updated the credentials on the task with a admin level permission and I also used your task to create a manual update shortcut so I could just manual test the update. I ran that shortcut before posting this and did not see any errors, the tray icon when hovering over said downloading guide and then went away, the date below the icon still says 10/14/2019.

Also I noticed after running the manual update, that I have a issue with a channel subscribed wrong, is there a preferred way to have all channels in the house subscribed identically when using Client Server Config? I had to spend a fair amount of time mapping the scanned QAM channels to the correct subscribed listings, so I would like that part to be final on all TV WMC computers and not change.

d00zah

Post by d00zah » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:34 pm

The date below the icon is when the task last ran.

The amber icon indicates you have a warning in the log:

[9/7/2019 3:30:50 AM] [WARNG] Time discontinuity detected. Service 68344 (CSPANHD) SH012857740000 (entry 17) ends at 2019-09-08 00:04:00Z, EP032748670047 (entry 18) starts at 2019-09-08 00:00:00Z. No further discontinuities on CSPANHD will be reported for the date 2019-09-08.

These are, for the most part, benign & typically resolve in a day, or 2.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:58 am

lgriggs25 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:11 pm I am a new user, installed epg123 on 2 WMC/windows7 so far and really like the ICONs and look, I have a Media Server running Win10 that the Server portion of the EPG123 is running on, from what I can tell all is setup and working but I see the "Amber" icon with a date under it, what does the date refer to? and how do I trouble shoot the amber icon? I looked at the trace logs but could not tell what the issue is from looking. Initially I thought it was the Scheduled Task, so updated the credentials on the task with a admin level permission and I also used your task to create a manual update shortcut so I could just manual test the update. I ran that shortcut before posting this and did not see any errors, the tray icon when hovering over said downloading guide and then went away, the date below the icon still says 10/14/2019.

Also I noticed after running the manual update, that I have a issue with a channel subscribed wrong, is there a preferred way to have all channels in the house subscribed identically when using Client Server Config? I had to spend a fair amount of time mapping the scanned QAM channels to the correct subscribed listings, so I would like that part to be final on all TV WMC computers and not change.
The date on the bottom of the icon is basically the date that stamp was created. It is another way to tell if something may be going wrong. For example, if the date was 4 days ago, then you know your guide hasn't been updated in the last 4 days even though the icon may be green. So...

Green with current date … everything good.
Yellow with current date … there is a warning and some stations may not be up-to-date. Newly added is if your Schedules Direct membership is due to expire in 3 - 14 days. You can find the cause in the trace.log file by looking for [WARNG] entries.
Red with current date … no/failed updates. Newly added is if your Schedules Direct membership will expire within 3 days. You can find the cause in the trace.log file by looking for the [ERROR] entries.

Anything with an older date probably means your task did not run. First place to look would be the Scheduled Task.

As for channel subscriptions, this is not something that EPG123 can sync between computers. Not at the moment anyway. I might be able to get creative and work something out, but I'm not sure how much of a need there is for something like that. I'll have to think about it.
- Gary